Twitter sycophancy

Re: Twitter sycophancy

Postby John_E on Sun 25 Jun 2017, 10:53 am

Dan O'Hagan wrote:Something I was told a few years back and remains true to this day, the RAF are your best friends when they want something...

To be fair, about seven years ago I was contacted by a Tucano student wanting some hi-res shots from LFA17. He asked for my address and sent me a personalised Squadron Print signed by the course. Maybe it's something that gets drilled out of them before they get their wings?
John_E

Postby Private Custard on Sun 25 Jun 2017, 11:03 am

And this BS is one of the reasons I backed away from the hobby, have abandoned social media, and haven't even picked my camera up in six months. It just seems utterly pointless nowadays. It's a circle-jerk, nothing more, nothing less, and I've got no patience for brown-nosing.

And with that said, I'll log out now and see you all in another six months!
Private Custard

Postby Arthur Tee on Sun 25 Jun 2017, 11:04 am

Dan O'Hagan wrote:
Something I was told a few years back and remains true to this day, the RAF are your best friends when they want something...

Very true - especially when certain 'individuals' will give the 'togs' the heads-up of something special such 'sporty activity' in the Loop - and then let the other photographers flame an individual for publishing a 'burners' shot.
The majority of the Loopers tend to ignore the fact that it's the pilot breaking the rules...! :lol:
Canon PowerShot SX40HS - It's not what you've got - it's what you do with it!
Arthur Tee

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Sun 25 Jun 2017, 11:12 am

Arthur Tee wrote:
Dan O'Hagan wrote:
Something I was told a few years back and remains true to this day, the RAF are your best friends when they want something...

Very true - especially when certain 'individuals' will give the 'togs' the heads-up of something special such 'sporty activity' in the Loop - and then let the other photographers flame an individual for publishing a 'burners' shot.
The majority of the Loopers tend to ignore the fact that it's the pilot breaking the rules...! :lol:

Indeed, I remember the rumours of the display Hawk that nearly became part of the Welsh landscape on such a "heads-up" sortie a few years back...
Dan O'Hagan

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Sun 25 Jun 2017, 11:21 am

Dan O'Hagan wrote:
John_E wrote:The ability to 'Turn off retweets' has been an absolute godsend for me, it means I don't see the stuff retweeted ad infinitem by the 3 or 4 'celebrity togs'/stalkers from Coningsby. I've also noticed a recent trend for people to tag one or two of these individuals in their own terrible photos, presumably in a desperate search for retweets.

I stopped tagging the Typhoon lot in anything without a central watermark after they took one of my photos last year and reposted it with the watermark cropped out. I also sent Mark Long a hi-res shot after he DM'd me via Twitter asking for it - I didn't even get a reply saying 'thanks' whereas certain others would have been invited for a personal tour of Coningsby.

Agreed, although it may have been me that said that to you. :grin:

I didn't even get so much as a "thank you" from anyone involved. I only heard that they were done with me via a third party. They'll drop you like a stone once you've served your purpose...
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Postby Harvo266 on Sun 25 Jun 2017, 11:26 am

I said I wasn't going to get involved, but I feel I must say something...

For those of you who think the pilot(s) just RT or share photos because of the people who post them etc, then trust me - you're far from the truth. This years Typhoon Display pilot has told me that he shares photos that people tag him in, that he likes - nothing to do with the person posting them. The pilot is a really decent guy who I've been lucky enough to get to know quite well as well as the rest of the team and he truly doesn't care about if an image is 'bad quality' he just likes them for what they are. However, saying that, he does like to see the images that are crystal clear and pin sharp.

I don't really understand why some of you who are slating the pilot and team, are following them?? If you don't like what is being shared, then just unfollow them!! I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of you who are complaining, would be the ones that would start drooling if you met the pilot....
Shuttleworth SP
Torbay
Cosford
Weston
Yeovilton
RIAT
FIA
Eastbourne - Weather :(
Bournemouth
Duxford

Nikon D500
Harvo266

Postby cg_341 on Sun 25 Jun 2017, 12:37 pm

Harvo266 wrote:This years Typhoon Display pilot has told me that he shares photos that people tag him in, that he likes - nothing to do with the person posting them.

He must only like the photos taken by a small number of people then, even if they're not...
Harvo266 wrote:crystal clear and pin sharp.

Harvo266 wrote:I don't really understand why some of you who are slating the pilot and team, are following them?? If you don't like what is being shared, then just unfollow them!! I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of you who are complaining, would be the ones that would start drooling if you met the pilot....

Because other than the photo circle-jerk (a good choice of term Private Custard!) they actually post some useful information occasionally...
cg_341

Postby JJC on Sun 25 Jun 2017, 12:58 pm

Yep. Had to mute several 'professional photographers' ( :clown: ) who seem to do no more than sit outside Coningsby 5 days a week, just to avoid seeing all the brown nosing and desperate attention seeking from a select few. The sad thing is it seems to work, and my timeline was snided with below average guff prior to this.
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''
JJC

Postby toom317 on Sun 25 Jun 2017, 1:47 pm

JJC wrote:Yep. Had to mute several 'professional photographers' ( :clown: ) who seem to do no more than sit outside Coningsby 5 days a week, just to avoid seeing all the brown nosing and desperate attention seeking from a select few. The sad thing is it seems to work, and my timeline was snided with below average guff prior to this.

If you want a good laugh, go to some of their websites. "Joe Bloggs, Aviation Photographer" , "Joe Bloggs Photography", et al, and have a look at their non aviation snaps. Hilarious stuff. My favourite has to be the one I went on a few months back, and among his menu's was one headed Foreign Travel. This consisted of a few touristy, happy snaps, taken on what looked to be a weekend visit to a European capital.

Any idiot can machine gun loads of shots of a plane going by at warp 7, and at least one of them will be in focus, and half decent. I doubt a vast majority of these "professional photographers" make any, or little, income from aviation or any other photographed subject matter.
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.
toom317
UKAR Supporter

Postby J Cox on Sun 25 Jun 2017, 5:26 pm

Harvo266 wrote:I don't really understand why some of you who are slating the pilot and team, are following them?? If you don't like what is being shared, then just unfollow them!! I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of you who are complaining, would be the ones that would start drooling if you met the pilot....

I would love to meet the pilot, I would love my 6 year old boy to meet the pilot and have his photo taken with him. I would probably send a tweet later in the day saying how much he enjoyed seeing the display.

These are the tweets we don't see often enough, it's the constant same old nothing special photos that get praised over and over again.

I looked through one particular Twitter timeline and counted 20 photos that were posted within the hour and all had the pilot / pilots and team tagged in them.

Why?
J Cox

Postby Harvo266 on Sun 25 Jun 2017, 5:37 pm

J Cox wrote:

I would love to meet the pilot, I would love my 6 year old boy to meet the pilot and have his photo taken with him. I would probably send a tweet later in the day saying how much he enjoyed seeing the display.

These are the tweets we don't see often enough, it's the constant same old nothing special photos that get praised over and over again.

I looked through one particular Twitter timeline and counted 20 photos that were posted within the hour and all had the pilot / pilots and team tagged in them.

Why?

Whilst the pilot doesn't share photos or tweets, he almost always replies so if you go to the 'Tweets and Replies' section on his profile you may see some of his replies. Posting that amount of photos in an hour is a bit OTT but I know a few people use twitter as a storage place so that if they ever lose photos, they'll all be on twitter (even though they'd be lower quality).

I do hope you get to meet Ryan, the pilot this year - he's a great guy who has a lot of time for the public :up:
Shuttleworth SP
Torbay
Cosford
Weston
Yeovilton
RIAT
FIA
Eastbourne - Weather :(
Bournemouth
Duxford

Nikon D500
Harvo266

Postby rob68 on Sun 25 Jun 2017, 8:32 pm

Isn't any social media outlet just another way to feed ones own ego? The more likes the better. If you're good you'll make a fortune
rob68

Postby globemaster50 on Sun 25 Jun 2017, 9:32 pm

I'm glad it's not just me who has noticed this. I only follow a few of the RAF display teams (ok there are only a few anyway!) but noticed the Typhoon's twitter feed seems to be dominated by retweeted shots by one photographer in particular even though they were taken weeks ago and we have had several other displays since :roll:
globemaster50

Postby J Cox on Sun 25 Jun 2017, 9:48 pm

Harvo266 wrote:I do hope you get to meet Ryan, the pilot this year - he's a great guy who has a lot of time for the public :up:

No doubt he is, thank you :up:
J Cox

Postby smokey on Sun 25 Jun 2017, 10:04 pm

Can't say I really understand it just seems like snobbery from the UKAR elite. If you post images on here it's not much different to any other form of social media. There is certainly an element on here who like to blow smoke up each other in regard to each others images and then ignore other good images because there not in the in crowd.

Each to their own I say. :smile:
Rich in Rutland
smokey

Postby jingernut on Sun 25 Jun 2017, 10:11 pm

Don't really see any problem with it. Just had a look over the Typhoon display timeline and there seems to be a nice mix of amateur and semi-pro photographs. Sad world if this is what gets people wound up nowadays.
jingernut

Postby Tommy on Sun 25 Jun 2017, 10:29 pm

*awaits social media backlash, childhood insults, and people calling us a bunch of sad, fat, sexist old men for raising the issue*

Like I, and others have said, if people cared to read instead of pick certain bits to rage at; social media is a wonderful tool and gives a level of connection between official accounts and the public. It's really nice to see (ironically, I recall four and a half(!) years ago now DanO talking about the lovliness of social media with Yv at the BBMF in a display frequency podcast)

The issue, for me at least, is as I set out above. Woe betide you try and photography a Typhoon display from "unofficial viewing areas" at an Airshow, but toodle along to CBY or Scampton on a nice March morning and snap away at un-certified practice displays, and stick those on social media and the official team accounts or whomever, are perfectly happy to give them maximum publicity (and, it could be argued, encourage more lay public to go and watch).
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Mon 26 Jun 2017, 7:57 am

Tommy wrote:*awaits social media backlash, childhood insults, and people calling us a bunch of sad, fat, sexist old men for raising the issue*

Like I, and others have said, if people cared to read instead of pick certain bits to rage at; social media is a wonderful tool and gives a level of connection between official accounts and the public. It's really nice to see (ironically, I recall four and a half(!) years ago now DanO talking about the lovliness of social media with Yv at the BBMF in a display frequency podcast)

The issue, for me at least, is as I set out above. Woe betide you try and photography a Typhoon display from "unofficial viewing areas" at an Airshow, but toodle along to CBY or Scampton on a nice March morning and snap away at un-certified practice displays, and stick those on social media and the official team accounts or whomever, are perfectly happy to give them maximum publicity (and, it could be argued, encourage more lay public to go and watch).

For me, gender is irrelevant. And it's not just the Coningsby brigade. The men who do it outnumber the women, and all are equally bad. it's about self-control and self-respect. You don't have to share every photograph from every event. You discriminate, pick your best, sharpest, most interesting. And you certainly don't spam the pilot/team's timeline by tagging them in every single thing you post as it comes across as desperate, needy and obsessive.

The RAF need to stop encouraging them by retweeting too, images of such low quality do the RAF no favours at all.
Dan O'Hagan

Postby starbuck on Mon 26 Jun 2017, 8:08 am

I seem to be able to get by without using facebook or twitter so I'm wondering how the most sycophantic nation of all handle this issue. Does anyone follow the Thunderbirds or Blue Angels and are they just as bad?
starbuck

Postby Alanko on Mon 26 Jun 2017, 8:50 am

Twitter sycophancy is the same as forum sycophancy. Airliners.net publish a leaderboard of their 'photo screeners', who presumably sift incoming photos of civil aviation (yawn) using stringent, anally-retentive criteria. The highest scorer on the leaderboard has screened 13,000 photos! I wonder if he has any sycophants. Twitter is such a broad church that it is hard to really categorise users neatly into camps. There will be the nakedly opportunistic, the genuine sycophants and airheads. At the same time there are genuinely nice people on there. Either way you have the option to hide their feed and get on with your life, or start bitching about them on an obsolete discussion forum. :whistle: When any of you choose to upload your photos onto this forum are you a) doing it to educate and document a day spent loitering at the perimeter fence or b) doing it because you want praise from your peer group?
Alanko

Postby Seahornet on Tue 27 Jun 2017, 9:37 am

Off topic, one of my all-time favourite film quotes:

Cruella de Ville (Glenn Close), to an obsequious toady: "What kind of a sycophant are you??!!"

Obsequious Toady: "Er, what kind of a sycophant would you like me to be...??"

:lol:
And as the smart ship grew,
In stature, grace and hue,
In shadowy silent distance grew the iceberg too....
Seahornet

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Tue 27 Jun 2017, 9:46 am

Seahornet wrote:Off topic, one of my all-time favourite film quotes:

Cruella de Ville (Glenn Close), to an obsequious toady: "What kind of a sycophant are you??!!"

Obsequious Toady: "Er, what kind of a sycophant would you like me to be...??"

:lol:

So much of this goes on in our hobby...
Dan O'Hagan

Postby disgruntled on Tue 27 Jun 2017, 10:17 am

Oh the irony
disgruntled

Postby AnglianRed on Tue 27 Jun 2017, 12:24 pm

Why not try asking the teams/pilots why they RT stuff they're tagged in, and indeed whether they like people to tag them in things, rather than creating your own little "ideal world" agenda around it all? The various display teams can mostly be found on the ground at various airshows so you could actually approach them in real life, and get a face to face response? In a lot of cases from what I've seen the teams concerned follow the very individuals that you're all cheerfully running down - and I wouldn't imagine they would do that if they were as "driven mad" by it all as you lot seem to want to convince yourselves, but I'm sure they could clarify this for you if you simply asked. Harvo266 has already given some input into this, and good for him for having the nerve to speak up against a lynch-mob.

LN Strike Eagle - for you not to have had a thank you for a photo you'd been asked for was rude - no question. I wouldn't begin to argue that. However it sounds as though this was a one-off, and generally speaking people have been grateful? Or was this perhaps the only occasion you've been asked - in which case I can see why it could have potentially tarnished your opinion of an entire group.

Someone else on the thread rightly points out that there is the ability to turn off re-tweets on twitter - this is easily done and may help to save some of you a blood-pressure induced middle aged hemorrhage. I use Twitter but follow a relatively select group on the aviation front - the stuff they post is generally good quality and tags are used for the right reasons (ie when a team or an individual has made it known that they enjoy seeing the pictures) so perhaps another way forwards would be for some of you to consider thinning out your timelines a little? On instagram I follow even fewer, and also adhere to the policy of "just because it's posted I don't have to "like" it". As a result this means that most of what I see is good quality and I can enjoy what I see - if sometimes with a wistful longing to be able to produce those sorts of results myself. Thankfully for me that doesn't extend into sourness and jealousy though - clearly this is not the case for all.

Overall - and as an outsider who reads on here but doesn't post (until now) there seems to be an extraordinary level of bitterness showing on this thread. It's quite sad really that so many people get riled about something like this rather than just acknowledging that others are getting recognition for something, and moving on.
AnglianRed

Postby n0143773 on Tue 27 Jun 2017, 12:30 pm

AnglianRed wrote:Why not try asking the teams/pilots why they RT stuff they're tagged in, and indeed whether they like people to tag them in things, rather than creating your own little "ideal world" agenda around it all? The various display teams can mostly be found on the ground at various airshows so you could actually approach them in real life, and get a face to face response? In a lot of cases from what I've seen the teams concerned follow the very individuals that you're all cheerfully running down - and I wouldn't imagine they would do that if they were as "driven mad" by it all as you lot seem to want to convince yourselves, but I'm sure they could clarify this for you if you simply asked. Harvo266 has already given some input into this, and good for him for having the nerve to speak up against a lynch-mob.

LN Strike Eagle - for you not to have had a thank you for a photo you'd been asked for was rude - no question. I wouldn't begin to argue that. However it sounds as though this was a one-off, and generally speaking people have been grateful? Or was this perhaps the only occasion you've been asked - in which case I can see why it could have potentially tarnished your opinion of an entire group.

Someone else on the thread rightly points out that there is the ability to turn off re-tweets on twitter - this is easily done and may help to save some of you a blood-pressure induced middle aged hemorrhage. I use Twitter but follow a relatively select group on the aviation front - the stuff they post is generally good quality and tags are used for the right reasons (ie when a team or an individual has made it known that they enjoy seeing the pictures) so perhaps another way forwards would be for some of you to consider thinning out your timelines a little? On instagram I follow even fewer, and also adhere to the policy of "just because it's posted I don't have to "like" it". As a result this means that most of what I see is good quality and I can enjoy what I see - if sometimes with a wistful longing to be able to produce those sorts of results myself. Thankfully for me that doesn't extend into sourness and jealousy though - clearly this is not the case for all.

Overall - and as an outsider who reads on here but doesn't post (until now) there seems to be an extraordinary level of bitterness showing on this thread. It's quite sad really that so many people get riled about something like this rather than just acknowledging that others are getting recognition for something, and moving on.

Wow - riled about people getting riled. It's like inception.
n0143773

PreviousNext

Return to Aviation Waffle