Twitter sycophancy

Re: Twitter sycophancy

Postby skidd40 on Mon 03 Jul 2017, 11:02 am

It's harmless really .... isn't it . The ones worthy of a chuckle for me, are the energizer bunnies that post the syncro crossover (and the like) pictures like they are first person to ever catch it ....they raise a smile
skidd40

Postby sopwithflyer on Mon 03 Jul 2017, 11:20 am

Too many sides to this.

I run a twitter page. We get members of the public tweeting images and its great. The most important thing is people appreciate meeting you/seeing you and that's what it's all about (for me). We are always contacted by talented photographers wanting to sell pictures. They are good pictures - no doubt about that, but we just don't want them. You get those as described in this thread bombarding you with images and then the serious photographers who think their photo is far more relevant/different/amazing to you, than any photo has ever been before. Personally I don't care what is tweeted as long as: a, people have a good time, and b, I'm not asked to buy them. I guess it depends on your perspective.
sopwithflyer

Postby Vodka on Mon 03 Jul 2017, 11:35 am

Judging from experience, ' social media' isn't very social!

Perhaps such 'Twitter Twatters' have stolen thunder from the 'groupies' here over the past years?

The enlightening thing of all social media is being able to trawl (and not very long) through peeps posts just to see the calibre of person they are or often pretend to be!

Camera snobery, let alone actual photography, resentment of access, Ten commandments of a naughty field, expose' of the Walter (McCullin) Mitty brigade.

Its nothing new, just more prevailant as misguided belief of self importance.

Frankly , cant give a hoot about who's 'funwanger' is bigger than anothers ...Hun' ! Just that some peeps have so little in their actual life of living they have to fill it with diatribe of dissagrement - hate , envious to becoming a green eyed keyboard shouty' monster.

I wonder, have such people have removed all mirrors from their houses? :ninja:
Vodka

Postby Rebecca_1984 on Mon 03 Jul 2017, 5:04 pm

Not just aviation and not just twitter, you should see how worked up a couple of self appointed "big name" railway photographers on instagram get if one of their photos does not attract a load of likes and gushing praise from anyone and everyone.
Rebecca_1984

Postby JJC on Wed 05 Jul 2017, 12:16 pm

They're out in force today...3 more accounts muted. :sleepy:
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''
JJC

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Wed 05 Jul 2017, 12:24 pm

JJC wrote:They're out in force today...3 more accounts muted. :sleepy:

You'd think the Lancaster, which lives at Coningsby, and has done for over 30 years, had never been seen near Coningsby before...
Dan O'Hagan

Postby Gregg on Mon 10 Jul 2017, 3:01 pm

Can we start a sweepstake on which of you stress heads snuffs it from heart failure first?

Rather than get so wound up just unfollow, mute or block. Better still, deactivate Twitter etc and go for a walk :)
Gregg

Postby toom317 on Mon 10 Jul 2017, 3:13 pm

Gregg wrote:Can we start a sweepstake on which of you stress heads snuffs it from heart failure first?

Rather than get so wound up just unfollow, mute or block. Better still, deactivate Twitter etc and go for a walk :)

We're grumpy old men. It's what we do. :biggrin:
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.
toom317
UKAR Supporter

Postby st24 on Sat 24 Feb 2018, 1:25 pm

Rumbled...... :ninja:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!
st24

Postby Tommy on Sat 24 Feb 2018, 3:49 pm

Heh, indeed. Must've been bubbling for a while for a 7 month old thread to be dug up from 5 or six pages back to get all hurt about it.

Looking at some of the replies, I don't wanna toot my own horn, but I sort of called it:

Tommy wrote:...There's an army of anonymous happy-clappers ready to jump to their defence, stalk your personal profiles, dig up something (which they have no idea how personal it may be) and try and use it as a stick to beat you with, or just do the asinine "ignore them, they're obviously jealous" type of comment.

Fom a couple of comments (depressing reading all of them), seems that both Andy and I have had our personal profiles been stalked. Lovely.

And, I'll hasten to add, this thread has managed to discuss those people without having to use profanity once. Not the same for said unchecked and unmoderated happy-clappers on Twitter.

Also, the point's missed re. crap images - we're all crap to start with. I still am. But positive criticism isn't "great shots!" That's just either a platitude, or a lie that draws a smile. The point is, if anyone tries to say "these are grainy, maybe try X, Y, or Z", it's jumped on by said individuals who are extremely happy to call users of forums "keyboard warriors", not realising that they themselves are exactly the same. On a keyboard, ranting about some usernames they don't know, on their phones/computers. Not really a compelling point, that.

Because, the alternative point if people *don't* want constructive comments, is that they clearly don't have any intention of improving. If that's the case it's astonishing to see people take pride in being bad or mediocre at things. By all means, if people are rude in their criticism, fine, get annoyed by it, but if you don't always strive to improve, what's the point in doing anything?

It's nice to have "great shots" when you post stuff, but it's also nice to see people have taken the time to think about and offer advice, too. Balance needs to be achieved.

As I said, social media (on the whole) is positive, I really like it, but there's a lot of cringy stuff out there.
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby Harvo266 on Sat 24 Feb 2018, 11:03 pm

I’m not entirely sure why this thread has suddenly been dug out after months....?....maybe as you say, it’s been playing on certain people’s minds....? I don’t see why it has turned so two sided, I don’t think anyone on here was trying to upset or offend those on twitter, I certainly wasn’t. I think the point all of us are trying to put across is that criticism should not be considered such a malicious action. If I ever post photos on twitter to the reds, typhoon team etc, obviously it’s very heartwarming to get the ‘lovely photos’ etc but I can’t say I’ve ever had any major criticism, and to be perfectly honest, I would welcome it with open arms! I don’t know if I’m cropping any good, if my photoshop is too much, if my white balance is spot on...etc! It gripes with me because every time I go to edit a new set, I don’t know if the way I am doing it is pleasing to the eye, I’m stuck in my own bubble! If anyone wants to give me some crit, I’m all ears - @harvo266

H
Shuttleworth SP
Torbay
Cosford
Weston
Yeovilton
RIAT
FIA
Eastbourne - Weather :(
Bournemouth
Duxford

Nikon D500
Harvo266

Postby J Cox on Sun 25 Feb 2018, 12:28 am

st24 wrote:Rumbled...... :ninja:

I was very tempted to take the bait...
J Cox

Postby cg_341 on Sun 25 Feb 2018, 7:36 am

Oooh, who, where? I fancy an argument :lol:
cg_341

Postby Spiny Norman on Sun 25 Feb 2018, 9:35 am

cg_341 wrote:Oooh, who, where? I fancy an argument :lol:

No you don't.
I want to see a flying Mosquito in the UK. I'm supporting The People's Mosquito.
http://www.peoplesmosquito.org.uk/
Spiny Norman

Postby boff180 on Sun 25 Feb 2018, 3:20 pm

boff180 wrote:Coningsby is full of them, the crap togs are also being worshipped by others.

What is encouraging it is the RAF - the display Typhoon team/pilot retweet this rubbish with "awesome shots". Indeed there are two togs (who I shall not name) of the opposite sex who just have to breath on Twitter and the RAF worship their shots - when half the time they're awful.

The same people use these words to describe the Typhoon.... "spluff" and "carrot maker"

When it comes to photography, Twitter is the home of worshipping rubbish imagery!

boff180 wrote:Indeed, it just seems like Coningsby is the worst due to the RAF social media accounts positively encouraging it.

Without getting into a "naughty field" debate.... on PDA day the Coningsby social media accounts were literally begging people not to go anywhere other than the spotters car park (including saying not to go to the mound) for safety reasons.

An hour later they were retweeting one of the two female individuals photos - taken in the very spots they were asking people not to be - calling them amazing and awesome shots of the PDA. What sort of message does that portray of the RAF????

The above are the only two posts I made in this thread.

Over the past 24 hours it has come clear that my reference to the opposite gender has been taken completely out of context. It was not meant in any derogatory manner, mainly to identify some of the parties involved to others that had also been discussing the matter off the forums. It has however in the past 24 hours been interpreted as a sexist remark and that I am "bitter" or have a problem with female photographers or that I am jealous of their imagery. Nothing could be further from the truth - as anyone who knows me in real life will tell you. However.

I recognise that the gender comments could have been interpreted the way that they have and, that I should have realised that at the time, I fully acknowledge that the comments have caused offence and therefore - I apologise in full.

I have already posted on twitter this morning that my comments were wrong as wrong but as the individual that has taken offence has blocked me and, due to others that don't follow me not being able to see the post because I've set my twitter to private for reasons below - prompting further criticism/derogatory comments from some; I have now decided to do this on here, in public, which some may not agree with.

Over the past 24 hours I have been called multiple derogatory names on twitter by complete strangers for those two posts, stalked and personally verbally attacked. Others have also claimed that the two posts above were defamatory and were lies. Some of the comments made by others were defamatory themselves - highly in some cases.

I stand by the statement that the RAF last year with their twitter presence were hypocritical, particularly at Coningsby. I also stand by the statement that some superb photographers (which, I am not one) are being completely ignored in favour of others whose shots can be inconsistent - many times poor. I also stand by the statement that as a result, the general quality of imagery on - particularly twitter - has plummeted.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion on someone elses photography, I stand by that, if someone wants to think my photography is poor - that's your choice and I'd defend your ability and opportunity to have that opinion.

Yes the choice of some of my words was poor, contrary to the claims of some of those on twitter, I am man enough to admit my mistakes. Also, contrary to the claims of those on twitter, more than happy to have discussions face to face, I'm not a coward that hides behind a keyboard.

Let that be the end of it.

Andy
boff180
UKAR Staff

Postby CJS on Sun 25 Feb 2018, 8:36 pm

Yet more snowflake stupidity from people who just love "being offended" by whatever they can. It's getting beyond a joke when someone can't point out someone's gender without having to make a public apology. For what? For daring to point out that someone taking crap photos also happens to have a vagina?

Imagine if you'd said "a couple of chaps I know aren't very good at taking photos..." imagine the outcry!

Good on you Andy for publicly saying sorry, and if you feel the apology is needed then fair enough. But all this is getting ridiculous.

As a particularly eloquent 8 year old I taught a few years ago used to enjoy saying, 'it pisses I right off...'

Edit - come off it UKAR, why is the word v agina in your banned words list? Is penis too I wonder? (edit edit - it would seem not. Hmm...) Hardly offensive surely? Is arm banned too? Knee perhaps?
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?
CJS

Postby Gonzo230 on Sun 25 Feb 2018, 9:02 pm

Come on chaps.

This doesn’t make the forum look good.

As has been said, let that be an end to it.
Gonzo230

Postby CJS on Sun 25 Feb 2018, 9:20 pm

I was defending UKAR and certain of its staff members against the rise of so called 'offence' that people seem to be suffering from these days - not that I'm suggesting they can't defend themselves of course.

And my point about word censorship is perfectly valid and a separate issue anyway.
CJS

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Sun 25 Feb 2018, 9:30 pm

CJS wrote: And my point about word censorship is perfectly valid and a separate issue anyway.

Just something left over from the previous administrator when this board was set up 10 years ago - it's just gone unnoticed because we have other names for you. :grin:

Easily changed.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Postby CJS on Sun 25 Feb 2018, 9:38 pm

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
CJS wrote: And my point about word censorship is perfectly valid and a separate issue anyway.

Just something left over from the previous administrator when this board was set up 10 years ago - it's just gone unnoticed because we have other names for you. :grin:

Easily changed.

Bravo sir, bravo :grin: :clap:
CJS

Postby st24 on Sun 25 Feb 2018, 11:08 pm

CJS wrote:Yet more snowflake stupidity from people who just love "being offended" by whatever they can. It's getting beyond a joke when someone can't point out someone's gender without having to make a public apology. For what? For daring to point out that someone taking crap photos also happens to have a vagina?

Imagine if you'd said "a couple of chaps I know aren't very good at taking photos..." imagine the outcry!

Good on you Andy for publicly saying sorry, and if you feel the apology is needed then fair enough. But all this is getting ridiculous.

As a particularly eloquent 8 year old I taught a few years ago used to enjoy saying, 'it pisses I right off...'

Edit - come off it UKAR, why is the word v agina in your banned words list? Is penis too I wonder? (edit edit - it would seem not. Hmm...) Hardly offensive surely? Is arm banned too? Knee perhaps?

It is school tomorrow isn't it? - a bit late to be hitting the shandies isn't it?..... :snack:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!
st24

Postby CJS on Mon 26 Feb 2018, 6:25 am

Hic...
CJS

Postby zigzag on Mon 26 Feb 2018, 8:59 am

Interesting this, especially in light of some other posts over the winter surrounding how to improve UKAR and the quality of photo posts in particular. Its issues like this which mean that places like this forum are dying, twitter too to a certain extent (with many moving to blocked or private postings), people cannot say anything other than 'good shots' without the fear of being criticised by the OP or various snowflakes who take offence at anything.

Some of us like to learn what is good or bad about our photography and take any advice offered with a constructive view to see how it can be used to improve our photography or processing, but the vast majority seem to take offence at anything which isnt a 'good shots' comment. As has been siad in posts above in some cases the 'good shots' comments are either platitudes or untrue as the shots certainly arent good, when see people see that average shots get rave reviews the result is a thought that the posters on the board dont really appreciate what is good or bad, and therefore if the audience isnt discerning its not worth posting, the result there are fewer posters, fewer poster equals fewer viewers and the downward spiral is well underway (I tend to process and post up over winter, I have done that over the past few months, but if the board continues its downward sprial then when I come to posting this years shots next winter I doubt I will do so).

The result is that forums like UKAR are dying. What is happening is that groups of friends are talking amongst themselves, where they have similar mindset and opinions, this is extending to debate about shows, heads up information, discussion of locations etc, this can be seen in the volume and quality of posts on UKAR, its way past its peak of around 10 years ago. In effect because of the oversensitivity of some and the sycophancy of others we are moving back to a more private communication between smaller groups just like the pre-internet days.
If you like these pics there are more utterly brilliant shots at https://www.flickr.com/photos/131094099@N08/albums
#MOT
zigzag

Postby harkins on Mon 26 Feb 2018, 9:43 am

I don’t do Twitter, but I think I know enough to understand the issues here, yet I’m not really sure why Twitter is seemingly so important in this field. To me, keen aviation enthusiasts/photographers posting to Twitter is like a good article of the type we might read in Airforces Monthly being printed in the Daily Star. Perhaps I just don’t get it.

But as for this site being in decline, I’m absolutely certain that it owes an awful lot more to the fact that we are down to about 3 military airshows a year and have even lost a few seaside and smaller shows on top. When you add in all the restrictions around naughty fields and arrivals and the fact that we are continuing to lose types that fly displays, and that everything is grey now, there’s simply not enough events, types, locations (angles) to view and photograph from to generate an awful lot of discussion.

Unless I’m mistaken (and I often am) the Twitter issues seem to largely revolve around RAF Coningsby and their Typhoon display practices. I imagine anybody would be hard-pressed to take a truly interesting photo of that. Beyond getting it in focus and well framed, what else can you really do with it? And if you’ve got 50 people all pointing a Canon 7D and a 100-400mm lens at it (which is what I’ve got), the chances are that there will be an awful lot of very similar photos out there.

The other day I got a notification that someone had favourited a photo of mine on Flickr. I excitedly clicked the profile to see which revered aviation photographer was so taken with my grainy scan of a 25 year old photo of a P-3C at the darkest wettest RAF St Mawgan International Airday ever – and it turned out to be a lady in her underwear who wasn’t really interested in my photos.
harkins

Postby jalfrezi on Mon 26 Feb 2018, 11:20 am

harkins wrote:I don’t do Twitter, but I think I know enough to understand the issues here, yet I’m not really sure why Twitter is seemingly so important in this field. To me, keen aviation enthusiasts/photographers posting to Twitter is like a good article of the type we might read in Airforces Monthly being printed in the Daily Star. Perhaps I just don’t get it.

Whilst I have a Twitter account, I never use it. I think Twitter has it's place, but to me it's very much an instant gratification platform - you post a pic or comment and wait for the likes and retweets to come in.

But as for this site being in decline, I’m absolutely certain that it owes an awful lot more to the fact that we are down to about 3 military airshows a year and have even lost a few seaside and smaller shows on top. When you add in all the restrictions around naughty fields and arrivals and the fact that we are continuing to lose types that fly displays, and that everything is grey now, there’s simply not enough events, types, locations (angles) to view and photograph from to generate an awful lot of discussion.

I think you've probably hit the nail on the head there. Though the decline of UKAR is probably down to a number of things, like you said - the decline in UK airshows, also the rise of instant social media platforms, and maybe the younger generation avoiding 'old school' forums. I'd certainly be interested to see the age demographic for UKAR - are there many new young members still signing up?

Unless I’m mistaken (and I often am) the Twitter issues seem to largely revolve around RAF Coningsby and their Typhoon display practices. I imagine anybody would be hard-pressed to take a truly interesting photo of that. Beyond getting it in focus and well framed, what else can you really do with it? And if you’ve got 50 people all pointing a Canon 7D and a 100-400mm lens at it (which is what I’ve got), the chances are that there will be an awful lot of very similar photos out there.

I must admit, I've never quite understood why some people repeatedly stand at the end of a runway, just to take the same shots over and over again?

The other day I got a notification that someone had favourited a photo of mine on Flickr. I excitedly clicked the profile to see which revered aviation photographer was so taken with my grainy scan of a 25 year old photo of a P-3C at the darkest wettest RAF St Mawgan International Airday ever – and it turned out to be a lady in her underwear who wasn’t really interested in my photos.

Had a few of those myself, certainly not complaining about it! :lol:
jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Previous

Return to Aviation Waffle