Ian Harris https://www.flickr.com/photos/ian_harrisuk/

Nikon D750
Nikon D500
Nikon 500mm pf
Nikon 300mm pf

spaceward

Re: Drone causes disruption at Gatwick airport

Post by spaceward »

How much longer before we read "accident " instead of "incident" ? For Christ sake someone ban these children's toys and bang up the immature morons who think this is funny !

Rebecca_1984

Post by Rebecca_1984 »

I was shocked to see a stall at Cosford Airshow selling them to be honest, I mean it would only take one clown to start flying one during a display and we can all see the potential for something to go horribly wrong.

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

Its bit late to ban them now. Pretty much anyone who wants one has already bought one and as far as I'm aware no central record has been kept of who owns them.

Now we can argue that maybe they should have been designated as an aircraft and requiring the user to hold some sort of licence with any transfer of ownership recorded much like a gun. But the Government dropped the ball and did nothing and now there are tens of thousands of these devices with no one knowing who owned or is operating it.

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

I was in my local park yesterday, it's in Cheadle, Stockport and anyone who knows the area will tell you it's under the flight path to Manchester Airport. While watching a BA plane coming into land we noticed a drone being flown what I would say on the flight path but lower than the aircraft.
These morons really don't have any sense at all and I hope they get found, and given a swift prison sentence to follow.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

I hope they get found

I doubt they will be. The drones are cheap enough that if the Police did respond they could just abandon and do a runner.

and given a swift prison sentence to follow

Seems unlikely given the current pressure on the availability of places in prisons. Judges are under pressure to only imprison people if all other options have been exhausted.

Alanko

Post by Alanko »

spaceward wrote:For Christ sake someone ban these children's toys and bang up the immature morons who think this is funny !

That seems a tad extreme, and deeply unfair on the people I know who operate a commercial UAV business, plus anybody else who uses UAVs for land or asset management, LiDAR capture etc. Perhaps the issue is with how readily available they are, or the fact that they can be operated without any sort of accreditation or qualification requirement. I shouldn't probably be able to buy a drone as easily as I can a microwave; simply by setting foot in Currys PC World and spending money.

Geo-fencing is a possible solution, but some alt-right/libertarian/4-Chan type will have figured out how to disable any such "restrictions" within a day.

Alanko

Post by Alanko »

Alanko wrote:Geo-fencing is a possible solution, but some alt-right/libertarian/4-Chan type will have figured out how to disable any such "restrictions" within a day.

I called it: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/07/11/dji_drones_app_sec/

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40684581

Given that I'm not aware of any database of owners/ purchasers being created at the point of sale for drones I can only assume this will effectively only apply to new purchases as no one will have a clue which chavs off council estates already own a drone but I'm guessing something is better than nothing.

We shall see just how ineffective the initiative is in the fullness of time...

helired3

Post by helired3 »

Ian Harris https://www.flickr.com/photos/ian_harrisuk/

Nikon D750
Nikon D500
Nikon 500mm pf
Nikon 300mm pf

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

The under £100 ones are everywhere, every market carboot, toy stores and ebay is a flood with them.
I own and fly a couple of the high end DJI models. China have imported millions of the things,

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Alanko wrote:
Alanko wrote:Geo-fencing is a possible solution, but some alt-right/libertarian/4-Chan type will have figured out how to disable any such "restrictions" within a day.

Nothing new, people have been bypassing such systems ever since they were first introduced.
It's even been discussed several months ago on other forums.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

vulcan558 wrote:The under £100 ones are everywhere, every market carboot, toy stores and ebay is a flood with them.
I own and fly a couple of the high end DJI models. China have imported millions of the things,

Why would China want to import millions of them?

john001

Post by john001 »

speedbird2639 wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40684581

Given that I'm not aware of any database of owners/ purchasers being created at the point of sale for drones I can only assume this will effectively only apply to new purchases as no one will have a clue which chavs off council estates already own a drone but I'm guessing something is better than nothing.

We shall see just how ineffective the initiative is in the fullness of time...

It would allow the CAA to target safety information to drone owners near to airports which is a good start. Although I agree it is far too late in coming it is better than nothing.

TKK 140

Post by TKK 140 »

Brevet Cable wrote:
Alanko wrote:

Nothing new, people have been bypassing such systems ever since they were first introduced.
It's even been discussed several months ago on other forums.

Yes here for instance:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=74410&p=745422&hilit=Drone#p745422

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

Big Eric wrote:
vulcan558 wrote:The under £100 ones are everywhere, every market carboot, toy stores and ebay is a flood with them.

Why not, they make most of them, the market is booming so why would they not be selling millions of them over here and world wide.

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

vulcan558 wrote:
Big Eric wrote:

Why not, they make most of them, the market is booming so why would they not be selling millions of them over here and world wide.

In that case I think you mean "export" ! :wall:

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

Big Eric wrote:
vulcan558 wrote:
Big Eric wrote:

Carlsberg, mate.

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

vulcan558 wrote:
Big Eric wrote:
vulcan558 wrote:
Big Eric wrote:

Carlsberg, mate.

Good call, mine's a pint Rich. :grin: