Hawker Hunters cleared to fly!

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
jasonT1981

Hawker Hunters cleared to fly!

Post by jasonT1981 »

Great news today. :D

Hawker Hunter aircraft, which have been grounded since the Shoreham Airshow Crash have had the directive lifted by the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) meaning the Hunters are cleared to fly again

A spokesperson for the CAA said: “The CAA has today withdrawn the safety directive which grounded all Hawker Hunter aircraft on the UK register. This safety directive was introduced in the immediate aftermath of the tragic Shoreham airshow accident as a precautionary and unprecedented measure.

https://www.aviationwales.com/hunters-c ... trictions/

Pringles

Re: Hawker Hunters cleared to fly!

Post by Pringles »

Fantastic news! Long overdue, but I'm glad they've finally come round :yahoo:
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

I presume this just means those on the civil registry as I seem to remember seeing them at RIAT last year?

Still not allowed to display though according to that link.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Guess HAS are going to get a bit busier, then :biggrin:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

starbuck wrote:I presume this just means those on the civil registry as I seem to remember seeing them at RIAT last year?

Still not allowed to display though according to that link.

Seems to apply to displays over land. Sea side shows should be alright. Would be the same restrictions that the Gnats and JP/Strikemaster etc have already at shows I believe. Displays over land are "restricted to flypasts and associated manoeuvres only"

Kip Casper

Post by Kip Casper »

http://www.gcse.com/english/there.htm - learn how to use 'their', 'there' and 'they're'.

Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

Excellent news! although having thought about it breifly are there any airworthy civil hunters left in the UK which arent up for sale apart from XL573 and WV318?

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Jumbo wrote:Excellent news! although having thought about it breifly are there any airworthy civil hunters left in the UK which arent up for sale apart from XL573 and WV318?

Hawker Hunter T.8B WV322 (G-BZSE) got as far as engine ground runs, so that could be flying soon. Part of the Anglia Aircraft Restorations fleet.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Chris G

Post by Chris G »

There was an absolutely gorgeous looking blue one at North Weald for a time, would love to see that displayed.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Chris G wrote:There was an absolutely gorgeous looking blue one at North Weald for a time, would love to see that displayed.

It's the one I mentioned in the post above yours.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

What about the GA.11 in Royal Navy colours?

Is that one still around?

Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

The GA 11 was sold to HHA and is supposedly being kept in airworthy condition awaiting a contract, although there are also rumours it is a spares ship. Also XE601 (the raspberry ripple hunter) was sold to Apache aviation in France and is being used for spares so apparently will never fly again.

wv383

Post by wv383 »

Jumbo wrote:Excellent news! although having thought about it breifly are there any airworthy civil hunters left in the UK which arent up for sale apart from XL573 and WV318?

WV318 is not in the UK now. It's currently grounded in Sweden. I have no idea whether it will return to the UK now that the ban has been lifted.
Simon

Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

I think the article in Aeroplane magazine recently says it was visiting sweden when the ban was put in place so got stuck but will return once the ban is lifted.

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

Jumbo wrote:The GA 11 was sold to HHA and is supposedly being kept in airworthy condition awaiting a contract, although there are also rumours it is a spares ship. Also XE601 (the raspberry ripple hunter) was sold to Apache aviation in France and is being used for spares so apparently will never fly again.

Apologies, just checked on G-info and it was the rather smart PR.11 I was thinking about.

http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplic ... taindex=14

Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

I think the PR11 is still at St Athan but is currently up for sale for £35,000. I hope the owner will change their mind now that hunters can fly again.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

PSST ( 'Miss Demeanour' ) & BVGV used to be there as well, don't know if they still are.
I know 'Miss Demeanour' was also up for sale, don't know if it was sold or not.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

MicrolightDriver

Post by MicrolightDriver »

Brevet Cable wrote:...I know 'Miss Demeanour' was also up for sale, don't know if it was sold or not.

I don't recall ever hearing about any sale going through. G-INFO would indicate it's still registered in the UK and has been with the same owner for the last decade or so..

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Excellent, and overdue, news. If WV322 could start performing, that'd be a top start. :love:

Hopefully a small glimmer of good things to come insofar as classic jets are concerned. Hunters have been much-missed.

Probably stupid question, but we're nearly 24 months sans Hunters flying (but for HHA, AFAIK) - how would pilots keep/re-acquire their currency?

ted633

Post by ted633 »

G-PSST still currently for sale according to this. £250,000 plus £25,000 for annual inspection

https://www.historicandclassicaircraftsales.com/hawker-hunter-miss-demeanour

Mike

Post by Mike »

The grounding also affected the two Dutch Hunters (which had remained on the UK register) so presumably they will now be returned to the air now too.

play it cool

Post by play it cool »

Brevet Cable wrote:PSST ( 'Miss Demeanour' ) & BVGV used to be there as well, don't know if they still are.
I know 'Miss Demeanour' was also up for sale, don't know if it was sold or not.

I believe they are still there.

st24

Post by st24 »

Mike wrote:The grounding also affected the two Dutch Hunters (which had remained on the UK register) so presumably they will now be returned to the air now too.

Already happening! The 2 are going to St Athan for inspections etc in readiness for display flying next year according to Twitter... :up:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Cole

Post by Cole »

Fantastic! :yahoo: :rock: :clap:
Canon 800D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um..

centaurus18

Post by centaurus18 »

In an ideal world, that PR.11 would make an ideal addition to the Naval Aviation Ltd stable down at Yeovilton, or indeed the Anglia Aircraft fleet with WV322.
She is now the ONLY ex-Navy single seat Hunter currently capable of flying in the world - G-GAII I don't think has flown since 2012/3?

XE601 mentioned earlier in the thread is indeed in Canada, but it will fly again as a contract airframe though with blanked off gunports.
Therefore, it may never sing the blue note again.
Mark
'We’re in the stickiest situation, since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.'