Civvy Spitfires

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
CJS

Civvy Spitfires

Post by CJS »

I've just been given a rather cool book - 'Spitfire' by Jeremy Flack - by one of the kids in my class. It's from 1994 so there are some long forgotten gems in there, but one which features heavily is a red painted Mk XIVe, serial NH904, which was registered G-FIRE by the looks of things.

Not sure I like the look of it to be honest, but just wondering if anyone knew what became of it and also whether the UK has ever had many civvy painted Spitfires? As far as I know there are none in the UK at the moment, but there are some flying in the US in civilian schemes aren't there?

Other gems in the book - a replica of the prototype Spitfire that apparently flew from Hullavington in 1991 and MH434 which was painted in Beligian colours.

It's a pretty cool present :-)
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

qwerty

Re: Civvy Spitfires

Post by qwerty »

http://www.warbirdregistry.org/spitregi ... nh904.html
and civy Spits on Barry Wallonds pages of superb art examples...http://www.wallond.com/Postcard.html

Alanko

Post by Alanko »

G-FIRE is NH904, as you suggest, and now resides as part of the Bob Pond collection, apparently at the Palm Springs air museum. The red finish is apparently still extant under a rather gaudy stab at a camouflage scheme (imagine you got a guy more versed in airbrushing women onto the cabs of lorries to cook up a generic Spit scheme and you are pretty much there).

CJS

Post by CJS »

Cheers guys :-)

Buff 1

Post by Buff 1 »

Spitfire G-FIRE was part of Spencer Flacks collection which also included Hunters G-HUNT and G-BOOM plus Sea Fury G-FURY all painted in red with a white and blue cheat line, I remember seeing them all at Biggin Hill and Stapleford in the 80s.

Mike

Post by Mike »

There are none flying in the US in civilian schemes.

The former G-FIRE is indeed at the Palm Springs museum, but hasn't flown since about 2000.

st24

Post by st24 »

There have been a few, G-AIDN is 2 seat (now in generic camo as MT818) that flew in overall yellow and Blue schemes, MH434 flew in a pale blue and white civvy scheme in the '60s as did (iirc) the BBMF AB910.
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Alanko

Post by Alanko »

Spitfire F.XIV RM689 flew as G-ALGT on the civvy register with a nice blue and white scheme, but was repainted/rebuilt for the BoB film. This was the Spitfire that crashed at Woodford in 1992, and there was talk of restoration at one point.

G-ASSV

Post by G-ASSV »

There were a few about in civilian schemes during the 1950s and 1960s, my particular favourite being G-ALGT when it was painted in Rolls-Royce house colours of two tone blue and white. Their Meteor NF.14 G-ASLW also looked good in their civilian scheme.

Others include G-AHZI, that didn't last too long in civilian hands. G-AISU and G-ASJV which both looked quite smart too. All of which seemed to be based at Elstree at some time or other.

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

CJS wrote:I've just been given a rather cool book - 'Spitfire' by Jeremy Flack - by one of the kids in my class. It's from 1994 so there are some long forgotten gems in there, but one which features heavily is a red painted Mk XIVe, serial NH904, which was registered G-FIRE by the looks of things.

Not sure I like the look of it to be honest, but just wondering if anyone knew what became of it and also whether the UK has ever had many civvy painted Spitfires? As far as I know there are none in the UK at the moment, but there are some flying in the US in civilian schemes aren't there?

Other gems in the book - a replica of the prototype Spitfire that apparently flew from Hullavington in 1991 and MH434 which was painted in Beligian colours.

It's a pretty cool present :-)

Does the book mention the flashing red lights in the cannon fairings on G-FIRE for strafing runs?

John

CJS

Post by CJS »

It does indeed :-o

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

Personally I loved G-FIRE, plus the Sea Fury and Hunter in the same scheme. As long as it is something tasteful, like Spencer's scheme, and not a Red Bull Sea Vixen I have no problem. After all the owner has paid lots of money for their aircraft so they can paint it what ever they like. Until the 70's most warbirds were in civil schemes. After-all in the 50's the USAF was still operating P-51's, and the RAF Spitfires so the many in private hands had to be in civil colors.

Alanko

Post by Alanko »

farnboroughrob wrote:...and not a Red Bull Sea Vixen I have no problem....

The Sea Vixen wasn't painted like that because the pilot loved Red Bull. :whistle:

The Red Bull Sea Vixen scheme reminds me of when Porterbrook painted one of the last remaining Deltics in a purple scheme. It wasn't for ever, and is something of a talking point:

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

Was it not the colors of the late Jeremy Flacks Hire company, Speedy Hire.?

melvyn hiscock

Post by melvyn hiscock »

You don't live near Fareham do you? I put one of those into a charity shop in Stubbington about two weeks ago!

Mike

Post by Mike »

vulcan558 wrote:Was it not the colors of the late Jeremy Flacks Hire company, Speedy Hire.?

I have no clue what this is supposed to mean.

Jeremy Flack is a photographer, is not 'late' and AFAIK has never had any connection to Speedy Hire.

st24

Post by st24 »

You've got your Flacks mixed up Rich! Spencer is indeed late, killed in a classic car racing accident in 2002.. But again, I know of connection with Speedy Hire?? :dunno:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

st24 wrote:You've got your Flacks mixed up Rich! Spencer is indeed late, killed in a classic car racing accident in 2002.. But again, I know of connection with Speedy Hire?? :dunno:

Cheers for the name mix up, been a while since I last seen the red Spit and Hunter etc.
Just thought that the reason for painting all his aircraft Red was company colors, for some reason a hire company came to mind for some reason. Metal merchants!

Alanko

Post by Alanko »

melvyn hiscock wrote:You don't live near Fareham do you? I put one of those into a charity shop in Stubbington about two weeks ago!

The book or a civvy Spitfire?

CJS

Post by CJS »

Alanko wrote:
melvyn hiscock wrote:You don't live near Fareham do you? I put one of those into a charity shop in Stubbington about two weeks ago!

:-) nope, Bristol area.

melvyn hiscock

Post by melvyn hiscock »

Alanko wrote:

Civvy Spitfires? ten a penny

melvyn hiscock

Post by melvyn hiscock »

CJS wrote:
:-) nope, Bristol area.

Ah, not mine then

SO many aviation books gone over the last few months