RAF100

Switch to full style
Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Post a reply

Re: RAF100

Thu 25 Jan 2018, 10:06 am

hunterxf382 wrote:I have to agree with the inaccuracies on this interactive map, and more worrying - there is no obvious contact method to pont out errors found either - which means the valuabe resource nature of this interactive map goes un-checked.

Why would you want "to pont out errors" ? :whistle:

Re: RAF100

Thu 25 Jan 2018, 11:32 am

:shock: I must be using the same keyboard as the webmaster behind that site lol

I have now edited and slapped my keyboard as a resullt :biggrin:

Re: RAF100

Thu 01 Feb 2018, 4:20 pm

Anyone heard if there will be any marking of the day on April 1st, 100 years to the day that the RAF was formed? Didn't know if there were any events planned for the actual 'birthday' as it were. :dunno:

expects jokes about the date obviously...

Re: RAF100

Thu 01 Feb 2018, 5:08 pm

Trenchard's ghost is probably looking down, thinking "A hundred years on and they still haven't realised.....best April Fools joke ever!"

:whistle:

:biggrin:

Re: RAF100

Thu 01 Feb 2018, 10:17 pm

CJS wrote:Anyone heard if there will be any marking of the day on April 1st, 100 years to the day that the RAF was formed? Didn't know if there were any events planned for the actual 'birthday' as it were. :dunno:

expects jokes about the date obviously...


Easter though... that's always been an issue with RAF 100...

Re: RAF100

Fri 02 Feb 2018, 9:51 am

hunterxf382 wrote::shock: I must be using the same keyboard as the webmaster behind that site lol

I have now edited and slapped my keyboard as a resullt :biggrin:


Be careful you don't want to break it, far too valuabe! :whistle:

Re: RAF100

Fri 02 Feb 2018, 9:38 pm

I've mentioned it on the Scottish International Air Show Thread but is the S.I.A.S. at Ayr Low Green not part of the RAF100 Celebrations?, don't see it on the Website List but it does appear to be on the same days as Bournemouth and Port Rush, has the Scottish been overlooked?

Re: RAF100

Thu 08 Feb 2018, 8:21 am

Had not seen this anywhere on this site but a snip from an Ian Allan Tours message:

Also attracting bookings is the “100th Anniversary of the RAF” in June/July. We have now added a second day at RIAT and an optional visit on 10 July to RAF Coningsby to see the mass launch and recover of the 27 Typhoon and Tornado aircraft taking part in the Flypast over central London.

Re: RAF100

Thu 08 Feb 2018, 9:26 am

Berf wrote:Had not seen this anywhere on this site but a snip from an Ian Allan Tours message:

Also attracting bookings is the “100th Anniversary of the RAF” in June/July. We have now added a second day at RIAT and an optional visit on 10 July to RAF Coningsby to see the mass launch and recover of the 27 Typhoon and Tornado aircraft taking part in the Flypast over central London.


I wonder if that's 27 Typhoon and a Tornado.

Could be a busy day on the mound.

Re: RAF100

Fri 09 Feb 2018, 12:26 pm

I wonder if this is the rehersal? I thought the London flypast was the Friday with the formation routing via Fairford on its way back?

Re: RAF100

Fri 09 Feb 2018, 12:31 pm

Craig wrote:I wonder if this is the rehersal? I thought the London flypast was the Friday with the formation routing via Fairford on its way back?


July the 10th is the focal day with a parade and full flypast in that there London.

Re: RAF100

Fri 09 Feb 2018, 12:36 pm

harkins wrote:
Berf wrote:Had not seen this anywhere on this site but a snip from an Ian Allan Tours message:

Also attracting bookings is the “100th Anniversary of the RAF” in June/July. We have now added a second day at RIAT and an optional visit on 10 July to RAF Coningsby to see the mass launch and recover of the 27 Typhoon and Tornado aircraft taking part in the Flypast over central London.


I wonder if that's 27 Typhoon and a Tornado.

Could be a busy day on the mound.


Well looking at the practice "100" there were 8 Tiffs making up a "0" so I'd say 21 to make the full number plus a few spares and you're not far off 27.... Mixed formation??

Re: RAF100

Fri 09 Feb 2018, 3:24 pm

What's that, the 27 jets are taking off and flying to all points of the compass to do flyovers over as much of the country as possible? Great idea.

A flypast over London. It's not hugely innovative is it?

Re: RAF100

Fri 09 Feb 2018, 6:57 pm

Ruislip Rustler wrote:
Craig wrote:I wonder if this is the rehersal? I thought the London flypast was the Friday with the formation routing via Fairford on its way back?


July the 10th is the focal day with a parade and full flypast in that there London.

That's interesting. So will London get a watered down version of the RIAT flypast or vice versa? A random weekday in early July hardly seems the best choice of time to formally Mark the RAF Centenary.

Re: RAF100

Fri 09 Feb 2018, 7:32 pm

Apparently, the original plan was for Tornados to form the 1 and Typhoons the zero's but as we now know this will be all Typhoons for the 100. One element of the flypast will consist of 7 Tornados forming an arrowhead with a diamond 4 of F-35 in the V behind. I assume this formation will all be from Marham.

Sid.

Re: RAF100

Fri 09 Feb 2018, 7:38 pm

Craig wrote:That's interesting. So will London get a watered down version of the RIAT flypast or vice versa? A random weekday in early July hardly seems the best choice of time to formally Mark the RAF Centenary.


10th of July was the first day of the Battle of Britain, so I wouldn't call it "A random weekday" for the RAF :snack: .

It's not often the RAF could spare 27 fast jets for flypast, plus what ever else involved. So make sense to have everything over a few day's if they intended to do the same over London and RIAT

Re: RAF100

Fri 09 Feb 2018, 10:20 pm

138EAW wrote:
Craig wrote:That's interesting. So will London get a watered down version of the RIAT flypast or vice versa? A random weekday in early July hardly seems the best choice of time to formally Mark the RAF Centenary.


10th of July was the first day of the Battle of Britain, so I wouldn't call it "A random weekday" for the RAF :snack: .

It's not often the RAF could spare 27 fast jets for flypast, plus what ever else involved. So make sense to have everything over a few day's if they intended to do the same over London and RIAT

True enough but it's not really conductive to much of the British public seeing it, especially when the main Battle of Britain celebrations are always in September. I'd just thought with such a massive effort going into it they'd want as many people as possible to see it. If they repeat exactly the same for RIAT Friday then yes granted it makes more sense.

Re: RAF100

Sat 10 Feb 2018, 8:55 am

Given 1st April was deemed inappropriate (Easter Weekend), a date 100 days later (Tuesday 10th June) was selected for the main parade in London and 100 aircraft flypast. Majority of major centenary celebratory events are being held in this 100 day period. But some RAF100 events (such as the City Centre Roadshow) will continue until September.

Re: RAF100

Wed 18 Apr 2018, 9:52 am

Typhoon/Spitfire synchro pair? would have found it highly appropriate.

Re: RAF100

Mon 23 Apr 2018, 9:46 am

What time, is the RAF 100 Flypast over the Mall, and Buckingham Palace, on Tuesday 10th July this year ? I need to know, so I can make travel arrangements.

Re: RAF100

Mon 23 Apr 2018, 11:12 am

eddywinch82 wrote:What time, is the RAF 100 Flypast over the Mall, and Buckingham Palace, on Tuesday 10th July this year ? I need to know, so I can make travel arrangements.


No time given I can find. The church service at Westminster Abbey, to take place before the Mall parade, ends at 11.30 so you'd think it'd be midday-ish.

Re: RAF100

Wed 25 Apr 2018, 10:41 am

Well Hawk T2 ZK031/ V is now wearing the totally underwhelming “RAF 100” fin flash

Re: RAF100

Thu 17 May 2018, 5:34 pm

Ho, hum.....
Watching the Welsh news this evening, where they were showing the 'aircraft' which are outside Cardiff City Hall this weekend as part of the RAF100 celebrations.
From what I could see - plastic Spitfire & plastic Typhoon ( the latter with the RAF100 sticker on it )
Not too sure about the Harrier, but I suspect that's also plastic ( as in, not a real one )
About the only real one appeared to be the Wessex.
They didn't show the Snipe, but that's a replica anyway.

Re: RAF100

Thu 17 May 2018, 6:44 pm

I believe the harrier is xz997 which used to be suspended in the milestone in flight gallery at Hendon.

Re: RAF100

Thu 17 May 2018, 6:59 pm

It looks to be a GR.3, unfortunately they didn't show the rear fuselage so couldn't see the s/no. ( if it had one )
Post a reply