Where has XH558 thread gone?

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
F-5F

Re: Where has XH558 thread gone?

Post by F-5F »

richw_82 wrote:Think carefully about this. Have you a legitimate concern with the charity not meeting its stated objectives; or are you just dissatisfied with the charity not doing what you think it should?

One will get you an answer from the Charities Commission, the other will just get a letter generated to VTST asking for a brief explanation. You go all around the houses to get the same answer you get on here.

Take for example the gift of the name on the aircraft. Where was it implied in the sale you could wander up and look at it as and when you please? They aren't actually breaking any rules.

Actually I do have a concern. I don't expect to "wander" up to the aircraft and look at my name as you put it - I'm not stupid. In fact I actually wish my name wasn't on the damn thing but my daughter thought i would like it and I have to be fair she gave this gift more thought than would be expected. But when I am asked by my daughter when can we go and visit it brings everything into perspective.

I would fully expect to pay a typical museum type admission cost (but not £100.00 for an engine run which I believe is pretty pointless, although credit due as they appear to be popular - for now). I was under the impression, maybe wrongly, that part of the "deal" was that the aircraft was to be accessible to "the people" and this is how it was sold to obtain the necessary funding all those years ago.

Well "the people" quite clearly do not have access to "their aircraft" and this is very wrong and a fundamental flaw in the charities business plan.

richw_82

Post by richw_82 »

I'm not suggesting you're stupid, I'm suggesting you're mixing up your own issues with what you have been sold and access to view that; with what would be an actual concern about the running of the charity.

Go look at the Charities Commission website and you can find guidance, also look up what VTST is required to do as a charity (their stated aims). If your complaint to the CC isn't about one of those aims, your problem will just get referred to VTST as its not a charitable issue.
Richard Woods
Team leader Avro Shackleton WR963
2009 - 2016
2019 -
http://www.facebook.com/avro.shackleton

F-5F

Post by F-5F »

Thanks Richard - good points. I do fully understand what you are saying - likely run around in circles getting more and more frustrated without achieving anything when playing the long game would be easier. Will do a little reading before possibly acting.

Must admit they do seem untouchable.

It's not just the personal issue that my daughter has spent money which I would have rather seen go to a homeless person than VTTS. I do really feel for her as she acted in good faith without my knowledge. However I have been watching/reading this thread with interest since XH558 retired.

The lack of answers to questions raised only a few pages earlier is quite laughable. Steve Liddle has gone to ground. Everything about this operation is, as you have put it, likely within the rules. They really do know how to play this game very well.

I know it's been covered elsewhere but when will the first set of accounts since the "trimming back" of employees took place be available? Will be interesting to see the salary of the highest paid employee!!

F-5F

Post by F-5F »

Just checked - accounts due 31 July 2018!!

Berf

Post by Berf »

Just look at Companies House, also has details of the officers and who is current. Next set by 31 July.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

F-5F wrote:Just checked - accounts due 31 July 2018!!

Which are normally published on the CC website in October.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

richw_82

Post by richw_82 »

If the proposed changes regarding Charities and the Freedom of Information Act comes into force, then it will start to get interesting quickly.
Richard Woods
Team leader Avro Shackleton WR963
2009 - 2016
2019 -
http://www.facebook.com/avro.shackleton

skidd40

Post by skidd40 »

Brevet Cable wrote:
F-5F wrote:VTTS are selling these with no opportunity to view them unless you are willing to stump up £100.00 for an engine ground run.

richw_82 wrote:Take for example the gift of the name on the aircraft. Where was it implied in the sale you could wander up and look at it as and when you please? They aren't actually breaking any rules.

VTST's answer will probably be that the plaques will be viewable on their website, such as : http://www.vulcantothesky.org/names.html

Indeed My Daughter Paid for my name to be on both Desmond last year and Bloodhound when ever that will be ready to Run both without any implied claim or expectation of a visit to see them without extra cost, nor would have i expected them to do

F-5F

Post by F-5F »

skidd40 wrote:
Brevet Cable wrote:
F-5F wrote:VTTS are selling these with no opportunity to view them unless you are willing to stump up £100.00 for an engine ground run.

richw_82 wrote:Take for example the gift of the name on the aircraft. Where was it implied in the sale you could wander up and look at it as and when you please? They aren't actually breaking any rules.

VTST's answer will probably be that the plaques will be viewable on their website, such as : http://www.vulcantothesky.org/names.html

Indeed My Daughter Paid for my name to be on both Desmond last year and Bloodhound when ever that will be ready to Run both without any implied claim or expectation of a visit to see them without extra cost, nor would have i expected them to do

As I have previously stated above - I do not expect to be able to see it without an additional charge. However the only way of seeing it for the foreseeable future is to pay £100 for an engine run which, whilst expensive is still popular with others at the moment, to me seems pretty pointless. Either it flies or it doesn't!!

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

In my opinion there is nothing that would concern the Charities Commission. As I see it, VTST are raising money and spending that money in a way they view as caring for 558 and preparing for her future. Some of us may doubt the viability of their plan and worry about large sums of money being spent on it in vain, but that is only our view. If people want to give them money, and they spend that money on marketing consultancy or legal advise in order to get their pitch heard by investors for the hangar project, there is nothing for the Charities Commission to do.

It seems to me the only avenue is to sit back and let this thing run its course, the current situation cannot continue for much longer. The hangar may be built, it may not, if is, the enterprise may or may not be successful. Time will tell. In the mean time, hopefully, the people who continue to give their hard earned money to VTST understand what the charity is going to do with it. Nothing illegal is going on, they don't conceal the fact they have paid employees and are spending money on trying to find a hangar investor. But I do feel it's a little unethical to continue to call it Vulcan to the Sky, and spend what I assume to be large sums on keeping 10 or so people on the payroll in an almost dormant charity that gets most of its work done by volunteers.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

It's like choosing to call a charity "Save the White Rhino" when the White Rhino is already extinct. By defintion, the aim stated within the name of the charity is not achieveble. What would be the motivation for such a scenario?
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

pbeardmore wrote:It's like choosing to call a charity "Save the White Rhino" when the White Rhino is already extinct. By defintion, the aim stated within the name of the charity is not achieveble. What would be the motivation for such a scenario?

"Vulcan To A Shed Next To The Sh*t Farm" doesn't quite have the same ring, I guess...

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

pbeardmore wrote:It's like choosing to call a charity "Save the White Rhino" when the White Rhino is already extinct. By defintion, the aim stated within the name of the charity is not achieveble. What would be the motivation for such a scenario?

My point exactly. It's misleading to have the name of the charity something it doesn't do. Sure if someone wants to research the aims before parting with their cash they can decide if they still want to give. But the casual passers by might well be disappointed later to find that the sky was the last place their money would help the Vulcan get to. It's false advertising to continue to use that name. I suggest The Vulcan XH558 Preservation Trust. Without honesty and transparency how can the VttST hope to keep their supporters happy for the decades to come.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Xm657 wrote:It's false advertising to continue to use that name. I suggest The Vulcan XH558 Preservation Trust.

That gets my vote.

ExVulcanGC

Post by ExVulcanGC »

I am more interested these days in what is intended for the Canberra, what has been donated for it's return to flight to date, what it has been used for, what, if any is left, is it going to be used for now. Is it still the intention to return to flight, and if so who is going to do this work and how is it going to be funded going forward.

None of that above is commercial in confidence, or any other excuse they try to provide for not being open and honest on the subject, and given all their talk about the Canberra return to flight, I believe they have a moral duty to report on what they intend to do with it, I know they won't as I believe, as noted historically, they really don't seem to care, or feel that they are answerable to anyone, least of all the people who fund them.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:
Xm657 wrote:It's false advertising to continue to use that name. I suggest The Vulcan XH558 Preservation Trust.

That gets my vote.

From what I recall, they did consider changing the name after it had stopped flying but decided not to do so.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

ExVulcanGC wrote:I am more interested these days in what is intended for the Canberra, what has been donated for it's return to flight to date, what it has been used for, what, if any is left, is it going to be used for now. Is it still the intention to return to flight, and if so who is going to do this work and how is it going to be funded going forward.

None of that above is commercial in confidence, or any other excuse they try to provide for not being open and honest on the subject, and given all their talk about the Canberra return to flight, I believe they have a moral duty to report on what they intend to do with it, I know they won't as I believe, as noted historically, they really don't seem to care, or feel that they are answerable to anyone, least of all the people who fund them.

Ah, yes the far more historic airframe of WK163 currently in their "care". This was the machine they bought, using donated funds, with no public consultation, for an unannounced price (which varies considerably depending on who you speak to, and indeed which document you read), stated they were intending to return it to flight, started a fund-raising campaign which proved a flop, and so it was moth-balled (left to fester in the middle of the airfield). They could have bought a near-airworthy PR.9 for similar money and been flying and earning with it within months. Instead, behind closed doors, the decision was made to buy '163 which hadn't flown in nearly a decade.

It's this unaccountability and we-know-whats-best-now-pay-up mentality which I find utterly abhorrent. If '163 flies again under their stewardship, I will run naked through the streets of Doncaster.

Skymonster

Post by Skymonster »

Xm657 wrote:In my opinion there is nothing that would concern the Charities Commission. As I see it, VTST are raising money and spending that money in a way they view as caring for 558 and preparing for her future. Some of us may doubt the viability of their plan and worry about large sums of money being spent on it in vain, but that is only our view. If people want to give them money, and they spend that money on marketing consultancy or legal advise in order to get their pitch heard by investors for the hangar project, there is nothing for the Charities Commission to do.

To the contrary I think it could be argued VTST are currently failing to meet all of the objectives stated in its Charity Commission registration:

(1) TO PRESERVE AND PROTECT AVRO VULCAN XH558 AND RETURN HER TO FULL WORKING ORDER FOR THE BENEFIT OF THE PUBLIC AND TO DEMONSTRATE AND DISPLAY HER TO THE PUBLIC AND TO CONSERVE AND RETURN TO FULL WORKING ORDER OTHER AIRCRAFT AND ENGINEERING ARTEFACTS IN GENERAL WHICH ARE OF SIGNIFICANT HERITAGE INTEREST AND TO MAINTAIN SUCH IN A PURPOSE-BUILT FACILITY.

(2) TO ADVANCE THE EDUCATION OF THE GENERAL PUBLIC IN AVRO VULCAN XH558, IN AVIATION AND ENGINEERING HERITAGE, IN ITS ASSOCIATED PROVENANCE, HISTORICAL AND SOCIAL CONTEXT AND IN THE STRATEGY OF DETERRENCE, FOR THE BENEFIT OF BRITISH HERITAGE, AND HISTORICAL KNOWLEDGE.

(3) TO ADVANCE EDUCATION OF THE GENERAL PUBLIC IN AVRO VULCAN XH588 AND OTHER AIRCRAFT AND ENGINEERING ARTEFACTS IN GENERAL OF SIGNIFICANT HERITAGE INTEREST, IN THEIR DESIGN, ENGINEERING AND TECHNOLOGIES, OPERATIONAL AND MAINTENANCE PROCESSES AND PROCEDURES; FOR THE BENEFIT OF BRITISH HERITAGE, AND TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE AND CONSERVATION, BY PROVIDING ACCESS TO ENGINEERING DEMONSTRATIONS AND PRACTICAL ACTIVITIES.

I note particularly that two of the three clauses refer to 'the general public' whilst the first only mentions 'the public'. I would hope the Charities Commission's interpretation of those terms does not accept that those able to access the facilities and education provided by VTST are limited only people prepared to stump up £100 for an engine run,

I accept there might be a plausible argument that VTST is currently still 'regrouping' following the grounding of the aircraft. But at the very least I would have hoped the Charities Commission would be scrutinising the organisation's current business closely, to establish whether it is realistic, and will meet the stated objectives within a reasonable timeframe. Equally, I would argue that it was always known that XH558 would be grounded one day (even if the date wasn't known when VTST became a charity) and as such I would have hoped that the feasibility of the plan for it after retirement would have been examined closely as part of the registration verification process.

ExVulcanGC

Post by ExVulcanGC »

RETURN TO FULL WORKING ORDER OTHER AIRCRAFT AND ENGINEERING ARTEFACTS IN GENERAL WHICH ARE OF SIGNIFICANT HERITAGE INTEREST

Well they have not done so well in this respect of the Canberra, which I believe was touted as being of major significant heritage interest.

TO ADVANCE EDUCATION OF THE GENERAL PUBLIC IN AVRO VULCAN XH588 AND OTHER AIRCRAFT AND ENGINEERING ARTEFACTS IN GENERAL OF SIGNIFICANT HERITAGE INTEREST, IN THEIR DESIGN, ENGINEERING AND TECHNOLOGIES, OPERATIONAL AND MAINTENANCE PROCESSES AND PROCEDURES; FOR THE BENEFIT OF BRITISH HERITAGE, AND TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE AND CONSERVATION, BY PROVIDING ACCESS TO ENGINEERING DEMONSTRATIONS AND PRACTICAL ACTIVITIES.

Accept that in a sense they have achieved most of this for 558, but the Canberra and swift, not really a success story there. As for:

TO MAINTAIN SUCH IN A PURPOSE-BUILT FACILITY.

They were in a hangar, but not now, so until they are back in a hangar, not really a success story here either, but then again from their silence it does not appear they are overly bothered in educating, allowing full access to the people/general public since flying stopped, with the exception of limited numbers for a cost that some think is a tad high for living the dream.

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

Thanks for the reminder of that Skymonster. Indeed, I'm sure the argument would be the current efforts are to build a venue so they can do just this (following the big bad airport chucking them out of their "highly profitable" previous accommodation). However, it can't go on forever before they surely will be in breach of their stated aims (and the conditions of the Heritage Lottery Fund). I really hope its not hangar or bust, and they are considering other plans. I suspect they aren't though, and lets face it, the options are pretty limited.

When did 558 go outside, was it June or July last year? So she has been in storage for a year now. Assuming the hangar plans are as advanced as they claim, it surely will be another 3 to 6 months before building work commences and a year to build has been quoted; so 558 will have been stored with no public access and the charity's aims put on hold for a minimum of 2 and a half years.

The Canberra is of course quite disgraceful. Bought with money donated for 558 (as has been proven by examination of the accounts), she will lie outside for years too. Seems unlikely she'll be in any state for flying again, and the VTST will be in no position to ever restore her anyway - the engineers are all gone, the new hangar lacks workshop facilities etc. She should be put on the market so at least someone else could be given the chance of restoring her. Are they just hanging on WK163 as convenient prop so they have something else to make their hangar plans look better?

ExVulcanGC

Post by ExVulcanGC »

Are they just hanging on WK163 as convenient prop so they have something else to make their hangar plans look better?

Possible safety net for those still taking a wage, even as a rapidly decreasing in value asset it must be worth something if they capitalise on that residual value sooner rather than later, or maybe use to raise remaining capital for the new temporary hangar until ETNA rises from the ashes.

Victor 23

Post by Victor 23 »

I don't know the ins & outs of this thread, maybe they should rename it Canberra To The Sky, if that's what they intend to do to get a Canberra flying. I think when the Vulcan stopped flying they should have called it quits, and maybe donated the nose section to a museum.

IgnatiusJReilly

Post by IgnatiusJReilly »

What would be very interesting to understand, would be how the trust reconciles the money raised month in and month out, with the actual spend on delivering the actual aims of the charity.
Most of the activities of the trust are now performed by volunteers, the aircraft are stored out in the open... so unless there is a rising fund being saved to pay for the hangar, inevitably, the rest of the money is being spent on back office activities.
In short, if the fundraising is just being used to pay for the fundraisers, then I would say that you would seriously have to question, is the trust running purely to make money for the trust?
Which falls squarely within the compass of reasons for a charity commission complaint, I believe.
Eccentric, idealistic, and creative, sometimes to the point of delusion..

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

IgnatiusJReilly wrote:What would be very interesting to understand, would be how the trust reconciles the money raised month in and month out, with the actual spend on delivering the actual aims of the charity.
Most of the activities of the trust are now performed by volunteers, the aircraft are stored out in the open... so unless there is a rising fund being saved to pay for the hangar, inevitably, the rest of the money is being spent on back office activities.
In short, if the fundraising is just being used to pay for the fundraisers, then I would say that you would seriously have to question, is the trust running purely to make money for the trust?
Which falls squarely within the compass of reasons for a charity commission complaint, I believe.

Of course the next set of accounts is due to be published soon. May I suggest a good study of those might reveal whether or not any such complaint to the Charities Commission is either valid or worthwhile? I certainly don't believe any laws have been broken, but whether it is morally right to be paying people a wage when the charity is clearly a long, long way from achieving its aims of building a hangar is something it is possible to have an issue with.

XR219

Post by XR219 »

Crikey! My apologies for not having contributed to this thread in a while; I’ve had a few things on. I can’t respond to everything that has been asked over the last month immediately, but it looks like the most recent questions have been about the Canberra. I’ll have a go with those for now and do my best to respond to the rest in due course.

The XH134 v WK163 and ‘money donated for XH558 spent on Canberra’ questions were answered in the Sept 2017 Q&A (by myself). It is linked here: http://www.vulcantothesky.org/6monthreview.html

XH134 v WK163
• VTST engineering staff considered XH134 to the extent of visiting and inspecting the aircraft at Kemble
• As said above, the aircraft was in the hands of the receivers of MidAir Squadron at the time and the valuation appeared to be well above any figure that could be raised in time.
• There were (and remain) serious concerns about the relative complication and small production run of the PR9, following the VTST engineering assessment. Clearly it is not impossible to operate a PR9 on the display circuit and we were used to a Complex category aircraft, but there were additional layers of difficulty associated with its systems etc that were potential banana skins. Think about the Sea Vixen compared to a Hunter for example.
• Our expertise was in returning aircraft to flight – the most value that could be added to the heritage sector by us was in doing this, using the capability that had been built by our supporters.
• There was nothing in this that stopped someone else/another group flying XH134. That has not happened, but not because of anything VTST has done (in my view).
• At the same time, we were offered the opportunity to purchase WK163, which as noted by Mr O’Hagan is an historically significant airframe in its own right and representative of the Canberra bomber force.
• The B2 is much closer to the clockwork and string end of the spectrum than the PR9.
• XH134 was in close to airworthy condition, hangered and looked after (albeit stored). There was no immediate threat to its potential as an airworthy heritage asset.
• WK163 by contrast was struggling and could have been lost as a potentially airworthy aircraft if not attended to soon. The probability of flying again given the run down of the fleet at Coventry was relatively low.
• The experience with XH558 meant that VTST was confident it could return WK163 to flight and generate the finance to do so.

Funding for the Canberra.

• The annual accounts describe WK163 as ‘Held at cost’ of ~£51k. This included (but is not limited to) the purchase price + VAT + spares + cost of transport to Doncaster.
• We don’t know what price could have been agreed for XH134, but it is reasonable to suppose that there would have been additional costs for the work required and hangarage while it was performed, together with equivalent transport for the spares stock.
• All of this cost was recovered by the subsequent Canberra appeal, hence no VTST central funding (let alone that specifically for XH558 as has been alleged) was ultimately used for the Canberra purchase.
• Including the Phase 1 assessment work at Doncaster, which aimed to survey the airframe for return to flight, more than 90% of the total project cost to date has been covered by the Canberra appeal. The remainder (less than 10%, obviously) did come from VTST central funding, but would have involved engineering support that existed anyway.
• Some of this proportion has been subsequently recovered by Canberra specific merchandise, which does rather well.
• We have not marketed the Canberra appeal recently for obvious reasons; the reaction at airshows and generally from our supporters gives us hope that the relaunch following the hangar build has a good chance of success.
• We intend to pursue an HLF grant for the Canberra project.

The plan for the Canberra

• We intend to return WK163 to flight and the airshow circuit. The phase 1 work has not revealed any showstoppers to the best of my knowledge.
• Had things panned out as we thought they would, then a return about two years after the purchase was targeted.
• There are at least four prerequisites to the restoration commencing; the availability of the hangar, the HLF grant (which cannot be sought for a project that has already started), further understanding of the costs and finally the impact of the Shoreham inquest on the regulatory environment.
• No further work on the restoration will be taking place until the hangar is available. We have said that we hope this will be in 2019.

Steve

Dan O'Hagan wrote:If '163 flies again under their stewardship, I will run naked through the streets of Doncaster.

I have never felt so motivated. Are there any conditions attached to this and can I choose the particular streets?
Last edited by XR219 on Tue 31 Jul 2018, 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
@steveliddle558
Vulcan to the Sky Trust Trustee (although expressing my own views)