Where has XH558 thread gone?

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
vulcan558

Re: Where has XH558 thread gone?

Post by vulcan558 »

Thought that they still had use of offices etc in hangar3 for comercial use.
Did notice thou that the new unit belongs too two of the Directors.
Well that is and as been there address for the past 3 years.

JetMan

Post by JetMan »

vulcan558 wrote:I see that the vtts have a new address outside of the airport now,
Unit 4 delta court.
Any reason why the change.

The trust have been operating out of there since early 2016 when the webstore moved to Doncaster from Hinckley. It’s still on the airport complex (about a 2 minute walk from hangar 3).

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

Thought the Nuneaton offices took care of this,
Why are they renting so many offices around the uk. You also have the rental for the main stores to consider also.

This must be costing a fortune in rents and the other bills that come with it.

No wonder 558s out side, the hangar rent is less important.
Must keep our fleet of offices warm so we can sit and twiddle ones thumbs.

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

MicrolightDriver wrote:Nah, shiny as in gloss coat, sunshine, no mould or greenery....

A bit premature for that that MLC, she's not been out that long yet. Give it a couple more years of outdoor storage and you should be getting some noticeable corrosion - jet pipe end cans usually suffer badly. I would imagine despite the superficial shine she's now beyond a condition permissible for a ferry flight, even if the authorities would allow it paperwork wise.

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

vulcan558 wrote:Thought the Nuneaton offices took care of this,
Why are they renting so many offices around the uk. You also have the rental for the main stores to consider also.

This must be costing a fortune in rents and the other bills that come with it.

No wonder 558s out side, the hangar rent is less important.
Must keep our fleet of offices warm so we can sit and twiddle ones thumbs.

That's the frustrating irony. They employ people and pay the costs of running a modest e-commerce business, but all it achieves is sustaining these employees and premises. No money is actually raised for the aircraft or its future. The harm in this is it depletes the stock of spares sold off and more importantly depletes the wallets of Vulcan supporters for no actual benefit.

IgnatiusJReilly

Post by IgnatiusJReilly »

Just reading the latest comments over on the VTTS forum...
Is anyone able to shed any light on the frankly disturbing rumour regarding the non sticking, sticky labels being fixed to XH558 with screws and penny washers?
Eccentric, idealistic, and creative, sometimes to the point of delusion..

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

IgnatiusJReilly wrote:Just reading the latest comments over on the VTTS forum...
Is anyone able to shed any light on the frankly disturbing rumour regarding the non sticking, sticky labels being fixed to XH558 with screws and penny washers?

IF this is true, then at least it's not just the supporters and donors being screwed by VTTS.

We are now right at the very outer limits of what is morally acceptable from VTTS. How on earth can anyone be drawing a wage from what is ostensibly now a rotting lump of metal sat in the middle of a sewage farm? Now with added drill holes, if the post above is to be believed.

I'd be very keen to see what percentage of the latest "names that no-one will ever see" campaign money went towards the new hangar nonsense and what percentage went on keeping staff wage packets filled.

Problem here is that nobody is accountable. How do the supporters, those that are left, go about removing Dr Pleming from his position?

Right now the aircraft is a lost cause, hoovering up money to pay salaries and build a hangar in the corner of an airfield in the middle of nowhere. Anyone who continues to throw money at it must be certifiable. It is no more significant now that the Vulcans outdoors at the likes of Norwich, Newark, Sunderland etc, and arguably of less significance than the well-kept movers at Southend and Wellesbourne. Neither of which has a CEO creaming off a lump of the income.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

IgnatiusJReilly wrote:Just reading the latest comments over on the VTTS forum...

Nah, Sam must be mistaken.
If it was true, 'bernarde' would have been wetting himself with excitement in his rush to make yet another negative VTST post on here.... :biggrin:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

JetMan

Post by JetMan »

Quite clearly stickers on these photos... http://www.vulcantothesky.org/names-und ... laque.html

IgnatiusJReilly

JetMan wrote:

Quite clearly stickers on these photos... http://www.vulcantothesky.org/names-und ... laque.html

I'm not surprised by many things the trust does, but if this turns out to be true, then I'll confess to being amazed...
It's probably best to read Sam's original post but I took the gist of it to be, that the stickers needed re-fixing.
It wouldn't be a big leap of the imagination to think that the stickers went on and were photographed in situ pretty much at the same time. It also wouldn't then be a big surprise if they needed re-fixing at a later date...

The problem is, that it's not as though anyone is able to pop by and take a look... If I recall, when the beacon light was dinged, I don't believe the trust ever fessed up publicly to that one and it was only really known about because of the access that arose due to the engine runs.

ExVulcanGC

Post by ExVulcanGC »

I am sure Taff will be looking out for 558, and should be able to 'pop' over to make sure all is well.

Full Flaps

Post by Full Flaps »

I can assure you the names plaques are made from high-quality 3M 'aircraft grade' vinyl, the same type used on commercial jets often flying in minus 30 celcius temperatures above 30,000 feet.

The whole idea of them falling off and being put back on by screws with washers is just ludicrous and you would have to wonder if such comments in posts are there for another purpose.

IgnatiusJReilly

Full Flaps wrote:The whole idea of them falling off and being put back on by screws with washers is just ludicrous and you would have to wonder if such comments in posts are there for another purpose.

No idea what to make of this to be honest. Sad Sam is usually pretty accurate, otherwise I wouldn't have paid any credence to this...

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

Full Flaps wrote:I can assure you the names plaques are made from high-quality 3M 'aircraft grade' vinyl, the same type used on commercial jets often flying in minus 30 celcius temperatures above 30,000 feet.

The whole idea of them falling off and being put back on by screws with washers is just ludicrous and you would have to wonder if such comments in posts are there for another purpose.

Sam has always been spot on in the past and he doesn't confirm that this actually happened, he is just conveying what he has heard, and saying he's concerned if it turns out to be true. He is always worries these transfers will block natural drainage holes and isn't convinced that would have been taken into account.

Anyway, I think we all know the purpose of your post, which is certainly partisan!

My view is that this story does seem very unlikely, surely if they wouldn't stick, a little glue would have been called for rather drilling holes.

XR219

Post by XR219 »

Fairly sure VTTST addressed this drilling nonsense in September. Please look for the appropriate heading in the Q&A.

http://www.vulcantothesky.org/6monthreview.html
@steveliddle558
Vulcan to the Sky Trust Trustee (although expressing my own views)

Dan213

Post by Dan213 »

Full Flaps wrote:I can assure you the names plaques are made from high-quality 3M 'aircraft grade' vinyl, the same type used on commercial jets often flying in minus 30 celcius temperatures above 30,000 feet.

Never seen bubbles under the vinyl on commercial aircraft. These can clearly be seen in the pictures. Whoever was tasked to put the stickers on has done a truly shocking job

Marka1967

Post by Marka1967 »

As I've said before the trust needs to be wound up and the aircraft handed over to a purely volunteer based organisation. Most of the remaining Vulcan fleet have been out doors for decades so trying to raise millions for a hangar in my view is nonsense and should be abandoned with the focus being concentrated on making the aircraft accessible to the public. As for your name under the wing thing I'd be very miffed if I had payed for it but couldn't get to see it due to not being able to access the aircraft. I think the only way to bring this sad affair to a close is for the public to stop giving their hard earned cash to it.

Full Flaps

Post by Full Flaps »

Dan213 wrote: Never seen bubbles under the vinyl on commercial aircraft. These can clearly be seen in the pictures.

Bubbles.... Mmmm...those would probably be from the rivets in the aircraft skin and as to the yellow shading, a reflection from the hi-viz of the cameraman.
Also, as they are applied wet and the photos taken almost immediately afterward, any bubbles pull out as the vinyl shrinks very slightly as they dry over the coming days.

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

I havnt seen these photos but having fitted this sort of thing I can comment there is no way air bubbles will go away after a couple of days. They need to be chased out at the time of fitting or you're stuck with them for life.

Anyway, who knows what the names plates are like (and unless you're daft enough to have bought one, who cares) nobody is able to see them.

Skymonster

Post by Skymonster »

"Please look out for more updates on developments in the New Year by following our newsletters or the website for the latest news."

So Plumming said there'd be updates in the New Year, in a piece specifically directed towards the granting of permission for construction of the hangar. No doubt some will give him leeway to not say anything further for another ten months and yet still feel he'd fulfilled his promise. However, I see us as now about 1/6th of the way through 2018 with no news of further progress, despite much work supposedly having been done to secure funding before the application was approved. Perhaps I was naive to think that they'd got parties lining up to invest, just awaiting the final nod from the council [or maybe I'm being sarcastic]. Each day that's gone - and every one that passes - inevitably prolongs the period in which the aircraft will be out in the open, suffering from the elements. How much longer before VTTS pulls a preverbial rabbit out of the hat - if indeed it ever does?

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

Skymonster wrote: How much longer before VTTS pulls a preverbial rabbit out of the hat - if indeed it ever does?

If I has to guess or bet money on it. I'd say never.

IgnatiusJReilly

Skymonster wrote:"Please look out for more updates on developments in the New Year by following our newsletters or the website for the latest news."
So Plumming said there'd be updates in the New Year....

In itself, whether they build or don't build a hangar is a bit of a moot point. The real issue is that without a secure hangar, there will be no meaningful public access for the foreseeable future. And with an extended period locked away, the trust really should now be asked some difficult questions by the Charity commission as to what they're actually doing with the money that's still being raised (and spent) week by week.
The argument will be that they're preparing the ground for the hangar, but under scrutiny, I find it very difficult to justify the running cost of the trust against the material progress that can be seen.

Beyond one planning permission application granted, its very difficult to point to anything meaningful that they've actually achieved for the millions donated.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Skymonster wrote:So Plumming said there'd be updates in the New Year

It's Pleming, not 'Plumming'
Accidentlly mis-spelling his name with 2 'm's is common enough - I'll admit to having done so myself on occasion - but unless intended as a poor joke ( 'Plumming the depths' or something ) there's no earthly reason for spelling it with a 'u' instead of an 'e'.
아직도 숨어있다

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

IgnatiusJReilly wrote:[the trust really should now be asked some difficult questions by the Charity commission as to what they're actually doing with the money that's still being raised (and spent) week by week

The CC won't act unless there are complaints, as was discussed on here a few months ago.
If anyone wants to crack on, feel free : https://www.gov.uk/complain-about-charity
아직도 숨어있다

JetMan

Post by JetMan »

IgnatiusJReilly wrote:Beyond one planning permission application granted, its very difficult to point to anything meaningful that they've actually achieved for the millions donated.

So training a volunteer ground crew to be able to conduct ground runs, carrying out multiple ground runs, operating a popular retail outlet at a busy shopping centre, numerous events around the country at both air shows and other events organised by the trust and others, and more that I could name. But other than all of that, what have they done?