Where has XH558 thread gone?

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
boff180
UKAR Staff

Re: Where has XH558 thread gone?

Post by boff180 »

43 pages about a grounded aircraft....

Xm657 - re: contractors... if they don't get paid it's simple, they'll take '558 as collateral ;-)

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

Significantly more than 44 pages actually because the thread has been archived/ deleted a couple of times already when it got to a similar length so its probably more like 120 pages.

I appreciate you are a staffer so can have some influence over the forum content but ultimately isn't it the forum users who dictate which direction the forum and its discussions take? Plenty of threads get started and have minimal or no replies - this one seems to be of interest to some people so we have 44 pages (mainly of bickering and point scoring I grant you but that is the nature of a divisive topic).

Plenty of people start threads or post picture which are of no/ little interest to me but I don't belittle them for doing do so I just move on to look at other ares of the forum that do interest me.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

The very reason the original thread was pulled was because we were sick to death of moderating that very same bickering on a daily - almost hourly - basis.

So yes after 44 pages, much of which being the same bickering that time is being wasted thanks to having to be heavily moderated, I’m bored of this thread existing.

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

So bin it/ lock it and threaten anyone with a ban if they try to bring back a similarly themed thread.

If its causing the mods team that much grief then just remove the cause of the grief rather than moaning about it.

If people want to discuss VTTS/ '558 then they have a dedicated forum for that on their website - though how long any of us would last before they sussed we were the best website on the internet (as they insist on calling us) and got banned is anyones guess.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Or just leave it unmoderated.

speedbird2639 wrote:before they sussed we were the best website on the internet (as they insist on calling us) and got banned is anyones guess.

Nope....this is UKARse......ARRSE is the best website on t'internet :biggrin:
Last edited by Brevet Cable on Mon 08 Jan 2018, 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

Would seem sensible to lock the thread, with a final post saying please start a new thread ONLY if you have anything NEW to post.

Please don't delete the thread completely though as there is interesting information between the bickering!

JetMan

Post by JetMan »

Xm657 wrote:Please don't delete the thread completely though as there is interesting information between the bickering!

You’ve just got to traw through 44 pages of the same arguments over and over again to find what is probably 5-10 interesting posts!!!

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

This topic must be intresting, its the highest viewed topic other then the Riat discussions topic.
The Riat discussions are the same old crap year after year. Would be well to lock that one also.

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

Draw a line from today onwards.

Anyone who needs to be moderated give them a one week ban.

If they need moderating again ban for a month.

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

borismorris wrote:Draw a line from today onwards.

Anyone who needs to be moderated give them a one week ban.

If they need moderating again ban for a month.

But isn’t this in itself, censorship, and putting down freedom of speech (within reason) that this site is so good for?

Let it roll, i’m sure those that don’t want to read what is in essence chit chat interspersed with the occasional great point, can simply not look at the thread?
Got to love Russianhardware

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Lock all the threads in typical Kim Pong Hitler style & only let the 'Staffers' post the kind of stuff they want us to see? That way Boff can have a siesta for Chrisakes! Be nice you guys....it's not like the Staff volunteered to do the job is it? :whistle:

Reds Rolling

Post by Reds Rolling »

boff180 wrote:The very reason the original thread was pulled was because we were sick to death of moderating that very same bickering on a daily - almost hourly - basis.

So yes after 44 pages, much of which being the same bickering that time is being wasted thanks to having to be heavily moderated, I’m bored of this thread existing.

Come on, it didn't take a rocket scientist to see that this unofficial 558 thread would go exactly the same way as all the official ones!

It's just a crying shame that Vulcans 426 and 655 hardly get a mention here while the 558 threads constantly go round and round in circles. :roll:

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Nobody stopping anyone from discussing them, or even starting topics for them.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Think I've seen it all now. A moderator on an aviation forum wants an aviation thread closed, when it's some days the only thread on this ever-more-quiet forum to get traffic, purely because he himself is fed up with the content.

Tell you what's more pressing on you Andy, how about addressing the reasons why last year's Top 10 article's been about as popular as herpes? Namely because almost no-one in Staff can write for toffee, take a decent photograph or dare voice an opinion. UKAR is being trounced for quality of content by "rivals" like the Vintage Aviation Echo, and that has nothing to do with people posting in a thread about XH558.

Put UKAR's house in order first and stop trying to stifle the only free discussion of one of historic aviation's biggest scandals in memory - the self-serving decision to dump XH558 at Doncaster with nothing but pipe dreams laid down.

No-one forces you to read the thread, do they?

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Hypocrite. Remind me again who was banned from the forums for deleting peoples posts because they didn't like them or what they said in order to censor discussions? Oh that's right..... it was you.

All for sensible discussion but when a number of posters can't do that without resorting to vitriol or bickering that runs round in circles it ruins it for the rest, something has to be said or done.

I may be the only one in public saying but I can assure you I am not the only member of staff sick of moderating this thread. We have no choice but to moderate - it's our job, if we didn't then we'd be moaned at for not upholding the rules. However, when moderating a specific thread becomes too much there are two choices, a liberal application of the ban hammer or.... the topic is put to bed permanently. Which would people prefer was used. It's the minority spoiling it for the rest.

If conversation is kept sensible, the thread discussion is free to carry on although it has come to the point where anymore bickering will see the thread go.

Unless one of the more sensible posters in this thread wishes to volunteer to moderate it......

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

boff180 wrote:Unless one of the more sensible posters in this thread wishes to volunteer to moderate it......

Just to be clear, this precludes you, Dan.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:Think I've seen it all now. A moderator on an aviation forum wants an aviation thread closed, when it's some days the only thread on this ever-more-quiet forum to get traffic, purely because he himself is fed up with the content.

I must've missed the bit where Andy said he wanted it closed, unless 'bored with existing' equates to being closed in your mind?

While I don't believe the thread should be closed, there is far too much pettiness and bickering between both sides and not enough facts. Does that reflect well on the forum to people outside?

Dan O'Hagan wrote:Tell you what's more pressing on you Andy, how about addressing the reasons why last year's Top 10 article's been about as popular as herpes?

It's only been up 8 days and it's almost had as many comments as last years post, so maybe on the STI scale it's not quite as bad as herpes.

Dan O'Hagan wrote:Put UKAR's house in order first and stop trying to stifle the only free discussion of one of historic aviation's biggest scandals in memory - the self-serving decision to dump XH558 at Doncaster with nothing but pipe dreams laid down.

No-one forces you to read the thread, do they?

I don't think anyone wants to stop the discussion on XH558, we're all adults here, we just need less of the bickering, and the constant merry-go-round of the same things being regurgitated on an almost daily basis.

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

boff180 wrote:Hypocrite. Remind me again who was banned from the forums for deleting peoples posts because they didn't like them or what they said in order to censor discussions? Oh that's right..... it was you.

All for sensible discussion but when a number of posters can't do that without resorting to vitriol or bickering that runs round in circles it ruins it for the rest, something has to be said or done.

I may be the only one in public saying but I can assure you I am not the only member of staff sick of moderating this thread. We have no choice but to moderate - it's our job, if we didn't then we'd be moaned at for not upholding the rules. However, when moderating a specific thread becomes too much there are two choices, a liberal application of the ban hammer or.... the topic is put to bed permanently. Which would people prefer was used. It's the minority spoiling it for the rest.

If conversation is kept sensible, the thread discussion is free to carry on although it has come to the point where anymore bickering will see the thread go.

Unless one of the more sensible posters in this thread wishes to volunteer to moderate it......

Looks like you have the problem sorted, 3 times you have said in one or the other thats is a small minority,
Moderate that small minority. Problem sorted.

Reds Rolling

Post by Reds Rolling »

vulcan558 wrote:Looks like you have the problem sorted, 3 times you have said in one or the other thats is a small minority,
Moderate that small minority. Problem sorted.

So long as that includes moderating people who just regurgitate the same old boring guff time and time again then I'm all for it. Wont happen though, and we'll probably still have people moaning about it not going to Brunty in five years time! :sleepy:

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

Why not lock the thread just for the time being until something significant happens (if,when or ever)then some of us can say great news (hopefully)or told you it would end up scrapped in the end(hopefully not but more likely)

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

Why not print off all of the comments onto individual sheets of A4 & use them to build a hangar for 558.

:grin:

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

TYPHOON3 wrote:Why not lock the thread just for the time being until something significant happens (if,when or ever)then some of us can say great news (hopefully)or told you it would end up scrapped in the end(hopefully not but more likely)

I agree, this seems to be the best thing to do for now. Personally, its just too tempting to react to the latest comment on here, or post a remark after receiving the latest email from VttST. The discussion is fairly pointless right now, with nothing new to add, so lets lock it for the time being. I doubt anything significant will happen at Doncaster for a long while but it can always be unlocked or a new thread start if anything does.

Skymonster

Post by Skymonster »

TYPHOON3 wrote:Why not lock the thread just for the time being until something significant happens (if,when or ever)then some of us can say great news (hopefully)or told you it would end up scrapped in the end(hopefully not but more likely)

I think that would be a sad and a mistake. This thread is one of very few discussions that are actually trying to raise a voice that tries to holds VTTST to account for what has and what is going on. There are newsletter updates from the trust every week, and each could merit discussion - is it really the best solution to lock this topic and then unlock it every week so people can comment on the latest missives from the Trust? I don't think so. If people want to say "it should have gone to Brunty" now, or say it in five years time, so what - it's their view and they should be entitled to express it. There are a lot of people who have an emotional stake in this aircraft and moderators need to recognise that and moderate, not censure or restrict the freedom to express opinion.
And if others don't want to read this, surely they could start a more staid and boring discussion and then we would see which attracts the most interest.

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

Skymonster wrote:

I think that would be a sad and a mistake. This thread is one of very few discussions that are actually trying to raise a voice that tries to holds VTTST to account for what has and what is going on. There are newsletter updates from the trust every week, and each could merit discussion - is it really the best solution to lock this topic and then unlock it every week so people can comment on the latest missives from the Trust? I don't think so. If people want to say "it should have gone to Brunty" now, or say it in five years time, so what - it's their view and they should be entitled to express it. There are a lot of people who have an emotional stake in this aircraft and moderators need to recognise that and moderate, not censure or restrict the freedom to express opinion.
And if others don't want to read this, surely they could start a more staid and boring discussion and then we would see which attracts the most interest.

Totally agree with your comments,
Should we lock the Riat discussions every week until they post an update.

steveb23

Post by steveb23 »

Not being funny but to me the discussion on here seems to go round in circles more about whether the thread should exist / how it should be moderated than the actual Vulcan!

Personally, think it’s an important thread to break through the propaganda of VTTS, and allow uncensored views to be expressed about the self styled “people’s aircraft”.

Also UKAR is great and is not going down the swanny!