Nightshoot: An evening with Navy Wings

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Threshold.aero

Nightshoot: An evening with Navy Wings

Post by Threshold.aero »

We’re working with Navy Wings at Yeovilton to offer an evening of all things Fleet Air Arm (FAA) and help Sea Vixen XP924 on its way back to full health following its forced landing earlier this year.

Under the Navy Wings banner sits the Royal Navy Heritage Flight (RNHF), which boasts one of the world’s most extensive collections of airworthy naval aircraft, charting the history of the FAA from the introduction of the Fairey Swordfish in 1936, right through to 2006 and the retirement of the Sea Harrier FA.2.

It’s the RNHF stable that will form the basis of the nightshoot, with their pair of Hawker Sea Furies, FB.11 VR930 and the recently restored T.20 VX281, both being made available for the event.

Alongside the Hawker pair will sit Fairey Swordfish with Mk.I W5856, the oldest surviving example of the type, and Mk.II LS326 taking centre stage.

Finally, the RNHF have confirmed their Chipmunk T.10 will also be present. The aircraft is one of the flight’s lesser seen aircraft, being used in a training role for tailwheel conversion.

Book your tickets now on our website!

J.C Photography

Re: Nightshoot: An evening with Navy Wings

Post by J.C Photography »

Can't wait! Is the Sea Fury likely to fold its wings during the shoot?

Seamus

Post by Seamus »

Excellent. Been hoping for an event like this at VL :rock:
My shots on Flickr and Airliners

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

just booked, well done Threshold, you are doing a grand job
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

Aquarious

Post by Aquarious »

I've tried booking this but I'm struggling. I've managed to enter all my details and get as far as section 3 where it asks for a promotional code but I cant get any further than that and then it times out. I've tried on both my laptop an my iPad with similar issues on both. Is it just me or is anyone else having similar issues?

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Do you have the payment details underneath?

Aquarious

Post by Aquarious »

Hi cg_341, yes, I eventually managed to get that far and thankfully I have managed to process payment now. I initially didn't realize that I needed to register with Threshold as I'm a :clown:, but even then I still had some issues, but as I say, its all cool now :cool:. I'm looking forward to this event.

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

You shouldn't have needed to register for the site in order to book an event ticket, they're separate. Drop me a PM and we'll sort something out :up:

Aquarious

Post by Aquarious »

Thanks for the offer cg_341. I assumed that I didn't need to register as there was no indication that this was required. However, I found that I couldn't complete stage 3 multiple times on two different platforms but once I registered, there were no further issues. I've got my ticket now so all resolved. I just hope that others are not having the same problem I had, though that may be down to my lack of technical skills :oops: .

Threshold.aero

Post by Threshold.aero »

Sea Vixen to join An evening with Navy Wings​ lineup on 26 October

Despite having suffered serious structural damage when it made an emergency landing at RNAS Yeovilton on 27th May, Sea Vixen XP924 will be present at the 26th October nightshoot.

Navy Wings​ have confirmed that, subject to weather, their Sea Vixen will be outside parked alongside the collection’s Sea Furies and Swordfish for the Navy Wings night photoshoot.

This provides a unique, and we believe first, opportunity to photograph XP924 at night and it's one we don't want you to miss! It also allows you a chance to see where your attendance fee is going and to see what progress has been made on the aircraft since its forced landing earlier in the year.

Remember, tickets are priced at just £30 per person and are available through our website!

Spotty_Jag

Post by Spotty_Jag »

Any chance of the Phantom & Sea Harrier (which live in the same hangar as the RNHF machines) coming outside for the night..? :drool:

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Working on it! Lots of hoops to jump through first :up:

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

Looks like an awesome event. How long will the event run for?

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Waiting to find out from the station, but we've recommended 9pm at the earliest to them.

tommercer
UKAR Supporter

Post by tommercer »

Threshold.aero wrote:Sea Vixen to join An evening with Navy Wings​ lineup on 26 October

Despite having suffered serious structural damage when it made an emergency landing at RNAS Yeovilton on 27th May, Sea Vixen XP924 will be present at the 26th October nightshoot.

Navy Wings​ have confirmed that, subject to weather, their Sea Vixen will be outside parked alongside the collection’s Sea Furies and Swordfish for the Navy Wings night photoshoot.

This provides a unique, and we believe first, opportunity to photograph XP924 at night and it's one we don't want you to miss! It also allows you a chance to see where your attendance fee is going and to see what progress has been made on the aircraft since its forced landing earlier in the year.

Remember, tickets are priced at just £30 per person and are available through our website!

Second time :)

There was a small event run by the aircraft's former owner when she was based down at Bournemouth, although I've absolutely no idea where my shots are from that actually!

Threshold.aero

Post by Threshold.aero »

Would be interested in seeing them, Tom. We weren't aware of another event with the Sea Vixen so photos would be really cool!

Threshold.aero

Post by Threshold.aero »

[fb-post]https://www.facebook.com/thresholdaero/posts/487822764918702[/fb-post]

Airspeed

Post by Airspeed »

Have booked, but would appreciate clarification on one aspect of the event. Will any of the aircraft conduct an engine run during this night shoot?

Threshold.aero

Post by Threshold.aero »

Hopefully, yes. All depends on how many hours (or minutes!) the pilot(s) have left after their active duty service during the day/week leading up to the event.

Obviously we can't tell the FAA not to roster them for flying, so we'll just have to keep our fingers crossed.

Sorry I can't be more definite! :confused:

Threshold.aero

Post by Threshold.aero »

Midweek midday(ish) update for you!

It's just been confirmed that AT-6D Texan G-KAMY, painted in USAAF colours will be present on the night. From the Navy Wings website:

Tim Manna owns this aircraft and is a generous benefactor of the RN Historic Flight, allowing the use of G-KAMY for pilot training of helicopter or Jet pilots destined for the Flight’s heavier engined warbird types, and continuation training once there. Neither Jet nor Helicopter disciplines lend themselves to piston engined tailwheel aircraft such as the Swordfish, Seafire or Sea Fury. The Texan provides the prospective warbird pilot a little heavier piston handling experience and is invaluable as a training and assessment aircraft. It is quite twitchy on the runway with a reputation for ground looping and teaches pilots to notice the slightest movement in heading and correct it immediately before it becomes a problem. Supercharged, with constant speed prop, retractable undercarriage, quirky taxiing, swinging under power and reasonable gyroscopic effect all help broaden the pilot’s experience beyond the Historic Flight’s normal trainer, the DH Chipmunk. Carrying out practice displays at realistic heights also prepares the trainee warbird pilot for the experience, dangers and safe completion of low level aerobatics, but under controlled and supervised conditions. Taking off and landing the T6 from the back seat is not easy and the view not dissimilar to that from the bigger piston warbirds.

Book at https://www.threshold.aero/event/evening-navy-wings

centaurus18

Post by centaurus18 »

The only platforms that could run, are the Fury T.20, Chippy and Texan I suspect - Centaurus at decent revs.... :hypno: :music:
Mark
'We’re in the stickiest situation, since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.'

Threshold.aero

Post by Threshold.aero »

Phantom? Confirmed :biggrin:

Seamus

Post by Seamus »

Excellent news :clap:

Now, I assume you've asked, but a Harrier or two would finish this event off perfectly :love:
My shots on Flickr and Airliners

Threshold.aero

Post by Threshold.aero »

But then there'll be nothing for the next one! :grin:

In all seriousness, we have asked and a mixture of logistical and technical reasons mean it's unlikely we'll have them outside; we may be able to allow people into the hangar to photograph them. Obviously should this event go well and everyone is happy and up for it, we'll look at another event next year in which we'll see what we can do :)
Last edited by Threshold.aero on Tue 17 Oct 2017, 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.