Italian Typhoon display crash

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
smokey

Re: Italian Typhoon display crash

Post by smokey »

Seems to be a lot of speculation going on in this thread UKAR usually take a dim view on that or have things changed?
Rich in Rutland

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

All the photos I’ve seen have exhibited a varying degree of telephoto lens compression due to the angle of the shot so discussing the boats relative position to the incident is a bit of a moot point and dare I say is speculation (hides).

As for the reheat, shots conclusively show it was plugged in, that’s not speculation (hides again).

A terrible and quite shocking accident and I’m sure we will all wait to read the result of the investigation into the cause.

Blue Skies

Andy

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

A very sad crash. :sad:

For anyone who has watched the videos, particularly the clearer ones where the aircraft is not just a distant speck, it is noteworthy that the crash follows a climbing turn to height, 50% of what the Eastern European displays used to call a side loop, its not a vertical loop. Following the climb, its levelled off over the top, then inverts to perform a half loop back down sadly running out of room.

Unfortunately many press reports are running the usual "performing a loop the loop" garbage when clearly its not a standard loop at all.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Vodka

Post by Vodka »

Harvo266

Post by Harvo266 »

It sure is a weird accident, as well as utterly depressing and tragic. Even from the start, the jet seems to be going very fast, faster than most displays are usually performed (the video may make it look faster than it was). Initially I thought it looked nearly 2x faster than it was at RIAT last year, but since then I have come to conclusions that different rules in Italy allowed that to happen? The news report stating 'the pilot attempted a loop-the-loop in front of girlfriend and family' really made me quite frustrated - The way the article is constructed makes it seem the pilot was just making it up as he went along and was maybe doing aerobatics to impress his family.

As Andy has said, I await the full report to see the possible causes of the terrible accident.

Condolences to the family, friends and Air Force.
Nikon D500