Spotting / photography in Malta

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
sebcoe

Spotting / photography in Malta

Post by sebcoe »

Hi - I'm off to Malta next week on holiday (first time) and may try any get some time at the airport. We're staying in the north of the island. Anyone got any tips on locations for pics, getting to the airport, best time/day to go etc? Also any sites/groups that might be useful for getting a heads up on unusua visitors? Thanks in advance, any useful info appreciated. Cheers

AndyXH558

Re: Spotting / photography in Malta

Post by AndyXH558 »

Hi. lucky you. Love Malta. Where are you staying?

There are Plenty of opportunities for a bit of aviation photography. There is a dedicated spotters area on the road opposite the terminal building which has a raised platform... as for times i cant help there but they do get a few rare beasts in. Also there is the Malta Air Museum at the old RAF base at Ta Qali which is well worth a visit. also there is the Craft Village close that if you are going with your partner there is plenty to keep them occupied.

There is the War Museum at Fort St Elmo in Valletta which has all sorts of relics and one of the three Gladiators called Faith from WW2.

Here is one of the best guides on locations at Luqa and sometimes you get the odd warship in too. http://maltaspotting.com

Hope you have a great time.
Life's a piece of S*** if you look at it!

sebcoe

Post by sebcoe »

Thanks Andy. We are up near St Pauls Bay, Qawra.
I hear getting about by bus is straight forward.. or would you suggest a car?
Cheers
Steve

AndyXH558

Post by AndyXH558 »

Where you are in Qarwa the bust station is in the square just above the Dolmen Hotel where you can get near as dammit all over the island. A trip to the markets are a good thing to do especially Marsaslox on a sunday. I recommend the Knickerbocker Bar just to the right of the bus station for a meal.

you will get timeshare sharks along the front just say no thanks and they usually leave you alone.

As for car hire, Yes its a really good way of getting round places like the Air museum. Just a little word of warning though.. the Maltese are a little mad when it comes to driving.. maybe a little is and understatement!!!!

hope you enjoy your holiday and if you need any more advice just pm me.

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

There's a bus that runs direct to the air museum from Bugibba bus terminus, and another that runs past the far end of the crafts market from Mosta to Mdina (and vice versa). I recommend that if you get a chance do a bus tour of the Southern side of the island as its a total contrast to the heavily built up North. Also the Lascaris War Rooms beneath Valetta.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

jonny7

Post by jonny7 »

Hi Sebcoe...Once you are orientated after landing,go under the runway and look for the "Planka".This is a gantry built for spotters and it faces the main terminal, you came through.
If you are fit, it will take 15 minutes or so and its simply left out the terminal, left on the road junction, near the building with all the red fascia, in the shot with the Embraer in.Go
under the runway and then turn left at the roundabout and you will see it after a couple of minutes walking.

I have supplied a link that highlights the "Planka",called this by the local spotters, and a shot of the Embraer of a typical scene from their. A good lens to cover all angles and distance from there would be a 28-300 or anything near that. http://www.spotterguide.net/index.php/p ... -mla-lmml/

Image20 by John Bilcliffe, on Flickr

Image21 by John Bilcliffe, on Flickr

Good luck. There is a Mc Donald's, near the building with a red fascia... :smile:
Don't say something crass, to hide your envy. Just give credit, when its applicable...

jag636

Post by jag636 »

Yeah we had a trip to malta back in 2010 and its a marmite type of place, we stopped at buggeba which is at st pauls bay. We visited the museum there which had 2 daks and an NF 14 Meteor which is electically live and lot of models and the exhibits are well looked after, but malta is a very hot place so be well prepared and little shade :rock:
Member of Newark air museum and trustee/acquisitions officer just trying to save what we all love and thats history

DOUGHNUT

Post by DOUGHNUT »

Enjoy Malta !!!
Had my first holiday there this summer and certainly planning to go back.
Top marks for the locals who set up the viewing area, although the times I visited it was very quiet.
The Air Museum at Ta Qali is a must see. Good aircraft both restored and wrecks and most OK for photos.
It was a family holiday, stayed in the St Pauls area, but you really do not need a car as the bus service is excellent and cheap 2 Euros (pay the driver) for any length of journey, even cheaper if you buy a travel card from the airport, which was ten journeys for 15 Euro.
Only down side was in mid summer the buses were very full and often running late due to the crowded roads.

Maudit

Post by Maudit »

Hello,
Here is my map for the meeting in Malta
There are blue dots for spotting and in yellow for the morning
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... 47812&z=15

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

jag636 wrote:Yeah we had a trip to Malta back in 2010 and its a marmite type of place.

That's one way of describing it. I understand that the Maltese are very fond of killing and eating migrating birds, many of which were on their way here. Think I'll give the place a miss.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

AndyXH558

Post by AndyXH558 »

Alex please do not tarnish the whole island because of some morons. jeez.. try the place before you criticise the place.

frank

Post by frank »

AndyXH558 wrote:Alex please do not tarnish the whole island because of some morons. jeez.. try the place before you criticise the place.

Andy its not " some morons". Step away from the big hotels and beaches and you will find a different attitude about bird life - virtually every footpath we covered in our walks were littered with shotgun cartridges. It is still a weekend activity to go out in your jeep/4x4 with your shotgun and blast the wildlife.
I have had the very unpleasant experience of walking around the coast in Malta and come across many many nets, glued trees and wild birds cages. It is endemic and a way of life - its their heritage and rights I have been reminded more than once. One of my walking group had the unfortunate experience of trying to release a caged wild bird and had stones and abuse thrown at her. I thought the two thugs who came from a hideout were going to assault her.
Never will I go to Malta again

sebcoe

Post by sebcoe »

Thanks for the helpful tips and pointers much appreciated.

AndyXH558

Post by AndyXH558 »

oh one thing seb... the ice cream is amazing !!!!

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-41689147

And the Government don't respond favourably to constructive criticism either.