British Phantom Aviation Group (Official Topic)

Re: British Phantom Aviation Group (Official Topic)

Postby Mister G on Tue 02 Jan 2018, 6:24 pm

Possibly digressing slightly but.......

Having just read the Key British Phantoms special a recollection has come to mind.

Many moons ago I recall being told that Spey engined Phantoms had to carry the front two sparrow/skyflash missiles or drill rounds to keep the aircraft within c of g limits due to the smaller size of the RR engines compared to J79s. Was this true or was I being fed a load of porkies?

I've never seen any confirmation or otherwise of this but then it was probably highly classified if our 8 missile fighter could only ever fire 6 of them!
If you've enjoyed this half as much as I have,
then I've enjoyed it twice as much as you!
Mister G

Postby FarnboroJohn on Tue 02 Jan 2018, 6:45 pm

Mister G wrote:Possibly digressing slightly but.......

Having just read the Key British Phantoms special a recollection has come to mind.

Many moons ago I recall being told that Spey engined Phantoms had to carry the front two sparrow/skyflash missiles or drill rounds to keep the aircraft within c of g limits due to the smaller size of the RR engines compared to J79s. Was this true or was I being fed a load of porkies?

I've never seen any confirmation or otherwise of this but then it was probably highly classified if our 8 missile fighter could only ever fire 6 of them!

I don't know but secondary school physics suggests not. To have to keep a turning moment forward of the C of G would suggest the Speys were in fact heavier than the J79s and therefore exerting a greater moment aft of the C of G.

In any case, we all know our Requirements staffs would never stand for ordering a fighter aircraft that would go into battle with a lump of unusable ballast in place of usable weaponry, be it gun or missile! :wink:

John
FarnboroJohn

Postby FGR2 on Tue 02 Jan 2018, 7:00 pm

The Speys were bigger, and a lot of photos I have seen have the drill rounds (or Sparrows) in place.

I don't know how much difference it made, however I do know the display airframes in 1992 had the blue drill/ballast rounds in place, so it must have made some difference.
FGR2

Postby st24 on Wed 03 Jan 2018, 1:10 am

Invariably the display jets from 1970 carried the front 2 drill rounds, initially with the wing tanks but these were dropped (not literally!) from 1976 onwards but the inner pylons were retained, sometimes with the Sidewinder rails. I seem to recall having spoken with various display crews that this was CoG related but more aerodynamically than weight/mass..
That said the Navy jets displayed in many varying configurations; asymmetric pylons, totally clean, centre tank etc and not always with front Sparrows... :dizzy:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!
st24

Postby BPAG on Sun 07 Jan 2018, 7:56 am

XV582 'Black Mike' all clean and back under cover, with a few pals for company.

BPAG

Postby drumm78 on Mon 08 Jan 2018, 5:52 pm

Awesome.best looking phantom in my opinion
drumm78

Postby Tommy on Thu 18 Jan 2018, 5:20 pm

Looks laaarverly. :up: :love:

Good to see the Wessex in the background there, too.
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 18 Jan 2018, 7:31 pm

There I was thinking that either my eyesight's gone crap or you've got x-ray vision......until I realised you weren't on about the last picture published :lol:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby BPAG on Mon 22 Jan 2018, 5:25 pm

The BPAG polishing team and the fruit of their labours. Well worth the sore shoulders and aching elbows. Many thanks and well done to each and every single one of them.

BPAG

Postby drumm78 on Mon 22 Jan 2018, 8:39 pm

Missed a bit.lol
drumm78

Postby Tommy on Mon 22 Jan 2018, 9:10 pm

Lookin' good.

Is anything else going to be done to the 'frame/any work left to do, or will it stay "as is" until the airshow now?
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Previous

Return to Aviation Waffle