British Phantom Aviation Group (Official Topic)

Discussions regarding historic aircraft, restoration and preservation etc
flashman8

Re: British Phantom Aviation Group (Official Topic)

Post by flashman8 »

CJS wrote:Totally different when the type is still in service. See also Indian Jaguars, Spanish and American Harriers, Iranian Tomcats etc...

Huge teams of personnel to keep them serviceable, support from the companies which designed the aircraft, a steady supply of available spares and so on (obviously one of my examples doesn't have all of this :-o ).

Compare that to a group of volunteers who need to fund raise for everything and you start to see why it's so unlikely.

Phantom to the sky anyone?....................... :wink:
Sony A700, A550, , Minolta 135, 500, Sigma 10-20, Sony 18-70, 50,70-300GSSM,Tamron 17-50,90mm

BPAG

Post by BPAG »

To all those of you attending Cosford tomorrow. The BPAG will be ready to greet you, please come and say hello. XV582 will be in the QRA display in the static and the BPAG stall will be nearby. XV490 is in the Open Cockpit zone and will be open for visits all day. Hope to see you there.

BPAG

Post by BPAG »

Pat Murphy wrote:So what happens to her next?

The owner of the aircraft wants to take it to St Athan. We would prefer it to be on public display somewhere more central. However, progress on this alternative proposal is going much slower than anyone anticipated. So, the situation remains unresolved at the time of writing.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Am I adding 2 and 2 and making 5?
The owner of Black Mike wants her to go to St. Athan.
The much maligned (on here anyway), UK Aviation Heritage Trust aim to set up their museum in St. Athan.

Is there a link?
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

BPAG

Post by BPAG »

iainpeden wrote:Am I adding 2 and 2 and making 5?
The owner of Black Mike wants her to go to St. Athan.
The much maligned (on here anyway), UK Aviation Heritage Trust aim to set up their museum in St. Athan.

Is there a link?

The BPAG has no link with UKHAT. We are also not involved with anything that may be planned for St Athan. Our ambitions lie elsewhere.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Thanks for that swift and reassuring reply; I didn't want to be shaving with her 5 years on.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

BPAG

Post by BPAG »

A huge thank you to everyone who turned out to the Cosford Airshow on Sunday and a special thank you to all those made time to visit XV490 or Black Mike, chat to our team or stop by the BPAG merchandise stall. The group would not be able to carry out its aims if it wasn't for your support and every penny made yesterday will go toward helping the BPAG in its activities in the future. The group is made up entirely of volunteers so your contribution, however small, really does make a difference. Our next event is the Lincolnshire Show on 20/21 June, when XV490 will again be in attendance, hopefully we will see some of you there. Once more, many many thanks to you all.

BPAG

Post by BPAG »

One final shot from Cosford, and its a beauty. Thanks to Damien Burke for sharing it with us.

BPAG

Post by BPAG »

Its a busy week for XV490. Tomorrow and Thursday, it will be on display at the Lincolnshire Show at the Lincolnshire Showgrounds. Then, this weekend sees the annual Cockpit Fest at Newark Air Museum. Cockpit visits will be available at both events and BPAG team members will be on hand to chat and answer your questions. Hope to see you there!

BPAG

Post by BPAG »

An unusual sight on the streets of Cleethorpes. XV490 rolls into town for this weekend's Armed Forces Day.

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

I am not meaning Black Mike or any of the Gate Guard Phantoms, I don't even mean any of the airframes which were around the base as decoys etc, but I am trying to remember but can't quite manage it, to remember which was the last Operational RAF F.4 Phantom to appear at an RAF Leuchars Airshow, both/ either in the Static and Flying Displays? I suspect it would be a 74 Sqdn FGR.2 from Wattisham?
Last edited by Unknown74 on Sat 30 Jun 2018, 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

Unknown74 wrote:I am not meaning Black Mike or any of the Gate Guard Phantoms, I don't even mean any of the airframes which were around the base as decoys etc, but I am trying to remember but can't quite manage it, to remember which was the last Operational RAF F.4 Phantom to appear at an RAF Leuchars Airshow, both/ either in the Static and Flying Displays? I suspect it would be a 74 Sqdn FGR.2 from Waddington?

I think you mean Wattisham, not Waddington.

According to Scramble, the last one was XT903/X of 56 sqn which was at the 1993 airshow, preceded by XT895/Q, XT914/Z & XV487 of 74 sqn at the 1992 show.
Last edited by Big Eric on Sat 30 Jun 2018, 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

Oh heck I just realised, yes I do mean Wattisham. :wall: :oops: :down: - Oops!!!!!!!!

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

No worries, see my edited post above.

NAM Updater

Post by NAM Updater »

Not sure whether this helps regarding Phantoms at Waddington, but I'll try!

Back in 2002 ex-23 Squadron Phantom, XV497 was moved by road from RAF Coningsby to RAF Waddington - this was achieved with minimal dismantling and via a carefully selected route across Lincolnshire.

Over a period between 2009 to 2011, this airframe was much discussed as being available for disposal. I helped to undertake a route planning exercise to investigate a similar road move to Winthorpe, in a similar 'un-dismantled' form. In the end the possible acquisition came to nothing; it is however referenced on page 148 of this Museum History book!

Getting back on theme, we hope that XV490 has an enjoyable time at the seaside and we look forward to welcoming it back at Winthorpe sometime next week!
Howard Heeley - Newark Air Museum Trustee
Every museum visit counts!
http://newarkairmuseum.org

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

Sorry to take the topic off subject again but with the talk of Waddington and Phantoms, I remember XV497 at Waddington Airshow 2012 (my last one!), but before that the first of two (inc.2012) I attended I seem to recall seeing an F-4J(UK) in the Hanger at Waddington sorry I can't remember which Year it was.

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

Unknown74 wrote:Sorry to take the topic off subject again but with the talk of Waddington and Phantoms, I remember XV497 at Waddington Airshow 2012 (my last one!), but before that the first of two (inc.2012) I attended I seem to recall seeing an F-4J(UK) in the hangar at Waddington sorry I can't remember which Year it was.

Did you see my reply to your previous question regarding Leuchars?

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

Sorry Big Eric yes I did see your reply. The F-4J(UK) in question really was at Waddington, it had been retired by then and had obviously been stored after leaving Wattisham. I think it was mid '90s.

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

Unknown74 wrote:Sorry Big Eric yes I did see your reply. The F-4J(UK) in question really was at Waddington, it had been retired by then and had obviously been stored after leaving Wattisham. I think it was mid '90s.

So you've got Leuchars confused with Waddington and you're asking about a retired airframe instead of a flying one now? :dizzy:

RAF4EVER

Post by RAF4EVER »

He`s got me confused as well. :dizzy: :dizzy:

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

Sorry for confusing you both, I'll leave it there I think.

I Will look forward to reading what you all say about this amazing Aircraft, especially XV582 "The Amazing Record Breaking Black Mike" and wether it says at Cosford or goes elsewhere.

BPAG

Post by BPAG »

XV582 emerging from Hangar 4 at RAF Cosford for a photoshoot last Sunday. Special guest of honour Michael Pugh-Davis checking out the front seat for a change.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVXFNDAjsv0[/youtube]

BOB.T

Post by BOB.T »

Unknown74 wrote:Sorry to take the topic off subject again but with the talk of Waddington and Phantoms, I remember XV497 at Waddington Airshow 2012 (my last one!), but before that the first of two (inc.2012) I attended I seem to recall seeing an F-4J(UK) in the hangar at Waddington sorry I can't remember which Year it was.

FWIW, I remember there being a Phantom at a Waddington Airshow... I sat in it! :D All I remember was, I didn't fit in it and it was all grey :clown:

GUNMAN

Post by GUNMAN »

I may be way off base here but I thought there was a Phantom at Waddington outside what was at the time the 23 Sqd offices?

Tony

T_J

Post by T_J »

GUNMAN wrote:I may be way off base here but I thought there was a Phantom at Waddington outside what was at the time the 23 Sqd offices?

Tony

Phantom FGR.2 XV497

http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk ... php?id=710