British Phantom Aviation Group (Official Topic)

Re: British Phantom Aviation Group (Official Topic)

Postby Mister G on Tue 02 Jan 2018, 6:24 pm

Possibly digressing slightly but.......

Having just read the Key British Phantoms special a recollection has come to mind.

Many moons ago I recall being told that Spey engined Phantoms had to carry the front two sparrow/skyflash missiles or drill rounds to keep the aircraft within c of g limits due to the smaller size of the RR engines compared to J79s. Was this true or was I being fed a load of porkies?

I've never seen any confirmation or otherwise of this but then it was probably highly classified if our 8 missile fighter could only ever fire 6 of them!
If you've enjoyed this half as much as I have,
then I've enjoyed it twice as much as you!
Mister G

Postby FarnboroJohn on Tue 02 Jan 2018, 6:45 pm

Mister G wrote:Possibly digressing slightly but.......

Having just read the Key British Phantoms special a recollection has come to mind.

Many moons ago I recall being told that Spey engined Phantoms had to carry the front two sparrow/skyflash missiles or drill rounds to keep the aircraft within c of g limits due to the smaller size of the RR engines compared to J79s. Was this true or was I being fed a load of porkies?

I've never seen any confirmation or otherwise of this but then it was probably highly classified if our 8 missile fighter could only ever fire 6 of them!

I don't know but secondary school physics suggests not. To have to keep a turning moment forward of the C of G would suggest the Speys were in fact heavier than the J79s and therefore exerting a greater moment aft of the C of G.

In any case, we all know our Requirements staffs would never stand for ordering a fighter aircraft that would go into battle with a lump of unusable ballast in place of usable weaponry, be it gun or missile! :wink:

John
FarnboroJohn

Postby FGR2 on Tue 02 Jan 2018, 7:00 pm

The Speys were bigger, and a lot of photos I have seen have the drill rounds (or Sparrows) in place.

I don't know how much difference it made, however I do know the display airframes in 1992 had the blue drill/ballast rounds in place, so it must have made some difference.
FGR2

Postby st24 on Wed 03 Jan 2018, 1:10 am

Invariably the display jets from 1970 carried the front 2 drill rounds, initially with the wing tanks but these were dropped (not literally!) from 1976 onwards but the inner pylons were retained, sometimes with the Sidewinder rails. I seem to recall having spoken with various display crews that this was CoG related but more aerodynamically than weight/mass..
That said the Navy jets displayed in many varying configurations; asymmetric pylons, totally clean, centre tank etc and not always with front Sparrows... :dizzy:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!
st24

Postby BPAG on Sun 07 Jan 2018, 7:56 am

XV582 'Black Mike' all clean and back under cover, with a few pals for company.

BPAG

Postby drumm78 on Mon 08 Jan 2018, 5:52 pm

Awesome.best looking phantom in my opinion
drumm78

Postby Tommy on Thu 18 Jan 2018, 5:20 pm

Looks laaarverly. :up: :love:

Good to see the Wessex in the background there, too.
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 18 Jan 2018, 7:31 pm

There I was thinking that either my eyesight's gone crap or you've got x-ray vision......until I realised you weren't on about the last picture published :lol:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Previous

Return to Aviation Waffle