RAF 100 anniversary colour schemes

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
HeyfordDave111

RAF 100 anniversary colour schemes

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Hi everyone,
Yes another RAF 100 thread, but one that might be of interest.

I’m thinking about the ability for squadrons to show their true colours with celebratory designs on aircraft.

For example, what better way to also celebrate the coming end of the Tornado, now we have lost ‘pinkie’ than to replace it with a green / grey camo version, perhaps a new ‘pinkie’ or a couple of painted tails to celebrate the squadrons that have had the mud movers on charge?
How about a Tornado ‘Black Mike’? Or blue versions as per the Phantoms?

Same for the Typhoon, although I can’t off the top of my head suggest squadron colours for some.

Over to you guys, suggest away.

None of it may happen, but there is always a slim chance I suppose.

Cheers
Dave
Got to love Russianhardware

capercaillie

Re: RAF 100 anniversary colour schemes

Post by capercaillie »

The Blue Phantoms were awful and looked like they'd been painted with a stick. The 19sqn one didn't make much sense anyhow and 92 sqn is defunct, which is why the other one wore the scheme. Same goes for 111 sqn being defunct, albeit Black Mike had a superb professional look.

If you're going to paint aircraft it should have some relevance to the unit or aircraft and not because something was painted like that for a completely different reason years ago. When the Tornado retires a part camo, part grey tear scheme with all the previous squadron operators on the massive tail canvas would suffice.

The problem next year is that it is 100 years of the RAF and not just the squadrons, many of which have already had their centenary schemes. So the most likely is a 100 years of RAF scheme on a display Typhoon and some stickers similar to the recent 60 years of Luftwaffe paraded on the German stuff plastered over the rest, with the Reds having a new 100 years fin.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Given the RAFs current trend of aircraft being devoid of any colourful markings, I think anything at all would be better than grey on grey.
It would be just nice if the RAF at least appeared to make an effort for this with maybe some memorable moments or famous names commemorated.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

138EAW

Post by 138EAW »

Not specifically about the RAF 100 schemes.

There has been rumours when I've been at Marham for lectures and tours about the end of the Tornado schemes. It could happen once the RAF consider the Tornado a no longer a deployable asset like the end of the Jaguar force and Harrier.

I should add it's rumours at the moment and would have to be funded. I see can see the mighty TGRF going out with a whimper like many types have with the budget constraints

With the RAF policy of only using twin sticks for special scheme at the moment. Chances of any specials are limited with only 6 T's left. Until as I said above the type is nondeployable .

With Air Cdre Stringer indicating the RAF could start the draw down of anti Daesh ops in the next 4 months I fear the TGRF will be lucky to survive until the suggested end of type in March / April 2019 :sad:
Last edited by 138EAW on Thu 09 Nov 2017, 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

Paul_Reflex

Post by Paul_Reflex »

It would be great to see some retro schemes, Hawk T.2 in silver with yellow bands, Atlas in the Hercules desert scheme or a C-17 in the old transport command scheme with the blue cheat line.

Not likely I guess, but it would be great to see.

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Paul_Reflex wrote:It would be great to see some retro schemes, Hawk T.2 in silver with yellow bands, Atlas in the Hercules desert scheme or a C-17 in the old transport command scheme with the blue cheat line.

Yeah I agree with you there - some good suggestions, maybe have a Tucano in a 1918 green or brown scheme, with big roundels, white stripes, and a red, white, and blue rudder.

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

Not another Black Tornado, been done before. A nice high gloss camo Tornado would be nice.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

jalfrezi wrote:..maybe have a Tucano in a 1918 green or brown scheme, with big roundels, white stripes, and a red, white, and blue rudder.

Nah, it's a trainer so if it's a WW1 scheme it should be a trainer one....

( Nicked from Wiki )
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Brevet Cable wrote:
jalfrezi wrote:..maybe have a Tucano in a 1918 green or brown scheme, with big roundels, white stripes, and a red, white, and blue rudder.

Nah, it's a trainer so if it's a WW1 scheme it should be a trainer one....

( Nicked from Wiki )

A Tucano with wood trim.......nice :sick:

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Paul_Reflex wrote:It would be great to see some retro schemes, Hawk T.2 in silver with yellow bands, Atlas in the Hercules desert scheme or a C-17 in the old transport command scheme with the blue cheat line.

That sort of thing, similar to the US Navy's centenary schemes applied across the fleet would be awesome to see. Like you I don't see it happening, although there should be no harm in painting a few airframes destined for retirement in the short term. Tucano in silver/dayglo and one in yellow, Tornado in Lancaster bomber command colours, another perhaps in coastal command colours, King Air in red/white/grey, Hercules as you mention in light stone/dark earth, dig a Tranche 1 Typhoon out and paint it up in 11sqn silver Lightning scheme. Some imagination would go a long way.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

capercaillie wrote:That sort of thing, similar to the US Navy's centenary schemes applied across the fleet would be awesome to see. Like you I don't see it happening, although there should be no harm in painting a few airframes destined for retirement in the short term. Tucano in silver/dayglo and one in yellow, Tornado in Lancaster bomber command colours, another perhaps in coastal command colours, King Air in red/white/grey, Hercules as you mention in light stone/dark earth, dig a Tranche 1 Typhoon out and paint it up in 11sqn silver Lightning scheme. Some imagination would go a long way.

A full proposal for such a scheme was put forward, with 25 airframes in a series of 'retro' colour schemes, including those such as you suggested. But AFAIK the proposal has not been followed through.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

PeterR wrote:
capercaillie wrote:That sort of thing, similar to the US Navy's centenary schemes applied across the fleet would be awesome to see. Like you I don't see it happening, although there should be no harm in painting a few airframes destined for retirement in the short term. Tucano in silver/dayglo and one in yellow, Tornado in Lancaster bomber command colours, another perhaps in coastal command colours, King Air in red/white/grey, Hercules as you mention in light stone/dark earth, dig a Tranche 1 Typhoon out and paint it up in 11sqn silver Lightning scheme. Some imagination would go a long way.

A full proposal for such a scheme was put forward, with 25 airframes in a series of 'retro' colour schemes, including those such as you suggested. But AFAIK the proposal has not been followed through.

:wall:
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

PeterR wrote:

Well, that is a shame. Because as far as ideas go for an appropriate commemorative project, its about as good as its possible to get.

harkins

Post by harkins »

Wrexham Mackem wrote:Well, that is a shame. Because as far as ideas go for an appropriate commemorative project, its about as good as its possible to get.

This apparent decision to not undertake the most striking celebration of the RAF's 100th birthday sums up my fears for the whole event. I expect that one or two not-so-massed flypasts at a fair old height (which will likely be in low cloud) will be about the sum of the MOD/RAF's efforts. If RIAT is to be the event we're all hoping for this year it will be largely thanks to the US and other foreign air arms and not ours.

Then again, why waste money painting aircraft no one sees. It's already looking quite possible that Scampton air show isn't going to happen, so there's only Fairford and Cosford to an extent where any special paint schemes could be seen by the general public. Suppose the Typhoon might appear at Yeovilton and some seaside shows, but that often gets a lick of paint anyway.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Would like to see the Tornado role demo return (possibly one of the them in the GR1 camo) and a special scheme on the Typhoon with smokewinders (like the Rafale this year) a Raspberry ripple Typhoon maybe?

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

PeterR wrote:A full proposal for such a scheme was put forward, with 25 airframes in a series of 'retro' colour schemes, including those such as you suggested. But AFAIK the proposal has not been followed through.

Politics ?
아직도 숨어있다

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

I'm genuinely surprised that with this government's lurch towards rabid nationalism that the money hasn't been found for this stuff. What better way to stir up the support of the masses...?
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Wissam24 wrote:I'm genuinely surprised that with this government's lurch towards rabid nationalism that the money hasn't been found for this stuff. What better way to stir up the support of the masses...?

According to the rags they've got about £8mil set aside, but it's being/been wasted on stuff like a pitch at the Chelsea Flower Show and cookbooks. :surrender:
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Craig

Post by Craig »

Airshowhammer wrote:Would like to see the Tornado role demo return (possibly one of the them in the GR1 camo) and a special scheme on the Typhoon with smokewinders (like the Rafale this year) a Raspberry ripple Typhoon maybe?

Sadly with the number of Tornados remaining and their heavy operational comittments I'm sorry to say I think the chances of seeing a Tornado at a show doing anything more than a flypast is effectively zero. Sad, but they just can't spare them. A Typhoon special seems plausible, but last I heard was there were no special schemes planned. Bit of a shame really. Agreed a retro flight like the US did a few years ago would have been incredible, even if only on trainer and support aircraft.

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Wissam24 wrote:I'm genuinely surprised that with this government's lurch towards rabid nationalism that the money hasn't been found for this stuff. What better way to stir up the support of the masses...?

I think the change is being recovered from the back of every sofa in Westminster to make a downpayment on brexit costs, but it would seem reasonable to assume that some special schemes could be rolled into maintenance and regular business as usual. At least in part. Of course, the Air Force and the Ministry will make it more complicated than that.

centaurus18

Post by centaurus18 »

At least we still have Peggy, RAF 28(AC) Sqn's 'special' Chinook :)
Mark
'We’re in the stickiest situation, since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.'

Mike

Post by Mike »

Brevet Cable wrote:Nah, it's a trainer so if it's a WW1 scheme it should be a trainer one....

( Nicked from Wiki )

In what way is this a trainer(apart from being basically a heavily modified Tiger Moth)?

It represents 347, an operational BE2a of 2 sqn RFC at the start of WWI.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Because unless I'm mistaken the same insipid yellow colour scheme was also one of those used on the WW1 aircraft used during training......and it's not yet another crappy, boring, faux camouflage scheme which have been done to death in recent years.
As for that particular aircraft......yes, I know, I simply couldn't be arsed searching for something more suitable ( or would you have preferred a proper WW1 BE2 photograph, which would have been black & white so wouldn't have shown the colours )
아직도 숨어있다

Mike

Post by Mike »

Brevet Cable wrote:Because unless I'm mistaken the same insipid yellow colour scheme was also one of those used on the WW1 aircraft used during training......

It's clear dope applied to uncoloured fabric, not 'insipid yellow', and all aircraft were finished that way until they thought it was a good idea to start applying camouflage later in the Great War. Nothing whatever to do with training. :roll:

st24

Post by st24 »

Mike wrote:
Brevet Cable wrote:Because unless I'm mistaken the same insipid yellow colour scheme was also one of those used on the WW1 aircraft used during training......

It's clear dope applied to uncoloured fabric, not 'insipid yellow', and all aircraft were finished that way until they thought it was a good idea to start applying camouflage later in the Great War. Nothing whatever to do with training. :roll:

:grin: I really think you should stick to telling us what's going on in the NoTAM world Brevet, that's much more appreciated....
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!