Someone is in big trouble!

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Seahornet

Re: Someone is in big trouble!

Post by Seahornet »

I'm not the least bit offended by it either. But I'm a bit disappointed that the general consensus on here seems to be that either:

(a) anyone who says they're offended isn't really, and they're just stirring it, or
(b) the opinions of anyone who is offended are less important than of those who think it's funny.

The world and society in general is a bit broader in its feelings and opinions than our slightly 'laddish' little forum, after all!

I will amend my original statement though. It was immature, unprofessional, and irresponsible. And funny.

But I suspect that the official opinion of the USN will only refer to the first three... :whistle:
And as the smart ship grew,
In stature, grace and hue,
In shadowy silent distance grew the iceberg too....

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

Anyone 'offended' by this really shouldn't watch the TdF coverage in the Summer - no mountain stage is without a 60' (or more likely 20m as they are European) 'meat and two veg' painted on the road.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Squaddies have probably been drawing phalli on things ever since they first existed ( squaddies, that is, not phalli )
There are probably photos out there of the ones bored Cav/Tankies drew on Salisbury Plain, Soltau, etc.
Pre- standardised cammo schemes, it used to be a challenge to try & get away with incorporating one when painting vehicles ( and I've seen photos showing that it's also been done on aircraft & helicopters )
Yes it's childish, but it would be worrying if the time ever came when members of the Armed Forces didn't try to get away with doing things like this.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Brevet Cable wrote:Pre- standardised cammo schemes, it used to be a challenge to try & get away with incorporating one when painting vehicles ( and I've seen photos showing that it's also been done on aircraft...)

*ahem* - RIAT this year - no photo-shoppery on that:

ImageRude Nude by Tom Jones, on Flickr

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

Not just squaddies - I call my first witness the Cerne Abbas Giant documented back to the 17th century but maybe older.

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Not just people either, here's the guy who got us slung out of Eden:

Image20160416 (22)_Grass_Snake_mimicking by John Dixon, on Flickr

Nature moves in mysterious ways!

John