UKAR Staff

Re: Thunderbirds Commander "relieved of duty"

Postby Marathon Milkshake on Wed 29 Nov 2017, 11:08 pm

oh dear he must be billy no mates then
Marathon Milkshake

Postby GertrudetheMerciless on Thu 30 Nov 2017, 10:12 am

Ouch. :shock:

No holds barred there. He must have really annoyed someone for them to release that much detail, rather than a fluffy "off to pursue another opportunity" type statement.
GertrudetheMerciless

Postby RAF4EVER on Thu 30 Nov 2017, 10:47 am

Cannot see a link
RAF4EVER

Postby cg_341 on Thu 30 Nov 2017, 10:58 am

If you're on the mobile layout, the social media embeds don't work. Use the full website layout.
cg_341

Postby RAF4EVER on Thu 30 Nov 2017, 11:08 am

Am not on a mobile,using a desktop,refreshed 3 times,still no link
RAF4EVER

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 30 Nov 2017, 11:26 am

It's also on their website, although not so much detail : http://afthunderbirds.com/site/2017/11/29/thunderbirds-commander-relieved-of-duty/
NELLIS AIR FORCE BASE, Nev. – Brig. Gen. Jeannie Leavitt, 57th Wing Commander, relieved Lt. Col. Jason Heard of command of the U.S. Air Force Air Demonstration Squadron upon the completion of the 2017 season effective Nov. 20, 2017.

While Heard led the team through a highly successful show season, Leavitt lost confidence in his leadership and risk management style.

Leavitt determined that new leadership was necessary to ensure the highest levels of pride, precision and professionalism within the team.

“This was an incredibly difficult decision to make, but one that is ultimately in the best interests of the Thunderbird team. I am personally grateful for Jason’s dedication to the 2017 season,” Leavitt said.

Lt. Col. Kevin Walsh, the Thunderbird’s 2016-2017 Operations Officer, has temporarily assumed responsibility of the team until a new commander is selected.

The Thunderbirds are preparing for the 2018 season, training their new pilots, and look forward to inspiring crowds around the country.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Thu 30 Nov 2017, 12:12 pm

cg_341 wrote:If you're on the mobile layout, the social media embeds don't work. Use the full website layout.

Twitter embeds fine on mobile.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Postby Craig on Thu 30 Nov 2017, 4:52 pm

"Any questions" it says? :shock:

Wow, a few I'd think, bet not many you'd get answered. That's unbelievably scathing.
Craig
UKAR Staff

Postby aviodromefriend on Thu 30 Nov 2017, 5:29 pm

Has POTUS-to-be-impeached said something like He-is-fired due to maybe not too impressed at Paris?
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program
aviodromefriend

Postby FarnboroJohn on Thu 30 Nov 2017, 6:46 pm

Well I was very glad he led them up on the Saturday at RIAT, but perhaps not everybody was so enthused by having to display in that weather.

John
FarnboroJohn

Postby tuska2 on Thu 30 Nov 2017, 7:23 pm

That four way crossover at Fairford was proper airshow stardust,if a little to the east of the audience. I'm probably way off, but I wonder if that could have featured in the so called risk management " shortcomings "? Obviously it would have been part of the routine for at least this season, God forbid that an Aerobatic/demonstration team should actually be exciting these days! Fairford 2017 was the best T.Birds performance I'd seen for 40 years! still not quite Frecce
standard in my view, but...
tuska2

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 30 Nov 2017, 7:50 pm

Haven't they sacked one ( or more ) of their OCs in the past, or was that one of the other Teams ?
Just that I recall the "lost confidence in his leadership" phrase being used previously.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby McG on Thu 30 Nov 2017, 7:52 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:Haven't they sacked one ( or more ) of their OCs in the past, or was that one of the other Teams ?
Just that I recall the "lost confidence in his leadership" phrase being used previously.

Blues have sacked at least one former CO.
McG

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 30 Nov 2017, 7:57 pm

:up:
Knew it was one of them, just couldn't remember which.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Berf on Thu 30 Nov 2017, 9:53 pm

One at least had the dignity of stepping down after an error. The Air Force seems to want to kill the career of Heard.
Berf

Postby patrouille2001 on Thu 30 Nov 2017, 9:56 pm

Ex RAF Lakenheath Man. :sad:
patrouille2001

Postby Wrexham Mackem on Thu 30 Nov 2017, 11:11 pm

He's been well and truly hung out to dry there. I'm not sure that was absolutely necessary, far more dignified to keep it behind closed doors if action was needed. Not that there's anything dignified about the management style of today's USA though eh?

I concur that the teams performance at RIAT was the best I've seen of the Thunderbirds outside their country, and less hobbled than previous appearances. They worked very hard, I think they trained every day often more than once, from Tuesday onwards. Shame about the weather on the show days.
its time to kick the tyres and light the fires

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151934326@N08/albums
Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Postby HeyfordDave111 on Sun 03 Dec 2017, 4:47 pm

Even trained over the cad twice on at least one day/
Got to love Russianhardware
HeyfordDave111

Postby aviodromefriend on Sun 03 Dec 2017, 6:25 pm

tuska2 wrote:Fairford 2017 was the best T.Birds performance I'd seen for 40 years! still not quite Frecce
Strange, I rate those as the very worst I've seen from them. They weren't as trademark-close to each other as normal at any time during their displays at this year's RIAT, far from it! I was left wondering how long it would take to form up to start the show even when they were about to land.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program
aviodromefriend

Postby wezgulf3 on Sun 03 Dec 2017, 10:46 pm

So the morning of the Paris flight I had the pleasure of meeting him and one other pilot, at the Starbucks self service machine in the services on the A419, they both were fully dressed in Thunderbirds uniform and were extremely engaging about the day ahead. Very surreal but also a very enjoyable 5 minutes.

Sad he has had to move on!

Wes...
wezgulf3

Postby st24 on Mon 04 Dec 2017, 8:52 am

HeyfordDave111 wrote:Even trained over the cad twice on at least one day/

Over the what now??
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!
st24

Postby st24 on Mon 04 Dec 2017, 8:53 am

aviodromefriend wrote:
tuska2 wrote:Fairford 2017 was the best T.Birds performance I'd seen for 40 years! still not quite Frecce
Strange, I rate those as the very worst I've seen from them. They weren't as trademark-close to each other as normal at any time during their displays at this year's RIAT, far from it! I was left wondering how long it would take to form up to start the show even when they were about to land.

Really??..
st24

Postby HeyfordDave111 on Mon 04 Dec 2017, 9:23 am

st24 wrote:

Over the what now??

the mach loop or LFA7 is also called the cad in some quarters, even though the loop includes other locations around it. I was on the cad at cad east that day and saw 1 'bird' display twice directly overhead....... http://davejonesphotography.zenfolio.com/p221384001 (page 13)
Got to love Russianhardware
HeyfordDave111

Postby st24 on Mon 04 Dec 2017, 1:47 pm

HeyfordDave111 wrote:
st24 wrote:

Over the what now??

the mach loop or LFA7 is also called the cad in some quarters, even though the loop includes other locations around it. I was on the cad at cad east that day and saw 1 'bird' display twice directly overhead....... http://davejonesphotography.zenfolio.com/p221384001 (page 13)

Well in 20 odd years of doing the Mach Loop I've never heard it called "the cad"- Terry Thomas sure but not the loop. Cad is merely a local abbreviation of Cader Iris- the mountain that looms over the valley on the west of the loop. Also, LFA 7 is just about all of Wales, the loop is a tiny part of it. Made a pretty picture looping with smoke on but I'd hardly call it "training"....
st24

Next

Return to Aviation Waffle