Italy retires BR1150 Atlantics

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Brevet Cable

Italy retires BR1150 Atlantics

Post by Brevet Cable »

Don't recall seeing this on here ( Mods, please delete if it's already featured ) or on any other aviation forums I've checked....although it is on ARRSE, which is supposedly an Army forum :

https://theaviationist.com/2017/11/24/the-italian-br-1150-atlantic-has-completed-its-last-flight-ending-an-impressive-45-year-career/
On Nov. 22, 2017, the Italian Air Force retired its last BR-1150 Atlantic with a final flight from Sigonella to Pratica di Mare.

The aircraft MM40118/41-03, the Atlantic in special color scheme that had been unveiled during a ceremony held at Sigonella on Sept. 21, will now be transported and then exhibited in the ItAF Museum in Vigna di Valle. The first of 18 MPA (Maritime Patrol Aircraft) with ASW (Anti-Submarine Warfare) capabilities Atlantic aircraft, the BR-1150 MM40108 was taken on charge by the Aeronautica Militare at Toulouse, France, on Jun. 27, 1972. On the very same day, after a stopever in Nimes, France, the aircraft landed at Sigonella, for the very fist time at 16.25LT. The retirement has come after 45 years and almost 260,000 flying hours (actually 258K) logged by a fleet made of 18 aircraft.
(snip)
The Atlantic will be partially replaced by the P-72, a multirole Maritime Patrol, Electronic Surveillance and C4I (Command, Control, Communications, Computers, and Intelligence) aircraft that shares many sensors and equipments which were developed for the ATR 72ASW developed by Leonardo for the Turkish Navy. However, the Italian P-72A fleet, that will be made of four aircraft, the first of those delivered to the 41° Stormo on Nov. 25, 2016, lacks an ASW (Anti-Sub Warfare) capability and this is the reason why it is considered a “gap filler” until the budget to procure a Long Range MPA with ASW capabilities will become available.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

capercaillie

Re: Italy retires BR1150 Atlantics

Post by capercaillie »

Cheers Brevet, hadn't seen they had retired. I think that is the last of the first generation Atlantics all gone now. :sad:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Wonder what they'll replace them with....P-8s ( if Boeing bribe them enough :whistle: ), P-1s, or will they just buy more of the P-72s and upgrade them with an ASW package ?
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Berf

Post by Berf »