Research project: Plane spotting at London Heathrow Airport

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
FlyingDutchman3

Research project: Plane spotting at London Heathrow Airport

Post by FlyingDutchman3 »

Hi,

My name’s Phil – I’m a master’s student at a university in London. As part of a methodology course that I’m taking I’m conducting a study on the experiences of plane spotters at London Heathrow Airport. Specifically, I’m hoping to explore the following:

• The changing nature and practices of plane spotting (flight apps etc)
• The social and community aspects e.g. enjoying the hobby with others and sharing images and videos online
• The ostracization of plane spotters following an increase in security and surveillance at airports and the closure of observation decks (particularly since 9/11 and anti-Heathrow expansion incidents)

The study will involve me spending time with plane spotters/aviation enthusiasts and visiting plane spotting locations around Heathrow e.g. Myrtle Avenue. As someone who is interested in aviation (although I’ve never been plane spotting), I’m hoping that some members of the plane spotting community at Heathrow might kindly be able to take me under their wing (no pun intended) for a morning/afternoon of spotting. The study is ethnographic e.g. immersion in the culture/activity, and thus interviews and focus groups are not required. The aim is to learn about the culture/activity through participation, observation and informal conversation. Data/information that I collect will be made anonymous.

If anyone is interested in my study (I can provide more info) and would like to share their knowledge, stories and experiences of plane spotting, I’d be delighted to hear from you. I’m happy to meet in person at the plane spotting locations or over tea/coffee somewhere first. Likewise, if there are any plane spotting group meets I’d be keen to join. I live in west London which makes travelling to and from Heathrow easy.

My email is p20@live.co.uk or I can be contacted on here.

Thanks

Phil
Last edited by FlyingDutchman3 on Tue 12 Dec 2017, 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Eric

Re: Research project: Plane spotting at London Heathrow Airp

Post by Big Eric »

Good luck with your study, Phil.

If no-one can help from here, then I'm sure that you'll get some help from the other sites that you've mentioned it on.

:smile:

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

FlyingDutchman3 wrote:Hi,

My name’s Phil – I’m a master’s student at a university in London. As part of a methodology course that I’m taking I’m conducting a study on the experiences of plane spotters at London Heathrow Airport. Specifically, I’m hoping to explore the following:

• The changing nature and practices of plane spotting (flight apps etc)
• The social and community aspects e.g. enjoying the hobby with others and sharing images and videos online
• The ostracization of plane spotters following an increase in security and surveillance at airports and the closure of observation decks (particularly since 9/11 and anti-Heathrow expansion incidents)

The study will involve me spending time with plane spotters and visiting plane spotting locations around Heathrow e.g. Myrtle Avenue. As someone who is interested in aviation (although I’ve never been plane spotting), I’m hoping that some members of the plane spotting community at Heathrow might kindly be able to take me under their wing (no pun intended) for a morning/afternoon of spotting. The study is ethnographic e.g. immersion in the culture/activity, and thus interviews and focus groups are not required. The aim is to learn about the culture/activity through participation, observation and informal conversation. Data/information that I collect will be made anonymous.

If anyone is interested in my study (I can provide more info) and would like to share their knowledge, stories and experiences of plane spotting, I’d be delighted to hear from you. I’m happy to meet in person at the plane spotting locations or over tea/coffee somewhere first. Likewise, if there are any plane spotting group meets I’d be keen to join. I live in west London which makes travelling to and from Heathrow easy.

My email is p20@live.co.uk or I can be contacted on here.

Thanks

Phil

Email sent.

Ledhead27
UKAR Staff
Location: Inverness (and occasionally 20,000ft - if the aircraft can make it that high)

Post by Ledhead27 »

Phil, I've sent you an email :smile:
"PostMan, FuelMan, SpamCan, NoPlan, CivviMan, Dan"

UKAR Party Plane Captain

4 out of 5 baguettes