17th December 1903

17th December 1903

Postby Pen Pusher on Sun 17 Dec 2017, 8:28 am

On the 17th December 1903, American brothers Orville and Wilbur Wright successfully made the first controlled, powered and sustained heavier-than-air human flight and what would we be doing now if they hadn't.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
DfG on Facebook
Pen Pusher

Re: 17th December 1903

Postby FarnboroJohn on Sun 17 Dec 2017, 9:42 am

Pen Pusher wrote:On the 17th December 1903, American brothers Orville and Wilbur Wright successfully made the first controlled, powered and sustained heavier-than-air human flight and what would we be doing now if they hadn't.

Brian

Remembering Santos-Dumont, Deperdussin or one of the others who were working on the problem. Happy to celebrate the Wrights as successful engineers winning the race but not as revolutionaries inventing an entirely new field of endeavour.

John
FarnboroJohn

Postby Glosterbloke on Sun 17 Dec 2017, 9:47 am

I for one would be welcoming our Airship overlords.
Glosterbloke

Postby speedbird2639 on Sun 17 Dec 2017, 10:47 am

Glosterbloke wrote:I for one would be welcoming our Airship overlords.

:lol: lol

I think recent events in Bedfordshire have proved airships weren't the way forwards.

I've always found intriguing that the Smithsonian refused to acknowledge their achievement for 45 years and when they bought the Wright's aircraft the family insisted on including conditions around how it was to be displayed and any accompanying text before the sale could complete.
speedbird2639

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Sun 17 Dec 2017, 11:01 am

:grin:

"It's difficult to tell from this vantage point whether they will consume the captive earthmen, or merely enslave them"
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Postby qwerty on Sun 17 Dec 2017, 12:20 pm

History is full of examples of those who made an invention practical based on prior work by others, often those who had enough funds to keep going when others had to give up. Good to mark the anniversay of the Wrights and delve into other pioneers work.
qwerty

Postby Spiny Norman on Sun 17 Dec 2017, 7:54 pm

speedbird2639 wrote:

:lol: lol

I think recent events in Bedfordshire have proved airships weren't the way forwards.

I've always found intriguing that the Smithsonian refused to acknowledge their achievement for 45 years and when they bought the Wright's aircraft the family insisted on including conditions around how it was to be displayed and any accompanying text before the sale could complete.

The story behind that dispute is best read about here.

https://airandspace.si.edu/exhibitions/wright-brothers/online/icon/feud.cfm

There can be no doubt the Wright brothers were streets ahead of anybody else at the time. When they visited Europe in 1908 they had been called 'bluffers' but that sort of talk soon stopped when everyone saw them flying. Louis Bleriot himself said, "I consider that for us in France and everywhere, a new era in mechanical flight has begun.”
He's done another book. You're joking.
Spiny Norman

Postby effects on Mon 18 Dec 2017, 6:49 pm

Pen Pusher wrote:On the 17th December 1903, American brothers Orville and Wilbur Wright successfully made the first controlled, powered and sustained heavier-than-air human flight and what would we be doing now if they hadn't.

Brian

Hailing Sam Cody, I guess.
Sony DSC-HX400V (Sony DSC-HX300 and DSC-H2 retired)
effects

Return to Aviation Waffle