Pegs sold

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
The Baron

Re: Pegs sold

Post by The Baron »

Agreed, st24. It would be a shame to lose a unique colour scheme. Plenty of other schemes available instead of dressing up another Mk. II as a Mk. I.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

st24 wrote:
Ryan. wrote:There is a Hawker Hurricane survivors page on Facebook that states:

"Although we have known for some time, we can now make in public that the Hangar 11 Hurricane, G-HHII "BE505" has been sold to Hawker Restorations Ltd. She will be moving from North Weald to Elmsett from where she will emerge looking very different to her familiar "Hurribomber" configuration."

Hmmm... Surely the defining thing about pegs is the fact she is a Hurribomber??! As much as I adore the best fighter of WW 2.... I hope we don't get a diluted Battle of Britain - a-like.

Me too, but a 6 Sqn IID would also look very different and be exciting!

John

stuart n

Post by stuart n »

I would love to see her as a IID but the general feeling is that she'll be converted to a two seater. Hawker Restorations have been looking at such a project for some time and the language used "will emerge looking very different" adds weight to that. Time will tell.

Matt35027

Post by Matt35027 »

stuart n wrote:I would love to see her as a IID but the general feeling is that she'll be converted to a two seater. Hawker Restorations have been looking at such a project for some time and the language used "will emerge looking very different" adds weight to that. Time will tell.

They already have an airframe earmarked for the two-seater project and are also looking for an investor to help finance the build.

centaurus18

Post by centaurus18 »

stuart n wrote:I would love to see her as a IID but the general feeling is that she'll be converted to a two seater. Hawker Restorations have been looking at such a project for some time and the language used "will emerge looking very different" adds weight to that. Time will tell.

New colours, perhaps of a foreign country?
Mark
'We’re in the stickiest situation, since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.'

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Yep! Maybe a Mk II in Yugoslavian colour scheme masquerading as a Mk I? Perfect for the Cosford RAF 100 ! :hide:

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Stagger2 wrote:Yep! Maybe a Mk II in Yugoslavian colour scheme masquerading as a Mk I? Perfect for the Cosford RAF 100 ! :hide:

Well I'm hoping they keep it as a IIb because I was keen for it to be displayed as a Hurribomber with replica bombs attached etc! :surrender: But will be on the phone to Hawker Restorations soon to see what they have planned...

Webby74

Post by Webby74 »

Hoping pegs will still be at the north Weald photoshoot in April as advertised

Talldan76
UKAR Staff

Post by Talldan76 »

Webby74 wrote:Hoping pegs will still be at the north Weald photoshoot in April as advertised

Same here, as she was the main attraction for me - however I doubt it :-(

ted633

Post by ted633 »

Confirmed in the April edition of Flypast that BE505 is being converted to a 2 seater, which they say should take about a year to convert.

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

ted633 wrote:Confirmed in the April edition of Flypast that BE505 is being converted to a 2 seater, which they say should take about a year to convert.

What a bloody shame, it was a lovely specimen.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Money talks....
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

What a crime, to butcher and ruin the looks and lines of one of the country's finest warbirds.

A real shame historic aeroplanes aren't listed and protected from this kind of thing in the same way historic buildings are.

Penny for Peter Teichman's thoughts, having had her restored and cared for so well at Hangar 11. I guess he'll be happy with the money, but privately I bet he's not impressed.

From "Pegs" to "Dregs".

st24

Post by st24 »

Crap news. Makes my thought of a battle of Britain painted one sound most welcome. I get it with 2 seatSpits- there are good numbers extant and there were operational ones to make them relevant. To destroy this example, with relatively so few, to create a bastardised mongrel is borderline criminal in my book....
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

A real shame for the worlds only Hurribomber to be tampered with like this.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Amp

Post by Amp »

Perhaps I am alone in thinking this, however, I guess the same applies to the colour schemes that are not liked by hard core armchair observers... If you don't like what the owner does to his machine, get your own and make it how you desire. Be thankful it is up in air and not gathering dust. Also, if you save a few quid you can doubtless enjoy a flight in a Hurricane, an experience most folks could never imagine. The result might be realistic.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Its an interesting off shoot regarding the new demand re "joyrides" etc and one that I dont think many anticipated,

I wonder how it worksd with the authorities re certification? Happy to be corrected but with the Spit, the centre cockpit was moved forward to asssit with centre of gravity issues. Was this the case with the Hurri?

http://hawkerrestorations.co.uk/sale/2- ... hurricane/

What next? 2 seat "No Guts" ?

PLus, surely the rule of "deminishing returns" will kick in. How many people will pay to fly in a Spit, Mustang and a Hurri? For most, surely the experience is so similar that you would not pay again to fly in a very similar type?
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

harkins

Post by harkins »

Amp wrote:Perhaps I am alone in thinking this, however, I guess the same applies to the colour schemes that are not liked by hard core armchair observers... If you don't like what the owner does to his machine, get your own and make it how you desire. Be thankful it is up in air and not gathering dust. Also, if you save a few quid you can doubtless enjoy a flight in a Hurricane, an experience most folks could never imagine. The result might be realistic.

That is a pretty odd argument in my book. So if you're wealthy enough to own and operate something like a warbird, then it's perfectly alright to do absolutely anything to it? If a wealthy person bought the Mona Lisa and scribbled a pair of glasses and a moustache on it, that would be fine and everyone who loves looking at rare and fine art isn't entitled to an opinion and can just sod off because they weren't in a position to buy it themselves?

You could also argue that people who approve of modifying such an aircraft so that they can have a flight in it ought get their own Hurricane and learn to fly it. Then there'd be no need to chop one up.

st24

Post by st24 »

The only good thing I can see about this is it could be a conversion trainer for prospective Hurricane drivers?? Still hate the Idea though...
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

harkins

Post by harkins »

That's a fair point but, would that not require it to be twin stick, not just a back seat for a passenger?

Amp

Post by Amp »

Harkins, I guess that if Mona Lisa ever had a moustache and glasses then I should not argue at the owner modifying the painting in such a fashion. Hawker Restorations have provided several of the flying Hurricanes that we enjoy watching, no doubt this modification will ultimately be welcomed. If there were several converted then I would feel something was up, but my personal opinion is that we have room for at least one. We have several months to debate a colour scheme too. As an aside, are there too many two seat Spitfires? The two seat 109 looks interesting too. As I say, personal opinion, now back to work.

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Amp wrote:Harkins, I guess that if Mona Lisa ever had a moustache and glasses then I should not argue at the owner modifying the painting in such a fashion.

The owner would be free to do so, in owning the painting. That owner would also be completely lacking in taste. There are lots of people with lots of money and no taste. And I fear a two-seat Hurricane is likely to be quite tasteless indeed.

Conversion trainer possibly, but such a thing has never been needed before. I suspect this is all about revenue from passenger rides.

Spitfires are different, there're lots of them around, and a two-seater is a genuine historic derivative.

I hope the two-seater Hurricane is gorgeous I really do. Because the Hurribomber was. But who thinks it genuinely will be? :sick:

Daz

Post by Daz »

And I fear a two-seat Hurricane is likely to be quite tasteless indeed.

Oh I don't know.

Imagehawker-hurricane-artillery-correction-spotter-conversion-soviet-union by Darren Greenwood, on Flickr

ImageA_Two-seat_Hawker_Hurricane_of_Air_Force_of_Iran by Darren Greenwood, on Flickr
Proud Grandson of an Avro Shackleton "boy"

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

2 SEATER HAWKER HURRICANE
An exciting opportunity has arisen to either partner with Hawker Restorations or outright own the only 2 Seater Hurricane in the World. There are many 2 seat Spitfires operating in the UK which not only give a unique flying experience but generates substantial income in order to offset the restoration and running costs. A 2 seater Hawker Hurricane would not only compliment the 2 seater market it would be an absolutely unique addition. For more information please do not hesitate to contact us.

http://hawkerrestorations.co.uk/sale/2- ... hurricane/

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

what the..?

Well, I learn something every day. I didn't know it had been done for operational reasons. Still hideous though.