Typhoon in colour?

Re: Typhoon in colour?

Postby FarnboroJohn on Tue 27 Feb 2018, 4:40 pm

st24 wrote:
FarnboroJohn wrote:
Compares poorly with 100 Lincolns as just part of a 1950 RAF flypast......

John

Not sure as to what flypast you refer but if it was the 1953 Coronation review there were only a "mere" 45 Lincolns in that- a small element of the 572 RAF aircraft that flew over Odiham that day! Numbers for that event are just staggering- 240 Meteors for instance, 32 Chipmunks, 60 Sabres including 36 from the RCAF, 48 Canberras, 61 Vampires and Venoms with 12from the RAAF.... 300 odd on static so nigh on 870 aircraft involved! More recent flypasts have paled into insignificance - 138 in total at the Finningley '77 Silver Jubilee, 62 in the' 08 QBF, 90 in the RIAT '08 RAF 90th, and 78 in the Diamond Jubilee QBF.
I'm sure they'll do alright....


I wish I was as confident.....

The 1950 RAF air display was held at Farnborough and included among other things a re-enactment of the Amiens Prison raid, air support to the Army (with rockets fired onto the airfield!), a demonstration of a Dakota snatching a Hadrian glider off the ground from in the air, and a flypast that according to the programme included Lincolns from 7, 9, 12, 15, 49, 50, 61, 83, 90, 97, 100, 101, 131, 138 and 214 Squadrons of Bomber Command: it was elsewhere long ago that I saw the figure of 100 Lincolns mentioned. There were also Superfortresses from the USAF.

The programme is viewable at : https://www.scribd.com/document/2923250 ... rogram-pdf

Interesting reading.

John
FarnboroJohn


Re: Typhoon in colour?

Postby st24 on Wed 28 Feb 2018, 10:15 pm

FarnboroJohn wrote:
st24 wrote:
FarnboroJohn wrote:
Compares poorly with 100 Lincolns as just part of a 1950 RAF flypast......

John

Not sure as to what flypast you refer but if it was the 1953 Coronation review there were only a "mere" 45 Lincolns in that- a small element of the 572 RAF aircraft that flew over Odiham that day! Numbers for that event are just staggering- 240 Meteors for instance, 32 Chipmunks, 60 Sabres including 36 from the RCAF, 48 Canberras, 61 Vampires and Venoms with 12from the RAAF.... 300 odd on static so nigh on 870 aircraft involved! More recent flypasts have paled into insignificance - 138 in total at the Finningley '77 Silver Jubilee, 62 in the' 08 QBF, 90 in the RIAT '08 RAF 90th, and 78 in the Diamond Jubilee QBF.
I'm sure they'll do alright....


I wish I was as confident.....

The 1950 RAF air display was held at Farnborough and included among other things a re-enactment of the Amiens Prison raid, air support to the Army (with rockets fired onto the airfield!), a demonstration of a Dakota snatching a Hadrian glider off the ground from in the air, and a flypast that according to the programme included Lincolns from 7, 9, 12, 15, 49, 50, 61, 83, 90, 97, 100, 101, 131, 138 and 214 Squadrons of Bomber Command: it was elsewhere long ago that I saw the figure of 100 Lincolns mentioned. There were also Superfortresses from the USAF.

The programme is viewable at : https://www.scribd.com/document/2923250 ... rogram-pdf

Interesting reading.

John


Wow that is some interesting reading!! What a show, 5 years after the war in an effectively bankrupt country. Amazing to think of the Venom and Canberra as brand new types and Mosquitos and Spitfires still in Squadron service. Also the Bristol advert with its latest type - the Brigand!! Great find. :up:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!
User avatar
st24

Re: Typhoon in colour?

Postby boff180 on Wed 28 Mar 2018, 11:29 am

Quite possibly the worst special tail in the history of special tails.

User avatar
boff180
UKAR Staff

Re: Typhoon in colour?

Postby starbuck on Wed 28 Mar 2018, 11:34 am

Looks like they lifted it off a Tornado and cut it to fit.
starbuck

Re: Typhoon in colour?

Postby Paul_Reflex on Wed 28 Mar 2018, 11:36 am

boff180 wrote:Quite possibly the worst special tail in the history of special tails.



Any links?

Edit: on my mobile browser the Tweet wasn't showing.
Last edited by Paul_Reflex on Wed 28 Mar 2018, 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Paul_Reflex

Re: Typhoon in colour?

Postby Skyflash on Wed 28 Mar 2018, 11:38 am

boff180 wrote:Quite possibly the worst special tail in the history of special tails.



Dear God! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Was that really the best they could come up with?
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...
User avatar
Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Re: Typhoon in colour?

Postby f4phixeruk on Wed 28 Mar 2018, 11:38 am

Is that it ?? Surely we arent that skint :sad: :sad: :oops: :oops: :sad: :sad:
If you eat high calorie foods with a Diet Coke, the drink cancels the calories out!
User avatar
f4phixeruk

Re: Typhoon in colour?

Postby Wrexham Mackem on Wed 28 Mar 2018, 11:44 am

Good grief, that is absolutely crap.

I won't even bother trying to elaborate, after all a picture paints a thousand words.
its time to kick the tyres and light the fires

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151934326@N08/albums
User avatar
Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Re: Typhoon in colour?

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Wed 28 Mar 2018, 11:50 am

Wrexham Mackem wrote:Good grief, that is absolutely crap.

I won't even bother trying to elaborate, after all a picture paints a thousand words.


On the contrary, it sums up EXACTLY where the RAF is in 2018: Small, insignificant and pitiful and with an "it'll do" attitude to showing themselves off to the public.

Compare that to what other air forces routinely do to mark anniversaries and milestones far less significant. I'm thinking of Greek and German Phantom retirement schemes, even the special tail on a Pakistani Hercules.

If you're too lazy or strapped for cash to do it right, probably best not to bother, as the result is just the embarrassing half-arsedness pictured above.
Dan O'Hagan

Re: Typhoon in colour?

Postby Skyflash on Wed 28 Mar 2018, 11:51 am

It's perhaps a little early to be putting the boot in, but I'm starting to get the distinct feeling that the 'RAF 100' stuff might be something of a damp squib... :sad:
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...
User avatar
Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Re: Typhoon in colour?

Postby HeyfordDave111 on Wed 28 Mar 2018, 11:52 am

Cant be that skint, it must have costs thousands to send that BBC reporter woman in the back seat of a Tonka round the cad!
She doesn't like speed brakes!

2mins 30 seconds of video on BBC website this morning (sorry i cannot do the link)
Got to love Russianhardware
HeyfordDave111

Re: Typhoon in colour?

Postby harkins on Wed 28 Mar 2018, 11:53 am

I really honestly can't believe that, that... that effort is it. Surely they will produce a fully painted Typhoon for the centenary season. On the same Twitter feed there is a tweet from the Typhoon display pilot with a photo of the display helmet and it maybe, hopefully suggests that there is a scheme in mind.

Regardless, I'm really not sure why they even bothered doing that thing above. It's just rubbing it in that they picked such a terribly bland, safe, wrong coloured corporate RAF100 logo in the first place.
Last edited by harkins on Wed 28 Mar 2018, 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
harkins

Re: Typhoon in colour?

Postby HeyfordDave111 on Wed 28 Mar 2018, 11:54 am

As for the Typhoon the Typhoon tail.
Yeah, you want to see how to do it...... look at the German Typhoons guys, this is rubbish!
Got to love Russianhardware
HeyfordDave111

Re: Typhoon in colour?

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Wed 28 Mar 2018, 11:54 am

Skyflash wrote:It's perhaps a little early to be putting the boot in, but I'm starting to get the distinct feeling that the 'RAF 100' stuff might be something of a damp squib... :sad:

I've not seen or heard anything about it that excites so far.

That would barely count as a "special" scheme in any other year, let alone the RAF's 100th. Dismal.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"
User avatar
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Re: Typhoon in colour?

Postby Wrexham Mackem on Wed 28 Mar 2018, 11:55 am

Dan O'Hagan wrote:
Wrexham Mackem wrote:Good grief, that is absolutely crap.

I won't even bother trying to elaborate, after all a picture paints a thousand words.


On the contrary, it sums up EXACTLY where the RAF is in 2018: Small, insignificant and pitiful and with an "it'll do" attitude to showing themselves off to the public.

Compare that to what other air forces routinely do to mark anniversaries and milestones far less significant. I'm thinking of Greek and German Phantom retirement schemes, even the special tail on a Pakistani Hercules.

If you're too lazy or strapped for cash to do it right, probably best not to bother, as the result is just the embarrassing half-arsedness pictured above.


You misunderstand me Dan, I agree with you. Its a pathetic effort. Even if the best they could do was a decal, my 11 year olds could design a better one than that.

Skyflash wrote:It's perhaps a little early to be putting the boot in, but I'm starting to get the distinct feeling that the 'RAF 100' stuff might be something of a damp squib... :sad:


I share your worries. If this is an indicator of what they believe to be the quality required, it doesn't bode well!
its time to kick the tyres and light the fires

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151934326@N08/albums
User avatar
Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Re: Typhoon in colour?

Postby Airwolfhound on Wed 28 Mar 2018, 11:56 am

Being a UK taxpayer, I want my money back ! :sick:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)
Airwolfhound

Re: Typhoon in colour?

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Wed 28 Mar 2018, 11:57 am

Still, the pitch at the Chelsea Flower show will surely prove to be £300K well spent...
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"
User avatar
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Re: Typhoon in colour?

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Wed 28 Mar 2018, 11:57 am

Airwolfhound wrote:Being a UK taxpayer, I want my money back ! :sick:


They're phasing out the 1p and 2p coins, aren't they?

As Boff says, the worst "special" tail in history.
Dan O'Hagan

Re: Typhoon in colour?

Postby Skyflash on Wed 28 Mar 2018, 12:02 pm

LN Strike Eagle wrote:Still, the pitch at the Chelsea Flower show will surely prove to be £300K well spent...


Really??? Oh my. :lmao:

As opposed to, say, painting up some of their actual aircraft... :facepalm:
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...
User avatar
Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Re: Typhoon in colour?

Postby harkins on Wed 28 Mar 2018, 12:02 pm

To even claim that is a 'special tail' is probably a breach of the Trade Descriptions Act by somebody.
User avatar
harkins

Re: Typhoon in colour?

Postby Ryan. on Wed 28 Mar 2018, 12:02 pm

It's laughably bad.
Ryan.

Re: Typhoon in colour?

Postby capercaillie on Wed 28 Mar 2018, 12:05 pm

Now I'm sure you're all being a little too hasty here. this is surely just one of many unfortunate aircraft that will get slapped with this silly coloured RAF 100 logo, across the entire fleet as part of the celebrations, a bit like the even less adventurous Luftwaffe 60 monochromatic logos of a couple of years ago that we saw on everything from A400Ms to Tornados. :sleepy:

I'm sure they have taken my vision of a light blue Typhoon with red white and blue stripes and flashes to heart and it will emerge from the paintshop some time in late April and we will all dribble, holler and celebrate the vision suitably at that time. Dano may even faint at the sight of a proper RAF scheme. :shock:

Patience my friends. :biggrin:
"The surrogate voice of st24"
User avatar
capercaillie

Re: Typhoon in colour?

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Wed 28 Mar 2018, 12:07 pm

Imagine, with 100 years of RAF history to play with in terms of imagery, you decide "nah, balls to all that, a naff corporate one-size-fits-all logo'll do us".

But this is the same air force who adopted a corporate logo, copyrighted the roundel and tried to flog these...

Image
Dan O'Hagan

Re: Typhoon in colour?

Postby verreli on Wed 28 Mar 2018, 12:10 pm

That's one typhoon I hope I don't see.
verreli

PreviousNext

Return to Aviation Waffle

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: captchaos, clearstone, D90Man, jasonT1981, JetMan, pbeardmore, SuffolkBlue and 20 guests