Typhoon in colour?

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
vulcan558

Re: Typhoon in colour?

Post by vulcan558 »

HeyfordDave111 wrote:Stupid question but with everyone on here there must be a good knowledge base available......

I wonder how much it would cost to vinyl a typhoon? Anyone?

Costs around £2500 - £5000 dependinvg on design to wrap a Bus.

Whats on that Typhoon tail cost about £300.
Thou I would guess with it beiing done now by private companies etc it will be stick a few noughts on the end.

Ewart

Post by Ewart »

cg_341 wrote:Just found this whilst discussing the subject elsewhere. Hadn't seen all the schemes in one place before: http://www.public.navy.mil/airfor/cente ... roject.pdf

More aircraft there than the entire of the RAF put together.

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:
cg_341 wrote:Just found this whilst discussing the subject elsewhere. Hadn't seen all the schemes in one place before: http://www.public.navy.mil/airfor/cente ... roject.pdf

Stunning. Just shows what can be achieved with a little thought, and a lot of pride in your military. The RAF even managed to screw up the colours and fonts of the camo Typhoon they flew a couple of summers ago.

As opposed to the RAF, that have shown what they've achieved with little thought....

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

I remember a cheesed-off pilot flying a Hunter under Tower Bridge to protest against the lack of celebrations for the 50th anniversary. That sort of behaviour should not be condoned, of course, but you have to admire the spirit.

I think the RAF are like most public organisations nowadays in that they're scared of a few bad headlines and so will be terrified of being seen "wasting taxpayers' money" on anything.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Ewart wrote:

Not even close to true.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

How embarrassing when looking at, say, the Norwegian Vampires, and BAE, that others are doing more to commit to some historic RAF colours to celebrate the RAF's birthday than the RAF are themselves.

Also, guys.... y..you don't think the RAF would be stupid enough to put that logo on the BBMF fleet, would they? :ghost:

Spiny Norman wrote:I think the RAF are ... terrified of being seen "wasting taxpayers' money" on anything.

And, by sheer coincidence of inadequacy are indeed wasting taxpayers' money by a half-arsed commitment to the "celebrations" and commissioning a dull and uninspiring corporate buzz-logo that'll look great on the posters that flank the private black tie back-patting banquets, but crap everywhere else.

GertrudetheMerciless

Post by GertrudetheMerciless »

I still can’t believe the idiots who’ve let a company come up with the “RAF 100” corporate branding the red, the colour associated with the Army!

Tuckat

Post by Tuckat »

tankbuster81 wrote:
lozza wrote:
capercaillie wrote:
tankbuster81 wrote:That's now a Typhoon and Tucano i've seen with that god awful hashed design. Still on the plus side it's good business for Vistaprint. :whistle:

And the poor old Victor at Marham has been tarnished with it as well. What its done wrong to deserve that treatment I have no idea. :sad:

Add a Chinook to it as well :sad: :sad: :sad:

A Helmet painter, and now stickers applied to Choppers! :wink:

:lmao: Outstanding!

Surely the whole point of a 100th anniversary is that its a massive celebration to be shared and an opportunity for a bit of chest puffing?

This is, at best, incredibly understated, at worst its an embarrasing indictment of the way the current senior RAF powers that be view this unique milestone in our aviation history.
Blood, Tears and Folly

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

Other than having it 'greyscale' its difficult to see how they could have done less.

Ewart

Post by Ewart »

Wissam24 wrote:
Ewart wrote:

Not even close to true.

I feel my sarcasm/youthful wit was lost over the power of the internet. :smile:

harkins

Post by harkins »

Wissam24 wrote:Don't worry, found it. I wouldn't bank on it being used on an aircraft design given that the designer and painter is a dedicated helmet painter.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/TyphoonDisplay/status/978554656782802944[/tweet]

I'd still be shocked if there is no special scheme for this year's centenary. If that really is it, then someone at the RAF needs the chop.

My thinking with the design is that generally the display pilot gets headgear that matches the scheme of the aircraft and it's quite possible that Steve Hatt was shown the design and asked to paint the pilots flying hat in line with that. It does appear to feature a stylized eagle (although I'm no ornithologist). Like you, despite what they've done to ZK318 I am still confident that there will be a special scheme.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Aviation94

Post by Aviation94 »

Pen Pusher wrote:https://www.rafmuseumshop.com/raf100.html?product_list_limit=30

Brian

Huh?! £16.50 for this?

Canon 650d, Sigma 70-300mm, Kenko 1.4 dgx mc4 tc

Youtube: http://ow.ly/zhAed

harkins

Post by harkins »

Pen Pusher wrote:https://www.rafmuseumshop.com/raf100.html?product_list_limit=30

Brian

Interesting Brian. A yellow and turquoise Typhoon?

That t-shirt; who on earth would part with hard earned cash for that? I'm not really into logo'd t-shirts and the like but, for an extra 50p the 100th anniversary design is going to outsell that despicable logo hands down.

It's all about the cookbook for me!

st24

Post by st24 »

harkins wrote:
Wissam24 wrote:Don't worry, found it. I wouldn't bank on it being used on an aircraft design given that the designer and painter is a dedicated helmet painter.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/TyphoonDisplay/status/978554656782802944[/tweet]

I'd still be shocked if there is no special scheme for this year's centenary. If that really is it, then someone at the RAF needs the chop.

My thinking with the design is that generally the display pilot gets headgear that matches the scheme of the aircraft and it's quite possible that Steve Hatt was shown the design and asked to paint the pilots flying hat in line with that. It does appear to feature a stylized eagle (although I'm no ornithologist). Like you, despite what they've done to ZK318 I am still confident that there will be a special scheme.

The helmet bird of prey seems to be a nod to the grotesque, stylized head emblem on the anniversary jet from 2015 (3years already??! :shock:) I say that as 29's unit badge is an Eagle attacking a Buzzard, not a singular falcon/Hawk head that seems to have been in vogue... :confused:
That said I'd take it over the sticker.
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Am I reading this wrongly?

An RAF red 100th sticker that looks like a nursery school winner competition AND a much more stylised , and in my opinion, preferable, roundel in green and yellow?

Confused. :hypno:
Got to love Russianhardware

toom317
UKAR Supporter

Post by toom317 »

I get the impression that RAF logo has been photoshopped onto a pic of a plain white T-shirt, and WTF is that green/yellow/blue roundel about. Has the RAF changed from a military fighting force, to a corporate supplier of military aviation services?
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.

McG

Post by McG »

https://t.co/1fnmC2glHP

The cost of design consultants probably costs more than what it would be to paint an aircraft.

Also, check what the design brief was.
Last edited by McG on Thu 29 Mar 2018, 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

Has the RAF changed from a military fighting force, to a corporate supplier of military aviation services?

Maybe they have decided to take a leaf out of the likes of Ferrari who make more money selling mobile phone covers and other Chinese made tat with their logo on it than they do selling sports cars.

Its all about the 'brand' these days. What sits behind that brand is largely irrelevant (as long as no one finds out!).

disgruntled

Post by disgruntled »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:Imagine, with 100 years of RAF history to play with in terms of imagery, you decide "nah, balls to all that, a naff corporate one-size-fits-all logo'll do us".

But this is the same air force who adopted a corporate logo, copyrighted the roundel and tried to flog these...

No Dan.

Wrong.

Again.

This will NOT be the RAF. It will be down to MoD corporate governance and intellectual property rights. For Heaven's sake stop criticising the service and aim your overly dramatic "red top newspaper" vitriol at those who deserve it - the Civil Servants that advised the Blair/Brown government that the people should pay to have contact with their Armed Forces. The serving personnel and Chiefs of Staff have very little they can do to undo the madness that was inflicted upon them.

And if you want to know how I can be so sure I will happily accept a PM. But in the meantime please stop berating the RAF and the other services for things which they simply cannot control.

Jakesplanes

Post by Jakesplanes »

At the bottom of every decision that makes life less colourful, varied and joyful, you will find an accountant.
IG profile "jakesplanes"

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Jakesplanes wrote:At the bottom of every decision that makes life less colourful, varied and joyful, you will find an accountant.

And here I am, patron of special colour schemes :wave: :king: Funny how the poor old accountant always gets the blame, yet one of their roles is to tell their client to get as much as you can for as little tax as you can get away with, the polar opposite of what we have here in fact. :whistle:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

verreli

Post by verreli »

st24 wrote:The helmet bird of prey seems to be a nod to the grotesque, stylized head emblem on the anniversary jet from 2015

You're right. It's the same design.

Mad Dan

Post by Mad Dan »

I don't for one moment think it will make one iota of difference but I am given to understand that the perpetrators are Air Media at High Wycombe. I am sure they will be delighted to receive constructive feedback regarding this special marking to commemorate 100 years of the Royal Air Force...
I am not a loony... I used to be, but I think I am better now...

toom317
UKAR Supporter

Post by toom317 »

Mad Dan wrote:... I am sure they will be delighted to receive constructive feedback regarding this special marking to commemorate 100 years of the Royal Air Force...

It's a bit late for that now.
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.