Typhoon in colour?

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
FarnboroJohn

Re: Typhoon in colour?

Post by FarnboroJohn »

st24 wrote:
FarnboroJohn wrote:
Compares poorly with 100 Lincolns as just part of a 1950 RAF flypast......

John

Not sure as to what flypast you refer but if it was the 1953 Coronation review there were only a "mere" 45 Lincolns in that- a small element of the 572 RAF aircraft that flew over Odiham that day! Numbers for that event are just staggering- 240 Meteors for instance, 32 Chipmunks, 60 Sabres including 36 from the RCAF, 48 Canberras, 61 Vampires and Venoms with 12from the RAAF.... 300 odd on static so nigh on 870 aircraft involved! More recent flypasts have paled into insignificance - 138 in total at the Finningley '77 Silver Jubilee, 62 in the' 08 QBF, 90 in the RIAT '08 RAF 90th, and 78 in the Diamond Jubilee QBF.
I'm sure they'll do alright....

I wish I was as confident.....

The 1950 RAF air display was held at Farnborough and included among other things a re-enactment of the Amiens Prison raid, air support to the Army (with rockets fired onto the airfield!), a demonstration of a Dakota snatching a Hadrian glider off the ground from in the air, and a flypast that according to the programme included Lincolns from 7, 9, 12, 15, 49, 50, 61, 83, 90, 97, 100, 101, 131, 138 and 214 Squadrons of Bomber Command: it was elsewhere long ago that I saw the figure of 100 Lincolns mentioned. There were also Superfortresses from the USAF.

The programme is viewable at : https://www.scribd.com/document/2923250 ... rogram-pdf

Interesting reading.

John

methley

Post by methley »

st24

Post by st24 »

FarnboroJohn wrote:
st24 wrote:
FarnboroJohn wrote:
Compares poorly with 100 Lincolns as just part of a 1950 RAF flypast......

John

Not sure as to what flypast you refer but if it was the 1953 Coronation review there were only a "mere" 45 Lincolns in that- a small element of the 572 RAF aircraft that flew over Odiham that day! Numbers for that event are just staggering- 240 Meteors for instance, 32 Chipmunks, 60 Sabres including 36 from the RCAF, 48 Canberras, 61 Vampires and Venoms with 12from the RAAF.... 300 odd on static so nigh on 870 aircraft involved! More recent flypasts have paled into insignificance - 138 in total at the Finningley '77 Silver Jubilee, 62 in the' 08 QBF, 90 in the RIAT '08 RAF 90th, and 78 in the Diamond Jubilee QBF.
I'm sure they'll do alright....

I wish I was as confident.....

The 1950 RAF air display was held at Farnborough and included among other things a re-enactment of the Amiens Prison raid, air support to the Army (with rockets fired onto the airfield!), a demonstration of a Dakota snatching a Hadrian glider off the ground from in the air, and a flypast that according to the programme included Lincolns from 7, 9, 12, 15, 49, 50, 61, 83, 90, 97, 100, 101, 131, 138 and 214 Squadrons of Bomber Command: it was elsewhere long ago that I saw the figure of 100 Lincolns mentioned. There were also Superfortresses from the USAF.

The programme is viewable at : https://www.scribd.com/document/2923250 ... rogram-pdf

Interesting reading.

John

Wow that is some interesting reading!! What a show, 5 years after the war in an effectively bankrupt country. Amazing to think of the Venom and Canberra as brand new types and Mosquitos and Spitfires still in Squadron service. Also the Bristol advert with its latest type - the Brigand!! Great find. :up:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Quite possibly the worst special tail in the history of special tails.

[tweet]http://twitter.com/purplejaguarr/status/978944971406487553[/tweet]

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

Looks like they lifted it off a Tornado and cut it to fit.

Paul_Reflex

Post by Paul_Reflex »

boff180 wrote:Quite possibly the worst special tail in the history of special tails.

Any links?

Edit: on my mobile browser the Tweet wasn't showing.
Last edited by Paul_Reflex on Wed 28 Mar 2018, 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

boff180 wrote:Quite possibly the worst special tail in the history of special tails.

Dear God! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Was that really the best they could come up with?
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

f4phixeruk

Post by f4phixeruk »

Is that it ?? Surely we arent that skint :sad: :sad: :oops: :oops: :sad: :sad:
If you eat high calorie foods with a Diet Coke, the drink cancels the calories out!

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Good grief, that is absolutely crap.

I won't even bother trying to elaborate, after all a picture paints a thousand words.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Wrexham Mackem wrote:Good grief, that is absolutely crap.

I won't even bother trying to elaborate, after all a picture paints a thousand words.

On the contrary, it sums up EXACTLY where the RAF is in 2018: Small, insignificant and pitiful and with an "it'll do" attitude to showing themselves off to the public.

Compare that to what other air forces routinely do to mark anniversaries and milestones far less significant. I'm thinking of Greek and German Phantom retirement schemes, even the special tail on a Pakistani Hercules.

If you're too lazy or strapped for cash to do it right, probably best not to bother, as the result is just the embarrassing half-arsedness pictured above.

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

It's perhaps a little early to be putting the boot in, but I'm starting to get the distinct feeling that the 'RAF 100' stuff might be something of a damp squib... :sad:
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Cant be that skint, it must have costs thousands to send that BBC reporter woman in the back seat of a Tonka round the cad!
She doesn't like speed brakes!

2mins 30 seconds of video on BBC website this morning (sorry i cannot do the link)
Got to love Russianhardware

harkins

Post by harkins »

I really honestly can't believe that, that... that effort is it. Surely they will produce a fully painted Typhoon for the centenary season. On the same Twitter feed there is a tweet from the Typhoon display pilot with a photo of the display helmet and it maybe, hopefully suggests that there is a scheme in mind.

Regardless, I'm really not sure why they even bothered doing that thing above. It's just rubbing it in that they picked such a terribly bland, safe, wrong coloured corporate RAF100 logo in the first place.
Last edited by harkins on Wed 28 Mar 2018, 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

As for the Typhoon the Typhoon tail.
Yeah, you want to see how to do it...... look at the German Typhoons guys, this is rubbish!
Got to love Russianhardware

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Skyflash wrote:It's perhaps a little early to be putting the boot in, but I'm starting to get the distinct feeling that the 'RAF 100' stuff might be something of a damp squib... :sad:

I've not seen or heard anything about it that excites so far.

That would barely count as a "special" scheme in any other year, let alone the RAF's 100th. Dismal.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:
Wrexham Mackem wrote:Good grief, that is absolutely crap.

On the contrary, it sums up EXACTLY where the RAF is in 2018: Small, insignificant and pitiful and with an "it'll do" attitude to showing themselves off to the public.

Compare that to what other air forces routinely do to mark anniversaries and milestones far less significant. I'm thinking of Greek and German Phantom retirement schemes, even the special tail on a Pakistani Hercules.

If you're too lazy or strapped for cash to do it right, probably best not to bother, as the result is just the embarrassing half-arsedness pictured above.

You misunderstand me Dan, I agree with you. Its a pathetic effort. Even if the best they could do was a decal, my 11 year olds could design a better one than that.

Skyflash wrote:It's perhaps a little early to be putting the boot in, but I'm starting to get the distinct feeling that the 'RAF 100' stuff might be something of a damp squib... :sad:

I share your worries. If this is an indicator of what they believe to be the quality required, it doesn't bode well!

Airwolfhound

Post by Airwolfhound »

Being a UK taxpayer, I want my money back ! :sick:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Still, the pitch at the Chelsea Flower show will surely prove to be £300K well spent...
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Airwolfhound wrote:Being a UK taxpayer, I want my money back ! :sick:

They're phasing out the 1p and 2p coins, aren't they?

As Boff says, the worst "special" tail in history.

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:Still, the pitch at the Chelsea Flower show will surely prove to be £300K well spent...

Really??? Oh my. :lmao:

As opposed to, say, painting up some of their actual aircraft... :facepalm:

harkins

Post by harkins »

To even claim that is a 'special tail' is probably a breach of the Trade Descriptions Act by somebody.

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

It's laughably bad.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Now I'm sure you're all being a little too hasty here. this is surely just one of many unfortunate aircraft that will get slapped with this silly coloured RAF 100 logo, across the entire fleet as part of the celebrations, a bit like the even less adventurous Luftwaffe 60 monochromatic logos of a couple of years ago that we saw on everything from A400Ms to Tornados. :sleepy:

I'm sure they have taken my vision of a light blue Typhoon with red white and blue stripes and flashes to heart and it will emerge from the paintshop some time in late April and we will all dribble, holler and celebrate the vision suitably at that time. Dano may even faint at the sight of a proper RAF scheme. :shock:

Patience my friends. :biggrin:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Imagine, with 100 years of RAF history to play with in terms of imagery, you decide "nah, balls to all that, a naff corporate one-size-fits-all logo'll do us".

But this is the same air force who adopted a corporate logo, copyrighted the roundel and tried to flog these...

verreli

Post by verreli »

That's one typhoon I hope I don't see.