Wheres Dan O

Wheres Dan O

Postby rob68 on Mon 05 Feb 2018, 10:29 pm

Anyone else notice no sign of Dan O' since mid January, is he on holiday? ;)
rob68

Re: Wheres Dan O

Postby CJS on Mon 05 Feb 2018, 10:39 pm

I don't imagine the whereabouts of any given UKAR member is really any of our business is it? What an odd thread...
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?
CJS

Postby rob68 on Mon 05 Feb 2018, 10:41 pm

just noticed he wasn't on here that is all, nothing odd meant as he is/was a regular
rob68

Postby Tomahawk on Mon 05 Feb 2018, 10:57 pm

CJS wrote:any given UKAR member....

he is so much more than that
Tomahawk

Postby Harvo266 on Mon 05 Feb 2018, 11:25 pm

I’m sure he’ll pipe up the second the Reds/Typhoon/BBMF do anything wrong.....
Nikon D500
Harvo266

Postby ted633 on Tue 06 Feb 2018, 12:41 am

Probably too busy with football related journalism to pay us a visit.
2018 - Season Premier, Fly Navy, Cosford, Military Pageant, Yeovilton, RIAT, BHFoF, Dunsfold
ted633

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 06 Feb 2018, 5:41 am

Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Tue 06 Feb 2018, 1:37 pm

How nice of you to miss me.

Nothing sinister, just extremely busy and utterly bored with the state of the hobby and of UKAR. Modern military bores the hell out of me, the photographic and discussion standards have never been lower and the hottest subject in Off Topic is "who's died lately?"

The place needs a major reboot to remain interesting and relevant in the face of Twitter and Facebook, I thought that much was obvious? Other regular posters I speak to feel the same.

Perhaps when the proper aeroplanes are out of their winter hibernation, and airshows regain their sanity once a decisive outcome is reached over Shoreham I might get the mojo back.
Dan O'Hagan

Postby harkins on Tue 06 Feb 2018, 2:49 pm

Dan O'Hagan wrote:The place needs a major reboot to remain interesting and relevant in the face of Twitter and Facebook, I thought that much was obvious? Other regular posters I speak to feel the same.

Hi Dan. I'm in no way trying to disagree or anything, but I am curious as to what Twitter and Facebook do that makes them relevant and interesting, particularly in relevance the UK's airshow scene (or what's left of it).

Someone else complained recently about the photography standards on here nowadays, so I assume all the talented photographers only display their work on Facebook and Twitter now? I suppose that they get a lot more people looking at their images on those platforms, but presumably they also get a lot more Daily Mail comments section-esque thoughts typed below them.
harkins

Postby jalfrezi on Tue 06 Feb 2018, 3:10 pm

I'm not sure social media is in any way a UKAR replacement for quality photography, don't get me wrong there are some good shots but also a huge amount of chaff, a fair amount of which generates a lot of back slapping among their fellow clique.

I don't think social media is a great forum for discussion either - certainly not for aviation, as it's primarily used in a self promoting manner - i.e. 'look at me, praise me!' Don't get me wrong it's a good source of news, I just don't see it as a replacement for UKAR or FC for serious discussion.

Maybe I'm just doing it wrong..... :joystick:
jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Postby CJS on Tue 06 Feb 2018, 5:08 pm

Dan O'Hagan wrote:How nice of you to miss me.

Nothing sinister, just extremely busy and utterly bored with the state of the hobby and of UKAR. Modern military bores the hell out of me, the photographic and discussion standards have never been lower and the hottest subject in Off Topic is "who's died lately?"

The place needs a major reboot to remain interesting and relevant in the face of Twitter and Facebook, I thought that much was obvious? Other regular posters I speak to feel the same.

Perhaps when the proper aeroplanes are out of their winter hibernation, and airshows regain their sanity once a decisive outcome is reached over Shoreham I might get the mojo back.

I do wish you wouldn't sit on the fence Dan. Tell it like it is sometimes :-P
CJS

Postby toom317 on Tue 06 Feb 2018, 7:14 pm

I've noticed a lack of photographic content on the forums, particularly in relation to Low Level. Going by the lack of LL pics posted, you'd think there was little going on, but I've heard of multiple F-15 passes through the loop, stuff happening in the lakes, that has never appeared on internet forums, but is on faceache. I'm not on there, and I suppose a few others aren't as well, so it is a pity were not seeing these images.
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.
toom317
UKAR Supporter

Postby vulcan558 on Tue 06 Feb 2018, 8:18 pm

toom317 wrote:I've noticed a lack of photographic content on the forums, particularly in relation to Low Level. Going by the lack of LL pics posted, you'd think there was little going on, but I've heard of multiple F-15 passes through the loop, stuff happening in the lakes, that has never appeared on internet forums, but is on faceache. I'm not on there, and I suppose a few others aren't as well, so it is a pity were not seeing these images.

Its so easy to take a picture and have it on facebook instantly, a lot of hassle to get a pic on here compared.
vulcan558

Postby toom317 on Wed 07 Feb 2018, 10:27 am

vulcan558 wrote:
toom317 wrote:I've noticed a lack of photographic content on the forums, particularly in relation to Low Level. Going by the lack of LL pics posted, you'd think there was little going on, but I've heard of multiple F-15 passes through the loop, stuff happening in the lakes, that has never appeared on internet forums, but is on faceache. I'm not on there, and I suppose a few others aren't as well, so it is a pity were not seeing these images.

Its so easy to take a picture and have it on facebook instantly, a lot of hassle to get a pic on here compared.

Don't know the mechanics of uploading a pic to faceache, but can't really see it being all that different. But with faceache I believe you would have to subscribe to numerous individual accounts to get to see the pics(?) whereas on an internet forum they are all there to see.
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.
toom317
UKAR Supporter

Postby Albion143 on Wed 07 Feb 2018, 10:44 am

vulcan558 wrote:

Got to say this is the reason I have very seldom posted pictures onto the forum as it seems you have to have other accounts to get your pictures on here. At least Faceache and Twitter you can just upload very easily. Think if this was changed you would see a lot more pictures added.
Albion143

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Wed 07 Feb 2018, 10:57 am

It would also cost an arm and a leg. Facebook and Twitter are multi-million dollar businesses, not private forums run on a shoe-string budget.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Postby rob68 on Fri 09 Feb 2018, 6:46 pm

There is a donate tab at the top of the page, I never have, has anyone else?
rob68

Postby CJS on Fri 09 Feb 2018, 9:42 pm

I would hazard a guess that most people wouldn't choose to discuss their charitable giving in an online forum (I know UKAR isn't a charity) but at least some of those who have are listed as 'UKAR supporters' under their username.
CJS

Postby Stagger2 on Sat 10 Feb 2018, 2:38 pm

Hugely disappointed that this Topic was only a 'missing person' issue! I had expected it to be like "Where's Wally" with the excitement of finding Dan O amongst zillions of other characters?
Then again, some may allege similarities... :whistle:
Stagger2

Postby Flare Path on Sat 10 Feb 2018, 3:05 pm

Albion143 wrote:
vulcan558 wrote:Its so easy to take a picture and have it on facebook instantly, a lot of hassle to get a pic on here compared.

At least Faceache and Twitter you can just upload very easily. Think if this was changed you would see a lot more pictures added.

I don't think this would work - you would sacrifice focused quality for quantity. In addition, some thought before you post can only be a good thing.
Flare Path

Postby aviodromefriend on Sun 25 Mar 2018, 1:38 pm

ted633 wrote:Probably too busy with football related journalism to pay us a visit.
Is it a coincidence in this weekend with far less football than normal, he has been posting in a number of places you should expect him to read (RIAT forum, XH558)?
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program
aviodromefriend

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Sun 25 Mar 2018, 2:17 pm

aviodromefriend wrote:
ted633 wrote:Probably too busy with football related journalism to pay us a visit.
Is it a coincidence in this weekend with far less football than normal, he has been posting in a number of places you should expect him to read (RIAT forum, XH558)?

First day off since last weekend, if you must know.

I fail to see why my presence on this forum is of such interest?
Dan O'Hagan

Postby Tangoringo on Sun 25 Mar 2018, 3:02 pm

Dan O'Hagan wrote:
aviodromefriend wrote:

First day off since last weekend, if you must know.

I fail to see why my presence on this forum is of such interest?

Likewise. :question:
Tangoringo

Postby AlexC on Mon 26 Mar 2018, 10:55 am

vulcan558 wrote:Its so easy to take a picture and have it on facebook instantly, a lot of hassle to get a pic on here compared.

That's true, but most of them (the vast majority I'd say) are mobile photo shots (and mostly insufferable 'selfies' to boot) and therefore generally of poor quality.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
AlexC

Postby Wissam24 on Mon 26 Mar 2018, 11:00 am

Locking this pointless nonsense.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Return to Aviation Waffle