What is the point of an Airshow?

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
starbuck

What is the point of an Airshow?

Post by starbuck »

Your licence fee has paid for this...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_aud ... n-air-show

I could kind of understand it if it was meant for children as a feature on Blue Peter and the "reporter" clearly thinks that is who she is presenting to, either that or it wasn't sweetner she dusted her mornings Cornflakes with.

Brevet Cable

Re: What is the point of an Airshow?

Post by Brevet Cable »

And? :dunno:
Don't see a problem with it, really.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

reheat module

Post by reheat module »

And I'm left none the wiser.
Information, exchange, business etc
But for the normal man in the street...?
Canon systems

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

She does mention in there about watching lots of zoomy flying things whizzing around
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Are we being trolled by the BBC?

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

I suppose it fails to distinguish between the trade shows it's clearly focusing on, and airshows for the public.

"Paris, Farnborough(!), Dubai, and ... Singapore the world's big four airshows"

Notwithstanding forgetting ILA Berlin, or Airshow China/Zhuhai, or numerous others, they're more correctly considered as the world's big four trade airshows. Ask the general public at RIAT, Shuttleworth, Duxford, Cosford, or Biggin what the point of airshows are and you'll get a vastly different answer.

I don't think think there's anything inherently wrong with the piece, but there's no need for that question to be asked, and then it doesn't really commit itself to a proper answer.

If they want to do an investigative expose on what the point of airshows are, then fine, but commit to doing that (it's a very legitimate question to ask), rather than a blunt two and a half minute piece. If all they were planning on doing (as the end result shows) is simply reporting on what's going on at Singapore, then they should have just reported it as such. Pretty much exactly the same piece could have been done simply by reporting on the show, instead of framing it with a question like that.

But hey, it's got us talking about an otherwise rather bland and unremarkable news piece, so maybe it's done its job after all.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Brevet Cable wrote:And? :dunno:
Don't see a problem with it, really.

Nor I. Can't say I'm bothered by my licence fee paying for it. Just because I'm sold on airshows doesn't mean it's not of interest to others.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016