Spitfire flypast enquiry?

Spitfire flypast enquiry?

Postby keithjs on Sun 18 Feb 2018, 5:31 pm

A friend of mine has been asked to be best man at another of his friends wedding.
He's asked me if I know how to go about organising a Spitfire flypast for him on the day. As I've not really any idea I thought I'd put the same question on here.
Financially its not a problem apparently 9 within reason I should think?) but he just needs to know how to go about it. I assume its just down to asking any of the Spitfire operators or indeed individual owners if you know who and how?
The wedding is not till the end of August 2019 in the Winchester area.
Thanks for any help and I'll pass on your suggestions to him.
...Rad shutters auto.
User avatar
keithjs

Re: Spitfire flypast enquiry?

Postby paullangford on Sun 18 Feb 2018, 6:02 pm

You could try Peter Teichman for starters at Hangar 11
http://www.hangar11.co.uk/

or The Grace Spitfire
http://www.ml407.co.uk/
User avatar
paullangford


Re: Spitfire flypast enquiry?

Postby aviodromefriend on Sun 18 Feb 2018, 6:33 pm

I thought RAFCTE did organise these things taking away all trouble associated with such thing. If you say money isn't the problem: from http://www.airtattoo.com/air-tattoo-event-services/what-we-offer/packages
We can provide a number of options to suit your event and your budget.

Bronze

Single Flypast/Display
Aircraft such as a Warbird or Classic Jet
Source aircraft, plan and deliver flypast or display
Fixed fee from £1,000 – £5,000 (including aircraft)


Of course you can check if one of the BBMF Spits is in the area on the day?
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program
User avatar
aviodromefriend

Re: Spitfire flypast enquiry?

Postby keithjs on Sun 18 Feb 2018, 7:27 pm

Thank you everyone, that's really helpful. I'll pass it on. :up:
...Rad shutters auto.
User avatar
keithjs

Re: Spitfire flypast enquiry?

Postby BHHH on Sun 18 Feb 2018, 10:15 pm

Or the Kent Spitfire: www.kentspitfire.co.uk
Biggin Hill Heritage Hangar Ltd
BHHH

Re: Spitfire flypast enquiry?

Postby yakdave on Sun 18 Feb 2018, 11:01 pm

The RAF will not entertain a wedding
yakdave

Re: Spitfire flypast enquiry?

Postby keithjs on Mon 19 Feb 2018, 9:04 am

yakdave wrote:The RAF will not entertain a wedding


Interesting..Any idea why? Would that apply to 'en route' flypasts too then?
...Rad shutters auto.
User avatar
keithjs

Re: Spitfire flypast enquiry?

Postby CJS on Mon 19 Feb 2018, 12:17 pm

keithjs wrote:
yakdave wrote:The RAF will not entertain a wedding


Interesting..Any idea why? Would that apply to 'en route' flypasts too then?


From https://www.RAF.mod.uk/bbmf/displays/requestdisplay.cfm

"Note: RAF participation is not permitted at events that are closed to the public and private functions such as weddings, funerals, anniversaries or birthdays."
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?
User avatar
CJS

Re: Spitfire flypast enquiry?

Postby keithjs on Mon 19 Feb 2018, 12:22 pm

Thanks for that but it still doesn't say why? I can only assume it's because they'd be inundated with requests...? :dunno:
Fully understandable though'.
...Rad shutters auto.
User avatar
keithjs

Re: Spitfire flypast enquiry?

Postby CJS on Mon 19 Feb 2018, 1:38 pm

Maybe taxpayers' money being used on what would essentially be a private party? Hence the 'not open to the public' bit. On the form to request a flypast from the RAF it asks if the event is open to the public - I assume it's a straightforward no if you don't say 'yes'.

There's no cost involved in having an RAF flypast at your event, so they're more accountable for the costs I suppose. I inquired about a flypast from SallyB for an event I am putting on at work this summer - with historic links to the USAF - and the cost was truly :hypno:
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?
User avatar
CJS

Re: Spitfire flypast enquiry?

Postby yakdave on Mon 19 Feb 2018, 7:36 pm

The Future the RAF will be charging for flypast. Its the taxpayer that is paying and some of the cost is to be recovered. They as you say no flypast is permitted at a non Public Event
yakdave

Re: Spitfire flypast enquiry?

Postby Stagger2 on Tue 20 Feb 2018, 1:41 am

I have a provisional quotation for you, For a mere £6K I will personally organise for a minimum of 2 flypasts from a single Spitfire over your Winchester event (subject to exact location) & deal with clearances for the day in question. Subject to weather conditions at the designated time I can guarantee it runs to time at the correct location, how come?, because I'll be in the back :wink: Please PM for more?
Stagger2

Re: Spitfire flypast enquiry?

Postby keithjs on Tue 20 Feb 2018, 8:25 am

Thanks for the offer but the best quote he's had so for is a mere £2700....sorry.
...Rad shutters auto.
User avatar
keithjs

Re: Spitfire flypast enquiry?

Postby GertrudetheMerciless on Tue 20 Feb 2018, 9:59 am

keithjs wrote:Thanks for that but it still doesn't say why? I can only assume it's because they'd be inundated with requests...? :dunno:
Fully understandable though'.


Public money, limited flying hours available, extra planning involved (they may have several public flypasts in a single sortie, so it'd just be adding to the pilot's workload), timings to fit in with other events etc etc.
GertrudetheMerciless

Re: Spitfire flypast enquiry?

Postby GertrudetheMerciless on Tue 20 Feb 2018, 10:01 am

CJS wrote: I inquired about a flypast from SallyB for an event I am putting on at work this summer - with historic links to the USAF - and the cost was truly :hypno:


Been there too. The phone call didn't last too long either once the person on the other end realised our budget couldn't stretch that far.
GertrudetheMerciless

Re: Spitfire flypast enquiry?

Postby Stagger2 on Tue 20 Feb 2018, 10:10 am

keithjs wrote:Thanks for the offer but the best quote he's had so for is a mere £2700....sorry.

Bargain! :win:
Stagger2

Re: Spitfire flypast enquiry?

Postby southyorkshireman on Tue 20 Feb 2018, 3:10 pm

We used Biggin Hill heritage hangar for our wedding reception display back in 2014. Chose to have a proper aeroplane though. (Hurricane ) Price was less than so far quoted but may well have gone up now. Worth every penny though!
southyorkshireman

Re: Spitfire flypast enquiry?

Postby pbeardmore on Tue 20 Feb 2018, 3:32 pm

18 years ago I had a quote for a Mustang display at our wedding in Surrey, I had an attack of the "sensibles" and decided to not to go for it.

Of course, it turned out to be a perfect September afternoon and I can only imagine how amazing it would have been for everyone attending. I really regret cancelling now..after all, it is a once in a life time event.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”
User avatar
pbeardmore

Re: Spitfire flypast enquiry?

Postby CJS on Tue 20 Feb 2018, 10:20 pm

Yep, weddings come and go, but private Mustang displays...
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?
User avatar
CJS


Return to Aviation Waffle

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ericbee123 and 23 guests