Biggest regret in aviation enthusiasm?

Re: Biggest regret in aviation enthusiasm?

Postby phreakf4 on Sun 25 Feb 2018, 8:48 am

duxfordhawk wrote:
.... Witnessing so many fatal accidents....

+1
nothing is confirmed at a show until it's u/c hits the tarmac or it's running in for it's display.....
phreakf4

Postby stonojnr on Sun 25 Feb 2018, 9:11 pm

1) seeing the SR71 fly numerous times, and never managing to take a single photo of it in the air, taking off, or landing.

2) spending what felt like days sometimes being dragged as a kid during school holidays, to sit by a fence at Mildenhall, Lakenheath, Wattisham, Woodbridge, Bentwaters and not really appreciating it, so even though I got to see lots of cool stuff flying, at the time it seemed quite boring

3) so not taking any photos of all this cool stuff flying either because it was just always stuff that was there every time we went.

4) going to lots of airshows in the mid 80s, ending up with photos of small grey dots in grey skies. or just left the camera at home, so even the crazy unique stuff are now fading memories.

5) taking Concorde totally for granted, my parents even did one of those trips to the bay of biscay on it once as a wedding anniversary gift, and we didnt even take a photo of it taking off. :wall:

6) taking Mildenhall airshow for granted, stopped going in the mid90's kept thinking Id go again the next year, but the next year never came :(
stonojnr

Postby ColeTheDemolisher on Sun 25 Feb 2018, 11:29 pm

1. Being born to late.
2. Not managing to see Foxy before she had her "incident"

?. i will add more when i think of some :lol:
Canon 750D & Canon 75-300

The Jacket kid

Sorry Goose, but its time to Buzz the tower...

Dudley, West Midlands
ColeTheDemolisher

Postby AlexC on Mon 26 Feb 2018, 11:28 am

Or being born too late maybe?
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
AlexC

Postby memberinessex on Mon 26 Feb 2018, 4:05 pm

This has been a fascinating thread and makes me realise how lucky I have been regarding aviation. Many of the things other have mentioned I have been fortunate to witness. I lived in Harlow, Essex from 1962 to 2000 and as such had access to the early North Weald Airshows, the growth of Stansted, the early days at Duxford and USAF air shows.

I only regret those those things that I have full control over so I would say my single biggest regret (as requested by the OP) is that I did not purchase a DSLR with a decent lens until too late, but which I really mean as recently as post 2014 which I think was the last really great year of airshows in the UK.

Essexitems
memberinessex

Postby Aviationcafe on Tue 27 Feb 2018, 1:43 pm

Not being able to persuade my mum to take photo's of the Russian aircraft that arrived at Seaforth Docks in the 90's.

Would have made for some great photo's as we were shown behind the fence by a relative.
Aviationcafe

Postby borismorris on Tue 27 Feb 2018, 3:13 pm

AlexC wrote:Or being born too late maybe?

Is your name realy AlexC or should it be Alex C maybe?

Give it a rest :roll: :clown:
borismorris

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 27 Feb 2018, 3:56 pm

The 'angry' thread's thataway

:wink:
:biggrin:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby voodoo on Tue 27 Feb 2018, 11:14 pm

Back in the 1950's the only 'communication' was by word of mouth.As schoolboys back then and living in close proximity to RAF Burtonwood ,we were blessed with large amounts of USAF activity, as this base was then the gateway into Europe.We would bike it to the fences, and watch the action at close quarters.In September 1954,one of my schoolmates said that some 'big bombers' had landed and were there for two days--well I was used to seeing B-47's on deployment so I didn't bother.It was only when they had departed back to Brize that I discovered they were B-36's from the 42nd Bombardment Wing.!--my one and only chance to see a B-36 in action and I missed it !
voodoo

Previous

Return to Aviation Waffle