Airshow RAF Cranwell 1974?

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
MetMan
UKAR Supporter

Airshow RAF Cranwell 1974?

Post by MetMan »

A question for those with long aviation memories/records - was there an airshow at RAF Cranwell in summer 1974? I was a still-wet-behind-the-ears weather forecaster starting at Cranwell in Oct 1973. One of the non-routine briefings I remember giving was to the Red Arrows - but I can't track down any record of it on the internet. Was it an airshow or just a display, maybe for a families day? I strongly suspect it was summer 1974 but could have been 1975. I do remember that the Gnats sat on the taxiway waiting for ages to take off and messed up the temperature readings that day. I don't remember any other crews coming in for briefing or any displays for that matter - but it would be more than 20 years later before I became interested in aviation so that doesn't mean there weren't any!

Can anyone give me any pointers to try and tie down the event?

Alan425

Re: Airshow RAF Cranwell 1974?

Post by Alan425 »

I can recall attending a Lord Taverners Cricket match at Cranwell in (I think) the early 1970's at which the Reds displayed. I believe they may have been regular events from the late 1960's to mid 1970's so could have been one of those?

Alan

MetMan
UKAR Supporter

Re: Airshow RAF Cranwell 1974?

Post by MetMan »

Alan425 wrote:I can recall attending a Lord Taverners Cricket match at Cranwell in (I think) the early 1970's at which the Reds displayed. I believe they may have been regular events from the late 1960's to mid 1970's so could have been one of those?

Now that rings a bell - you are almost certainly right. Big thanks for recalling that.

Nigel