First F35s to Marham 5th June

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Re: First F35s to Marham 5th June

Post by Tommy »

Live Stream embedded to save effort:

[fb-post]https://business.facebook.com/itvanglia/videos/2415583081789095/[/fb-post]

verreli

Post by verreli »

Overhead Marham at 20:05

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Thu 13 Sep 2018, 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

No topside passes?

They just flew across the Atlantic and then landed?

Huh.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Is anybody else suffering from a sudden and unexpected case of F-35 fever?

I was amongst the least enthusiastic about this aircraft, but suddenly feel an unusual thrill at the thought of them being in our air force... how bizarre.

County1884

Post by County1884 »

They wouldn't get away with that at Old Warden :lol:

Aviation94

Post by Aviation94 »

MiG_Eater wrote:Is anybody else suffering from a sudden and unexpected case of F-35 fever?

I was amongst the least enthusiastic about this aircraft, but suddenly feel an unusual thrill at the thought of them being in our air force... how bizarre.

I hate to say it but you're not the only one. Never thought I'd say this but they've grown on me!
Last edited by Aviation94 on Wed 06 Jun 2018, 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Canon 650d, Sigma 70-300mm, Kenko 1.4 dgx mc4 tc

Youtube: http://ow.ly/zhAed

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

Aviation94 wrote:
MiG_Eater wrote:Is anybody else suffering from a sudden and unexpected case of F-35 fever?

I hate to say it but you're not the only one. Never thought I'd say this but I they've grown on me!

Isn't that weird...me too....Interesting to watch it all live too....Now then, when will they get proper squadron markings???
...Rad shutters auto.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

They just look cool in STOL mode.

Call me sad but I have been and still are in awe of the technology in the helmet. It truly is next generation.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Just please for the love of all things with wings, don't put an RAF100 sticker on one of them.

jules48

Post by jules48 »

Thanks for link to Anglia TV.Very good

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

boff180 wrote:Just please for the love of all things with wings, don't put an RAF100 sticker on one of them.

Of all the aircraft we have, these need it the most. Just so devoid of any colour or character that even the awful RAF100 guff would liven it up.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Love the squealing sound of them!

MarkL
UKAR Supporter

Post by MarkL »

boff180 wrote:They just look cool in STOL mode.

Call me sad but I have been and still are in awe of the technology in the helmet. It truly is next generation.

Totally agree, love the new tech.
HTAFC

harkins

Post by harkins »

Bitter sweet day as their arrival whilst exciting does drive home that it's farewell to the Tornado.

Just wondering if anyone knows where the four will be living in the short term? I read that 12 HAS were being refurbed and that all sorts of other infrastructure is being constructed including a new 617 headquarters but I can't seem to find out if any of it is ready to use yet. I do assume they won't be left out so will they kick some Tornados out of their shelters?

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

harkins wrote:Bitter sweet day as their arrival whilst exciting does drive home that it's farewell to the Tornado.

Just wondering if anyone knows where the four will be living in the short term? I read that 12 HAS were being refurbed and that all sorts of other infrastructure is being constructed including a new 617 headquarters but I can't seem to find out if any of it is ready to use yet. I do assume they won't be left out so will they kick some Tornados out of their shelters?

more hangars then Tornados. So doubt any will be kicked out.
Marham will be a very quiet place regarding movements once the Tornados go.
Most of the f35s will be on board the carriers for months on end. Then Marham will be very quiet
Compared to the past..

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Nope.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

138EAW

Post by 138EAW »

harkins wrote:Bitter sweet day as their arrival whilst exciting does drive home that it's farewell to the Tornado.

617 will have the Northern HAS complex, plus the new super hangar. The Tornados are located in the Southern HAS complex

I'm guessing the 35s will be in the super hangar if it's finished or until all the building work is done
Gary

jules48

Post by jules48 »

Its been reported they had 9 refuels in an 8 hour flight.Is that right.How can they be the new front line aircraft if they cannot fly more then a 1000 miles without refuelling and assume they were not even supersonic.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

I think that was discussed when they visited in 2016.

Much like how the "our supposedly all-weather aircraft can't make it because of the weather?!" comments were put straight with pretty clear and reasonable principles and facts, I'm sure that there is a very reasonable, and justified explanation as to why.

Might have something to do with the fact that they were flying below all of the civilian air traffic at a lower altitude, but IDK.

G67

Post by G67 »

jules48 wrote:Its been reported they had 9 refuels in an 8 hour flight.Is that right.How can they be the new front line aircraft if they cannot fly more then a 1000 miles without refuelling and assume they were not even supersonic.

Probably not performance-related, possibly more to to with contingency. For example by keeping the tanks filled there are more options for the pilot should a subsequent refuelling fail ( broken probe etc ) rather than being down to bingo-fuel.

I'm more surprised they didn't land at Lajes for a pee and Sandwiches, Brown Bread, Egg.

ericbee123

Post by ericbee123 »

I’m more surprised they didn’t wait until the Autumn and fly onto the big ship designed for them which is scheduled to be off the Eastern Seaboard then. Sail across the Atlantic and fly off in the North Sea and land at Marham that way.

As stated it wasn’t a test of endurance. They were determined to get 4 jets to Marham yesterday, full on kid gloves and minimal risk. Ideal weather, 4 and a spare take off, 2 Voyagers, constant refuelling to keep tanks topped ( notice no drop tanks for the F-35 ), an A400M for SAR. If they had enough fast patrol boats with enough range they would have been underneath all the way too.

It was a full on “Look we have F-35s to go with our carriers,let’s get them in the UK ASAP”-Fest.
Disclaimer-I have spell/grammar checked this post, it may still contain mistakes that might cause offence.

GertrudetheMerciless

Post by GertrudetheMerciless »

jules48 wrote:Its been reported they had 9 refuels in an 8 hour flight.Is that right.How can they be the new front line aircraft if they cannot fly more then a 1000 miles without refuelling and assume they were not even supersonic.

Trails are not just a case of draining the tanks and refilling them. There are lots of other considerations to ensure each jet has an appropriate fuel load at any particular point on the journey.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

During a ferry they try to keep enough fuel on board to allow for an (in theory) divert to the nearest airfield at any point in the flight due to emergency or the tanker breaking.etc

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

A330 ZZ330 is just heading down the West coast of Scotland on it's way back from Gander as Ascot 9101.