A golden year/he who hesitates..

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
tankbuster

A golden year/he who hesitates..

Post by tankbuster »

I've just been away for a week. When I get back, "I thought", I'll check the weather and get myself a Cosford ticket. Wrong, Sold Out. Ah well I'd better get my RIAT departures day ticket. Wrong, Sold Out. I don't really get that one. Why limit the tickets so that people can turn up and pay on the day but may not get in because too many people have turned up before me.

I have never bought a Yeovilton ticket in advance but considering the pretty good line up, I think I shall have to bite the bullet because I can see that selling out as well. I have a Farnborough ticket and my Friday RIAT ticket so I shall get in there. It appears that despite some of the whinging, air shows are if anything getting more popular. IMO, most are still pretty good value compared to other forms of entertainment. From this I surmise that there could be room for a few more shows on the calendar.

I hope to squeeze in the London flypast and a Biggin arrivals day if they decide to let us in and I'm just about to order my Radom ticket, so all in all a good year.
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

Spiny Norman

Re: A golden year/he who hesitates..

Post by Spiny Norman »

You wonder how much they oversell to offset no-shows, but if everyone turns up - what happens?

play it cool

Post by play it cool »

tankbuster wrote:Ah well I'd better get my RIAT departures day ticket. Wrong, Sold Out. I don't really get that one. Why limit the tickets so that people can turn up and pay on the day but may not get in because too many people have turned up before me.

I don't get this either. I'm a bit annoyed; mainly at myself for not having bought tickets in advance, but also at the lack of warning that they would be taken offsale. The email went out yesterday and by the time I'd read it later all the advance Monday tickets had gone. Why not give us more advance warning the way they do with show tickets? I rang them today and was told a 'small number' of tickets would be available on the gate. So, it's a gamble to go at all now. I think it would have been better if they'd stated that entry would be by advance tickets only.

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

play it cool wrote: I rang them today and was told a 'small number' of tickets would be available on the gate. So, it's a gamble to go at all now. I think it would have been better if they'd stated that entry would be by advance tickets only.

This makes no sense whatsoever.

Sell out in advance online -> plenty of time to warn anyone travelling that tickets are unavailable and you will be turned away.
'Some' tickets available on the day -> people turn up expecting to buy tickets only to find they're now sold out and are turned away and end up re-positioning themselves into unsafe areas.

st24

Post by st24 »

Indeed. Just goes to show what a complete pain in the arse advance tickets are and how they can be used to the organisers advantage every time.
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Pat Murphy

Post by Pat Murphy »

Nearly missed out on my Cosford ticket, buying my Legends ticket tomorrow. Bought my Riat arrivals tickets in Feb....BUT I still can't commit to the Monday for departures at RIAT and I probably won't be able to until the week before. So I have to take the chance and get there at 6am for a ticket. I live 3 hours away and HAVE to be at home on the Sunday morning for work, so I now have the choice of paying for a room close on Sunday night or getting up at 3am to guarantee? a ticket. Do I NOT like advance tickets for airshows? I do NOT. :mad:

Rant over, looking forward to Sunday for my first show of the year :smile:

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

I won't buy in advance. The biggest factor for my enjoyment of an airshow is the weather and I'm not prepared to gamble on tickets months ahead of time. I've not been at RIAT since 2013 for that reason.

I've only been to two venues besides Old Warden in the last four years I think, but they most certainly are having a 'golden year' thus far.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

I never understand people who really wanted to attend something such as an airshow or a departures day and then the tickets sell out and they are flailing about and having a tantrum like a two year old in a supermarket. They've been on sale since 24 Oct 2017 - its not like concert tickets or Glasto where they sell out in 90 seconds!

Regarding the departures day I assume most people want to be in East (assuming a Westerly wind). From my experience in previous years you drive on to the on base parking and then walk down to buy/ show your ticket and then enter the enclosure. If its sold out what is to stop you driving into the car park (I've never been asked to present a ticket at that stage) and just stopping by your car in the car park to watch the departures? It would be a bit rubbish for photos granted but you would be in a safe place rather than out on the road etc. If all the tickets are sold then you can't be accused of freeloading as there is no longer the option to buy a ticket and 'go inside'.

Having been to arrivals in previous years and looking at Google Earth I can see no reason why the enclosure can't be increased in size to accommodate the demand for tickets anyway. There is plenty of grassed area around that enclosure that could be incorporated into it and it would be easy money for RIAT.

2E0TVR

Post by 2E0TVR »

speedbird2639 wrote:
Regarding the departures day I assume most people want to be in East (assuming a Westerly wind). From my experience in previous years you drive on to the on base parking and then walk down to buy/ show your ticket and then enter the enclosure. If its sold out what is to stop you driving into the car park (I've never been asked to present a ticket at that stage) and just stopping by your car in the car park to watch the departures? It would be a bit rubbish for photos granted but you would be in a safe place rather than out on the road etc. If all the tickets are sold then you can't be accused of freeloading as there is no longer the option to buy a ticket and 'go inside'.

I did Park & View West last year, staying with my car. It was packed and as I was with my car and not in the enclosure, I was asked for my ticket on 3 occasions. They were removing anyone who was parked up without a ticket. Be warned, it will probably be the same this year.

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

They have been checking tickets in the P&V east car park for 2-3 years now to stop free loaders. Maybe they will check tickets as you drive in this year, plenty of room to do that. Personally I love advance tickets as long as they organisers give clear information. It helps me to budget, so I can buy them in the quiet winter months.

toom317
UKAR Supporter

Post by toom317 »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:I won't buy in advance. The biggest factor for my enjoyment of an airshow is the weather and I'm not prepared to gamble on tickets months ahead of time.

With you on that one LN. Haven't been into an airshow for years. The earliest I have bought tickets in advance, is the day before, which was for one of the RIAT's, and you could buy an advance ticket, from Morrisons I think, and still get the discount.

One comment that has always stuck in my mind from years ago, concerned enthusiasts wish lists for airshows and all the associated carnival, craft fair, non aviation junk that turns up. I'm pretty sure it was someone from RIAT saying that airshows weren't about satisfying aircraft enthusiasts, but a show for the general public and a family day out. Back then of course you could still rock up on the day and get in, but now you can't. I don't see Joe Public splashing out hundreds of pounds, months in advance, for something that may have been a last minute whim, to take a family for a day out.
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

Mind made up so. P&V Monday is the best day of the weekend for me and now sold out so I will be definitely staying on my Arse at home saving a Small Fortune in cash. :up:
Last edited by Georgeconna on Tue 12 Jun 2018, 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

play it cool

Post by play it cool »

speedbird2639 wrote:I never understand people who really wanted to attend something such as an airshow or a departures day and then the tickets sell out and they are flailing about and having a tantrum like a two year old in a supermarket.

Not sure who you think is doing this? With regards to departures day, I’ve always paid on the gate and had no reason to think I’d not be able to do the same this year until I read the email, by which time it was too late. I haven’t got a particular issue with what they’ve done, although I do think they should have given more warning. Ultimately I’ll Just have to ensure I’m one of the early birds on the Monday.

MC hammer

Post by MC hammer »

play it cool wrote:
speedbird2639 wrote:I never understand people who really wanted to attend something such as an airshow or a departures day and then the tickets sell out and they are flailing about and having a tantrum like a two year old in a supermarket.

Not sure who you think is doing this? With regards to departures day, I’ve always paid on the gate and had no reason to think I’d not be able to do the same this year until I read the email, by which time it was too late. I haven’t got a particular issue with what they’ve done, although I do think they should have given more warning. Ultimately I’ll Just have to ensure I’m one of the early birds on the Monday.

No one is having a tantrum and play it cool perfectly explains why. The point is that it has never been an issue before but now it is, same for arrivals Wednesday this year and possibly even more next year, all of which limits your options if buy in advance only spreads to more days.

I wish you luck on Monday. I'm not sure what time you consider early but I don't think you are going to be the only one caught out this time, so there may be a queue of cars before the car parks open. It will be interesting to get some feedback once it's all over. I'm not going to bother, it's too risky for me, the arrivals days will have to suffice.

Traveller

Post by Traveller »

Pure comedy. Decide not to buy tickets in advance then complain one cannot go. Strange how nobody would gamble turning up at an airport and asking for a 2 week Caribbean holiday. Or a Guns and Roses gig at the ticket office as though they will be available. Or a Premiership match. But waiting until the day before to check the weather as an 'enthusiast'? The reason they have a maximum number for sale thankfully is so those who want to go can enjoy it without worrying about overcrowding. No ticket, no show. But it enables another daft thread on here in an otherwise boring day.

FlyingFairy

Post by FlyingFairy »

Regarding the departures day I assume most people want to be in East (assuming a Westerly wind). From my experience in previous years you drive on to the on base parking and then walk down to buy/ show your ticket and then enter the enclosure. If its sold out what is to stop you driving into the car park (I've never been asked to present a ticket at that stage) and just stopping by your car in the car park to watch the departures? It would be a bit rubbish for photos granted but you would be in a safe place rather than out on the road etc. If all the tickets are sold then you can't be accused of freeloading as there is no longer the option to buy a ticket and 'go inside

I’m told that for 2018, the Red entrance has been moved back considerably, to somewhere close to the “inflatable hangar”. This is to allow for the aprons that in recent years has been used for on-base parking to be utilised for static aircraft instead. Therefore I assume that there will be minimal on-base parking at the “Red” end. So your view from the car park would be minimal?

FF

trebleone
UKAR Supporter

Post by trebleone »

FlyingFairy wrote:If its sold out what is to stop you driving into the car park (I've never been asked to present a ticket at that stage) and just stopping by your car in the car park to watch the departures?

They have the option to close the entrance to the car park when all the tickets have sold-out.

NTG1610

Post by NTG1610 »

trebleone wrote:
FlyingFairy wrote:If its sold out what is to stop you driving into the car park (I've never been asked to present a ticket at that stage) and just stopping by your car in the car park to watch the departures?

They have the option to close the entrance to the car park when all the tickets have sold-out.

Tried that last year, no ticket, no access

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

Traveller wrote:Pure comedy. Decide not to buy tickets in advance then complain one cannot go. Strange how nobody would gamble turning up at an airport and asking for a 2 week Caribbean holiday. Or a Guns and Roses gig at the ticket office as though they will be available. Or a Premiership match. But waiting until the day before to check the weather as an 'enthusiast'? The reason they have a maximum number for sale thankfully is so those who want to go can enjoy it without worrying about overcrowding. No ticket, no show. But it enables another daft thread on here in an otherwise boring day.

No ones complaining that Cosford sold out, good for them a great success. There are complaints that RIAT departures is sold out when it isn't.
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

CJS

Post by CJS »

Without wishing to be pedantic Traveller (actually, that's the entire point of my post...) you probably could turn up to most Premiership games on the day and get a ticket. I imagine you mean Premier League?
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

It's a fair bet that the Caribbean weather will be good, go ahead & book-it. Guns & Roses Concert would be okay in any weather if that's your bag? (snowstorm over an open Stadium? get more drugs!) , go ahead & book-it. I struggle to understand why anybody does attend top-flight football, when the matches are comprehensively covered by TV, detail replays & the opinions of 'expert' has-beens :sick: Covered seating + weather no issue, go ahead & book-it. You can see where this is going now!
Go ahead & book a ticket for Fairford (& any other air-show) to potentially stand up-to-your B***s in mud & water to see maybe 25% of what was due to fly, done in cloud & mist at extra risk to aircrew & spectators for zero enjoyment by anybody...but hey! at least you can stretch your arms-out due to no overcrowding, minus of course, the sheer number of smarter people with tickets that stayed at home. For whatever pretence that DBH suggest for pre-sales, it is 100% the fact that 'the money is in the Bank' come Hell or High-water? (& possibly Terrorism) as for sure that would all be an act of God (or Allah as required?) & NOT refundable :surrender:
If claustrophobia is your thing, DON'T attend a Japanese Air-show. Your personal space is so small, it makes London Underground feel like you're on a Desert Island. The balance being the superb content & blue skies. :wink:
Unsurprisingly I detest booking on-line weeks in advance. For me, it's book just before...or don't go!
Last edited by Stagger2 on Tue 12 Jun 2018, 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ouragan

Post by Ouragan »

Stagger2, you also forgot to mention booking up overpriced accommodation ('event rates') and travelling half way across the country for the privilege of getting soaked to the skin.

Done it many times over the years. I guess I'm a little more discerning these days now that the novelty has worn off.

Seahornet

Post by Seahornet »

I can't help thinking that some of you guys are aviation connoisseurs, rather than enthusiasts. For me, a rainy week at a poor year's RIAT is still far better than (nightmare!) just not going! :wink:
And as the smart ship grew,
In stature, grace and hue,
In shadowy silent distance grew the iceberg too....

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

I tried to get in the RIAT P & V West last year on Monday, but the gates were closed. The chap on the gate said that the car park was full. Won't be bothering this year, although up to about 2010 Riat was the highlight of my airshow year.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

MC hammer

Post by MC hammer »

Traveller wrote:Pure comedy. Decide not to buy tickets in advance then complain one cannot go. Strange how nobody would gamble turning up at an airport and asking for a 2 week Caribbean holiday. Or a Guns and Roses gig at the ticket office as though they will be available. Or a Premiership match. But waiting until the day before to check the weather as an 'enthusiast'? The reason they have a maximum number for sale thankfully is so those who want to go can enjoy it without worrying about overcrowding. No ticket, no show. But it enables another daft thread on here in an otherwise boring day.

Well the goalposts moved this year didn't they? One days warning then suddenly no more advance sales. Have you known that happen before? Only option now is to take your chances on the day without knowing how many tickets will be available. Ok that's the way it is now, fair enough. The reason why is valid and didn't need explaining. On your other comparisons, the situation is known beforehand, whereas this is a first and has changed from previous years. Some may have anticipated it after last year and contributed to the rush for tickets, again fair enough. I'm not too bothered, I quite often don't go back on Monday if I did well for arrivals. At least it will take away the do I/don't I agony of watching countless weather forecasts the day before.

The fact is that people have been caught out this time, whether it is their fault for not committing in advance or not. This also includes arrivals Wednesday and in all my years, I cannot ever remember an arrivals day being anywhere near what I would consider to be capacity, so I sympathise with anybody who now has to ponder whether to go really early or not bother on that day.

Unless this is an exceptional year due to RAF 100, I can see that advance tickets only for P&V may come in next year, driven by demand from enthusiasts who want to ensure their attendance, whether it is RIATs policy to do that or not. At least we will be wiser and know what to expect after this year. Maybe you can save your "pure comedy" moment for then.