A golden year/he who hesitates..

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Gonzo230

Re: A golden year/he who hesitates..

Post by Gonzo230 »

Seahornet wrote:I can't help thinking that some of you guys are aviation connoisseurs, rather than enthusiasts. For me, a rainy week at a poor year's RIAT is still far better than (nightmare!) just not going! :wink:

One of my happiest airshow memories is from a completely washed-out Exeter airport in the early to mid-eighties, where all day we'd seen nothing move apart from the odd JEA Shorts 360 or F27, and just as we were about to go someone was towing a red Fokker Dr1 triplane along the crowd line. My brother and I got out of the car and ran to the crowdline, and it stopped right in front of us and the guy towing it had a chat with us and brought it right up to the rope. We were literally the only ones left on the crowdline

We have the most varied airshow scene in the world. Sometimes I think we lose sight of what we have.

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

Traveller wrote:Pure comedy. Decide not to buy tickets in advance then complain one cannot go. Strange how nobody would gamble turning up at an airport and asking for a 2 week Caribbean holiday. Or a Guns and Roses gig at the ticket office as though they will be available. Or a Premiership match. But waiting until the day before to check the weather as an 'enthusiast'? The reason they have a maximum number for sale thankfully is so those who want to go can enjoy it without worrying about overcrowding. No ticket, no show. But it enables another daft thread on here in an otherwise boring day.

The chap I travel with does not get the go ahead from his work for Hols until nearly a week before. Don't Ask its complicated!!. So sometimes folks dont have the Luxury of buying tickets in Decmember for something they may not be able to attend. We don't all live in a perfect World.

I do like a daft thread though :)
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Georgeconna wrote: I do like a daft thread though :)

You've certainly come to the right place!

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Ouragan wrote:Stagger2, you also forgot to mention booking up overpriced accommodation ('event rates') and travelling half way across the country for the privilege of getting soaked to the skin.

Done it many times over the years. I guess I'm a little more discerning these days now that the novelty has worn off.

In an attempt to avoid being committed to going somewhere I can't buy a ticket for, I generally select the option to reserve accommodation at a slightly enhanced price to preserve the option of free late-cancellation!
For instance, in late January I reserved a room for the Evreux Air-show this coming weekend at non-event prices as the dates were not common knowledge then. The sodding Hotel then announced it couldn't honour my Reservation & 'Cooking.Bom' bumped me from a Hotel adjacent the airfield to the middle of Town with no parking! Just shows that the FAF. Block-booking this Hotel can trump my cunning plan! :mad:
I cancelled the Room today at the last possible opportunity, they can stuff their room! :handbag:

psquiddy

Post by psquiddy »

So what was ticket availability like on the gate for RIAT departures today?
Over 300 free things to do in London
http://www.toplondondaysout.co.uk

play it cool

Post by play it cool »

psquiddy wrote:So what was ticket availability like on the gate for RIAT departures today?

I was at P&V West and wasn’t aware of anyone being turned away - unlike last year. The site was a bit bigger and could have accommodated quite a few more.

psquiddy

Post by psquiddy »

That sounds like good news - was anyone at P&V East?
Over 300 free things to do in London
http://www.toplondondaysout.co.uk

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

If I understand correctly, the daily Park & View online ticket sales are good for both ends (East & West) on any given day. Therefore the 'Buy at the Gate' tickets confer the same rights. Due to the subtle psyche variations within the attendees it's assumed there will never be a situation where everybody wants to be at the one end!
In answer to sales on the day ticket availability, I was told on Tuesday 10th July there were 1000 tickets for Wednesday 11th & 980 for Monday 16th Departures-day over & above the sold-out on-line sales? :dizzy:
Needless to say, naturally there was no problem getting-in on either day! :facepalm:

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

Stagger2 wrote:If I understand correctly, the daily Park & View online ticket sales are good for both ends (East & West) on any given day. Therefore the 'Buy at the Gate' tickets confer the same rights. Due to the subtle psyche variations within the attendees it's assumed there will never be a situation where everybody wants to be at the one end!
In answer to sales on the day ticket availability, I was told on Tuesday 10th July there were 1000 tickets for Wednesday 11th & 980 for Monday 16th Departures-day over & above the sold-out on-line sales? :dizzy:
Needless to say, naturally there was no problem getting-in on either day! :facepalm:

It felt a bit silly making fuss when we all saw how easy it was to get in but it was also a bit unnecessary that we felt we were gambling on an early start and distance travelled not knowing that we would get in.
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Stagger2 wrote:If I understand correctly, the daily Park & View online ticket sales are good for both ends (East & West) on any given day.

That's my understanding. You are supposed to be able go from one to the other at will. However, just what happened last year I don't know, as if you had happened try to go from east to west on Monday in all probability you would have found the gate firmly shut, 'car park full!'
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP