Queen's Birthday Flypast 1983 Anyone?

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
wizzair

Queen's Birthday Flypast 1983 Anyone?

Post by wizzair »

After the weekend's fun I was regaling my daughter with tales of my participation in the Queen's Birthday Flypast in 1983. I have Googled for all I am worth but I can't find a single image of the event. Can any of you fine folks help or point me in the right direction?

Steve W

AMB

Re: Queen's Birthday Flypast 1983 Anyone?

Post by AMB »

Not surprised, watching it on BBCTV this year, I thought it was pretty poor and the same as last year. Even Huw Edwards mis-identified four Tornadoes as 'The Red Arrows! !
They appeared to be extremely high this year.
I don't think there are any official records of previous year's flypasts.
Adrian

Andover

Post by Andover »

I was only thinking the other day how interesting it would be to see old QBF's content, and how they compared with these days.

wizzair

Post by wizzair »

1983 was a fast-jet one. We led as a 4-ship of GR1s because 617 Sqn had just reformed at Marham with a brand new type, sound familiar? After a timing loop over the North Sea we were to pick up a 4-ship of Jags from Coltishall as we coasted in, a 4-ship of Buccaneers from Honington as we passed Tacolneston Mast then a 4-ship of Lightnings which had pre-positioned at Wattisham. The weather on the day was really grobbly and one formation didn't get on board on time, I think it was the Lightnings, so missed out. Looking at the maps for it this evening they were very basic, I should really try to scan them and post them.

Steve W

wizzair

Post by wizzair »

Turns out I was wrong about the Lightnings. A poster on Pprune tells me the resulting flypast was 4 x 617 Sqn GR1s, 3 x 208 Sqn Buccs and 4 x 11 Sqn Lightnings. It was the Jags that didn't get on board.

Steve W