Scanners – Uniden UBCD-3600XLT?

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Jez_H

Scanners – Uniden UBCD-3600XLT?

Post by Jez_H »

Evening all,

So after many years of using my trusty old Yupiteru MVT-7100, I’ve been thinking of getting a new scanner. A little while ago I took a look at the Uniden UBCD-3500XLT but never got around to buying one (it seemed a little complex so I stuck with the Yupi for a while longer).

Taking a look now, the 3500xlt is no longer available and has been replaced by (the more expensive) 3600XLT.

Does anyone on UKAR own one of these?

If so, what do you think of it?

Red Dragon

Re: Scanners – Uniden UBCD-3600XLT?

Post by Red Dragon »

I'm told the 3600XLT is "over complex", and basically looks to have all the bells and whistles, where you can programme the frequencies onto a memory card (not sure what type) and insert it into the scanner.

I own a 3500XLT and love it, however the majority of people I know have purchased the slightly cheaper 125XLT which does cover civil and military and you load frequencies via software on your laptop through a cable.

Everyone I know say they will stick with the 125XLT or 3500XLT as the 3600XLT gives no real advantage when you standing in an airshow/ airfield perimeter.

Not a very technical answer, but the 125 is roughly £100 to £115-ish new, the 3600 is north of £400 new. It would save you a lot of money :smile:

2e1var

Post by 2e1var »

For casual use the UBC-125 XLT will cover most peoples needs and works great, wipes the floor with the Yupi for features.
3500/3600 are aimed a bit more at the more professional listener, but they don't receive any better.
If your thing is airshows and occasional use in the garden you can't beat the 125.

Rich
UBC-15X, 800XLT, 3500XLT, VT-225, Pro-2006, Pro-2042, IC-7300, IC-7100, Airspy R2
Sony a58, Sony 70-300G

Jez_H

Post by Jez_H »

Red Dragon wrote:I'm told the 3600XLT is "over complex", and basically looks to have all the bells and whistles, where you can programme the frequencies onto a memory card (not sure what type) and insert it into the scanner.

I own a 3500XLT and love it, however the majority of people I know have purchased the slightly cheaper 125XLT which does cover civil and military and you load frequencies via software on your laptop through a cable.

Everyone I know say they will stick with the 125XLT or 3500XLT as the 3600XLT gives no real advantage when you standing in an airshow/ airfield perimeter.

Not a very technical answer, but the 125 is roughly £100 to £115-ish new, the 3600 is north of £400 new. It would save you a lot of money :smile:

Thanks for the reply.

I guess the other option is to look for a 2nd hand 3500XLT, or as you say the 125XLT. I haven't really looked at one of those before...

I do have a question about these 2 scanners: How easy is it do a direct frequency input? - i.e. if you want to tune to a frequency quickly just to listen to it, how easy is it to enter into the scanner? I seemed to remember when I looked into this before on the 3500XLT it looked really long winded. On the Yupi it's dead easy - you punch in the number on the key-pad and hit enter and voila you're tuned into that frequency.

Also what software do you use to program them?

Jez_H

Post by Jez_H »

2e1var wrote:For casual use the UBC-125 XLT will cover most peoples needs and works great, wipes the floor with the Yupi for features.
3500/3600 are aimed a bit more at the more professional listener, but they don't receive any better.
If your thing is airshows and occasional use in the garden you can't beat the 125.

Rich

Thanks Rich - I'll take a closer look at the UBC-125XLT.

nighthawk999

Post by nighthawk999 »

For a 125 you won't go wrong by using the free scan125 software
https://www.nick-bailey.co.uk/scan125/

2e1var

Post by 2e1var »

Programming a 125 without the software
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecv_aZIzQO8&t=25s
UBC-15X, 800XLT, 3500XLT, VT-225, Pro-2006, Pro-2042, IC-7300, IC-7100, Airspy R2
Sony a58, Sony 70-300G

Duffer

Post by Duffer »

Is there software available for Mac OS to program the 3500XLT?

Tuckat

Post by Tuckat »

2e1var wrote:Programming a 125 without the software
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecv_aZIzQO8&t=25s

I bought the 125 a fortnight ago, and, as a non-tech-savvy child of the 1950s, I programmed it manually using the above link. Really clear and easy to use, I gave it a test run at VL yesterday and it worked perfectly. Clear, quick and simple to use. Great value for money.
Blood, Tears and Folly

jules48

Post by jules48 »

I have had a 3500XLT for years.it is a bit complicated when you read the manual but I found a website which is an idiots guide to programming and much easier to understand.just bear in mind if you want to use it at an airshow it's very juicy on batteries.

Jez_H

Post by Jez_H »

jules48 wrote:I have had a 3500XLT for years.it is a bit complicated when you read the manual but I found a website which is an idiots guide to programming and much easier to understand.just bear in mind if you want to use it at an airshow it's very juicy on batteries.

Thanks for the reply.

How long do the batteries normally last? I think the Yupi normally goes all day but then it's using 4 x AAs rather than the 3 x AAs that Uniden uses.

Also, just to ask again (as no one has answered yet): How easy is it do a direct frequency input on the 3500? - i.e. if you want to tune to a frequency *quickly* just to listen to it, how easy is it to enter into the scanner? I seemed to remember when I looked into this before on the 3500XLT it looked really long winded. On the Yupi it's dead easy - you punch in the number on the key-pad and hit enter and voila you're tuned into that frequency.

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

Try again

Easy to use “direct input” punch in the frequencies.

EGDR

Post by EGDR »

On the 3500 to directly enter a frequency you just need to press hold to stop it scanning, enter the frequency, then press hold again.

Jez_H

Post by Jez_H »

KyleG wrote:On the 3500 to directly enter a frequency you just need to press hold to stop it scanning, enter the frequency, then press hold again.

Ah ok - that doesn't sound too bad then.

Maybe I'll go for a 2nd hand 3500 :)

Jez_H

Post by Jez_H »

Just a follow-up to this: I did some further research on the 3600XLT. A few owners of the scanner said that it was not very good on Airband (although I believe some new firmware was released recently that has improved airband performance dramatically) so I've now got myself a 2nd hand 3500XLT.

I'm curious from those who've got this scanner: How do you organise all your frequencies? i.e. in terms of Systems and Groups for different airshows / airfields?

nacl1

Post by nacl1 »

The 3500XLT is not particularly user friendly for inputting data, requiring constant turning of the selector knob to find alpha numerics. The easiest way is to take advantage of the ability to connect to your PC or Mac. Get a connection cable. Mine came with a serial port connector, so I had to add a serial/USB adaptor.
Once connected, you can do everything on screen, so much easier to manage as you can see what you are doing. You then have to visualise some layout which will suit you, but as an example, I use only one system for airband, and divide that into groups. Each group represents a location, for example, Coningsby. Within that group, I then add frequencies, for example one for each tower frequency, one for each approach, ground, radar, etc, etc. This group can then be turned on or off as required, using the controls on the set. Further groups can be added, for example, Heathrow or Lashenden, or whatever you are likely to be listening to. Within each group, each individual frequency can be turned on or off as required. Remember that if you turn off, or "lockout" a group, every frequency in that group will be off, but it does save having to turn on or off each individual frquency within it. My starting point is always to have everything turned to lockout on. Then when I arrive at a location, I just set the lockout to off for that location group, and all frequencies in that group will be scanned. If one frequency becomes an irritation due to irrelevant chat, that individual frequency can be set to lockout on.
Hopefully, this will get you started. If you download the software to your computer, and think it would be helpful to look at my system, I would be happy to export it to you. You might even want to use it as a starting point for your own system.

Orion

Post by Orion »

I have a UBC125XLT which satisfies my needs. Having said that it does have a weakness in that its belt clip isn't very good so I have to fasten it onto belt or backpack with a shoe lace!

Jez_H

Post by Jez_H »

nacl1 wrote:The 3500XLT is not particularly user friendly for inputting data, requiring constant turning of the selector knob to find alpha numerics. The easiest way is to take advantage of the ability to connect to your PC or Mac. Get a connection cable. Mine came with a serial port connector, so I had to add a serial/USB adaptor.
Once connected, you can do everything on screen, so much easier to manage as you can see what you are doing. You then have to visualise some layout which will suit you, but as an example, I use only one system for airband, and divide that into groups. Each group represents a location, for example, Coningsby. Within that group, I then add frequencies, for example one for each tower frequency, one for each approach, ground, radar, etc, etc. This group can then be turned on or off as required, using the controls on the set. Further groups can be added, for example, Heathrow or Lashenden, or whatever you are likely to be listening to. Within each group, each individual frequency can be turned on or off as required. Remember that if you turn off, or "lockout" a group, every frequency in that group will be off, but it does save having to turn on or off each individual frquency within it. My starting point is always to have everything turned to lockout on. Then when I arrive at a location, I just set the lockout to off for that location group, and all frequencies in that group will be scanned. If one frequency becomes an irritation due to irrelevant chat, that individual frequency can be set to lockout on.
Hopefully, this will get you started. If you download the software to your computer, and think it would be helpful to look at my system, I would be happy to export it to you. You might even want to use it as a starting point for your own system.

Thanks - that's really useful. I've downloaded Freescan and used it to program frequencies for RIAT and Manchester Airport. So far I've gone for a separate System for each airfield, and then used groups to group a few frequencies together (e.g. ATIS group, then a "Main" group) but I guess the beauty of programming it with software it's easy to reconfigure the scanner if I want to try a different approach.

What software are you using?

I'd be happy to try your file if you can provide it :)

nacl1

Post by nacl1 »

Hi, Jez-H, send me a PM with an email address. I'll post the profile that I use to dropbox, and send you a link