RAF E-7 Wedgetails?

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
cg_341

Re: RAF E-7 Wedgetails?

Post by cg_341 »

Ahhh, I see. In that case surely it'd be antenna...gap...antenna?

Odd that it's not an issue for the E-3 which also has a long wing compared to the fuselage length... :whistle:

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

I went with more aesthetically pleasing of the two options :grin: although both would be pig ugly.

No idea on the E-3, perhaps something to do with the frequencies/bands the radar operates on, the materials in the wings, that the wingspan is 20m greater on the A330 and the height of the radar relative to this and the fuselage? :dizzy:

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

No, it just flies inverted when using the radar. I thought everyone knew that!

GertrudetheMerciless

Post by GertrudetheMerciless »

cg_341 wrote:Ahhh, I see. In that case surely it'd be antenna...gap...antenna?

Odd that it's not an issue for the E-3 which also has a long wing compared to the fuselage length... :whistle:

You're not suggesting that due to the (perceived) preference for the E-7 is on (limited) commonality with the P-8, Saab are suggesting an airframe similar to another already in service but it patently unsuitable for the system they offer. :whistle: :clap:

Of course they could offer the GlobalEye, but as anyone who has seen what happens when you put kit on a GlobalExpress (just read about Sentinel and its obesity on PPrune), you'd be left with an airframe with permanent limitations for a long range, endurance critical type. :tumbleweed: