Northolt Night Photoshoot XXV Thursday 18th October 2018

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Frogfoot

Re: Northolt Night Photoshoot XXV Thursday 18th October 2018

Post by Frogfoot »

Would anyone be travelling to the event from the Portsmouth area?

Graf Zeppelin

Post by Graf Zeppelin »

Lee and I have just attended the first planning meeting for Night Photoshoot XXV and we have been informed that due to a change in the safety policy it will not be possible to have aircraft that are in our static line up do ground runs for prop/rotor blur shots. Aircraft that are scheduled to arrive or depart during the evening will be parked at a safe distance and photographers may be asked to increase the distance to the aircraft while it is manoeuvring. The new policy has been implemented by station executives in an attempt to lessen the risk of injury or damage to cameras or equipment.

We are saddened that changes have been implemented but we have to accept that changes happen.
Cheers Phil

Excellere Contende

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Count me out then. It was good while it lasted, I suppose. Very stupid of the station to implement this after zero accidents caused. I hope in time the station come to appreciate the sheer idiocy of this move.

Best of luck finding a new source of funding for the restoration project Phil.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

Thats such a shame, what made Northolt unique has just been lost, unless something silly rare is announced I cant justify the round trip from Birmingham
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

chipmunk22

Post by chipmunk22 »

How many `injuries` have there been,and how many cameras have been destroyed to warrant such a pathetic reaction from `executives` ?? :mad: :mad: :mad:
These jumped up little numpties have sod all else to do but ruin other peoples enjoyment.
Not in the slightest aimed at you Phil.

`elf & safety crap as usual. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Feel sorry for Phil and the team who put these events on.

Shame on the RAF for not just having the balls to pull the plug, but instead making up cock-and-bull rules to make these events effectively pointless and unattractive to punters.

As has been said by others, how many injuries, broken cameras and bent tripods have there been at previous events?

How very in-keeping with the spirit of RAF100 this is, so hot on the heels of the Marham debacle.

Ruislip Rustler

Post by Ruislip Rustler »

OK so without wanting to re open a discussion that I started after the last event

But you're going to...

there has to be some logical factor that makes this more dangerous than it was a year ago

There have been no injuries and the station wants to keep it that way. The only incident I can think of involves the aircraft steps and a protruding leg which, thankfully, resulting in nothing more than a red face and a couple of sharp questions afterwards. It could have been worse.

The events are as safe as we can make them and that has always been paramount. Attitudes and people change which means that additional safeguards may also be implemented by the new guard.

As old school enthusiasts, Phil and I are as disappointed as you are but if we want the events to continue then we have to abide by what we are told. Neither of us are in the military so we have no sway when it comes to decision-making at Northolt. We are, however, in a very privileged position to be able to hold these events which rely on the support and goodwill of the station and its personnel without whom none of the previous 24 would have happened.
Insert witty / sarcastic / uncalled for comment (* delete as applicable)

www.leezpics.com

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Doesn't bother me whether props are turning or not, still getting to photograph modern military aircraft in the dark and if they are parked further way from the lights then it's just a case of resorting to manual focusing.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

alisdairanderson

Post by alisdairanderson »

It's a shame this is being imposed, but the events still provide a great opportunity for night-time photography, at a reasonable £-point. (On average it's probably around £4 - £5 per aircraft that we photograph, as its not a nightshoot of just one aircraft.

I hope people keep supporting the events; I've been to most since around the 10th one, and been astonished at the sheer variety that Phil has managed to arrange to visit Northolt....

See you in October!
Alisdair

KevinJ

Post by KevinJ »

I could be wrong but weren't running aircraft introduced midway through the nightshoots? I don't remember people moaning about the lack of them in the early days, I definitely went to one where there weren't any engine runs and it wasn't expected. It's a shame to lose them but not the end of the world folks.

wezgulf3

Post by wezgulf3 »

I think a line needs to be drawn under this. It is what it is. Phil, Lee and the guys do an amazing job, but unfortunately it’s 2018 and the world is changing, and it’s not going to please everyone.

Wes...

AndyXH558

Post by AndyXH558 »

still count me in Lee, i come because its a social event as well as a nightshoot.
Life's a piece of S*** if you look at it!

CJS

Post by CJS »

aknott68 wrote:... And yet again Ruislip rustler demonstrates an inability to hold an adult debate..why am I not shocked..

Seriously, where the hell has that comment come from? I've read and reread his comment and I see nothing - nothing - that justifies it. God, some people are just on here to pick and moan and make problems where there are none to be made. Pathetic.

These events are not something I'm able to attend for myriad reasons, but I've always loved looking at the photo threads afterwards so I very much hope they continue and continue to be successful.

If I've read Phil's message correctly, there will still be engine runs, it's just that the engines will be further away. Bit aren't most of you shooting usinga tripod anyway, so that'll mitigate at least some of the issues won't it?

Obviously it would be better if everything could run its engines nice and close but it strikes me that, if the quality of aircraft can be kept up as there have been in previous night shoots, then this will still be a cracking event.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

CJS wrote:These events are not something I'm able to attend for myriad reasons, but I've always loved looking at the photo threads afterwards so I very much hope they continue and continue to be successful.

If I've read Phil's message correctly, there will still be engine runs, it's just that the engines will be further away. Bit aren't most of you shooting usinga tripod anyway, so that'll mitigate at least some of the issues won't it?

Obviously it would be better if everything could run its engines nice and close but it strikes me that, if the quality of aircraft can be kept up as there have been in previous night shoots, then this will still be a cracking event.

I do however think that the change in policy will thin the numbers attending - though not necessarily a bad thing, as the recent events were starting to get very crowded! Personally I'll still attend if there are interesting aircraft present, but for me it will no longer be a definite attendance.

Graf Zeppelin

Post by Graf Zeppelin »

Confirmed today:-

Chipmunk T.10 WD286 in yellow training bands from Old Warden.
Cheers Phil

Excellere Contende

Graf Zeppelin

Post by Graf Zeppelin »

We have been informed today that MFG5 German Navy will be supporting the event with a Sea Lynx Mk88A and a Sea King Mk41A :smile:
Cheers Phil

Excellere Contende

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

:worship: :worship: :worship:

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Aquarious

Post by Aquarious »

Personally I'm not a huge chopper fan, however, this is a serious update.
:rock:

Jetnoise

Post by Jetnoise »

Wowsers!
www.ralphluntphotography.com
www.jetnoise.co.uk
There's only one way to skin a cat - with a very sharp knife.

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Graf Zeppelin wrote:Lee and I have just attended the first planning meeting for Night Photoshoot XXV and we have been informed that due to a change in the safety policy it will not be possible to have aircraft that are in our static line up do ground runs for prop/rotor blur shots. Aircraft that are scheduled to arrive or depart during the evening will be parked at a safe distance and photographers may be asked to increase the distance to the aircraft while it is manoeuvring. The new policy has been implemented by station executives in an attempt to lessen the risk of injury or damage to cameras or equipment.

We are saddened that changes have been implemented but we have to accept that changes happen.

I appreciate that the full transcript of the Meeting is not here, but I detect anomalies in the Posting above! Are the RAF Station Executives confused or clutching at straws here?
a) They have the right to impose any restrictions they see fit to minimise risk to personnel & visitors alike in accordance with proper Risk Assessment for any Event.
b) I've never seen a 'Nightshoot Ticket' but I bet it says along the lines of "You die or you cry don't blame us!" Unfortunately the litigious society we now live-in means shiney-arsed no-win/ no-fee companies will take-on anybody to make a buck.
c) Whilst one could argue with RAF Northolt that in all static-runs prop's would be facing the cameras & the prop-wash is in the opposite direction! You could argue that with a Static helicopter the rotor downwash at fast idle is negligible, but it aint gonna change nothing! The issue has been identified & can't be 'unseen'.
d) An additional measure has already been provided for aircraft or helicopters arriving or leaving within the guest attendance, "photographers may be asked to increase the distance to the aircraft while it is manoeuvring."to prevent the more likely "risk of injury or damage to cameras or equipment" & persons surely?
e) I also find the timing of this introduction spookily soon after the unfortunate incident involving 'Couteau Delta' #1 at RIAT arrivals day (P&V East) & the crazy behaviour of the #3 jet that had no need to select high-power at the 09 Hold. :facepalm: I predicted in the immediate aftermath that the next RIAT will see a more conservative facility & restricted aircrew behaviour @ P&V East & that other events will note the incident & risks to be mitigated? :wall:
PS:- Nice catch with the German Navy helicopters. :clap:

ashenden92

Post by ashenden92 »

Looking forward to this little gem on the Calendar Phil & the Team well done on attracting some varied participants

TTFN PASH

Graf Zeppelin

Post by Graf Zeppelin »

Mark Miller is planning to bring his camo Dragon Rapide G-AGJG. :smile:
Cheers Phil

Excellere Contende

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

Graf Zeppelin wrote:Mark Miller is planning to bring his camo Dragon Rapide G-AGJG. :smile:

Nice one! My favourite UK Rapide and one that still eludes me flightwise.... :heyhey: Maybe one day?....
...Rad shutters auto.

Giant

Post by Giant »

Stagger2 wrote:
Graf Zeppelin wrote:Lee and I have just attended the first planning meeting for Night Photoshoot XXV and we have been informed that due to a change in the safety policy it will not be possible to have aircraft that are in our static line up do ground runs for prop/rotor blur shots. Aircraft that are scheduled to arrive or depart during the evening will be parked at a safe distance and photographers may be asked to increase the distance to the aircraft while it is manoeuvring. The new policy has been implemented by station executives in an attempt to lessen the risk of injury or damage to cameras or equipment.

I appreciate that the full transcript of the Meeting is not here, but I detect anomalies in the Posting above! Are the RAF Station Executives confused or clutching at straws here?
a) They have the right to impose any restrictions they see fit to minimise risk to personnel & visitors alike in accordance with proper Risk Assessment for any Event.
b) I've never seen a 'Nightshoot Ticket' but I bet it says along the lines of "You die or you cry don't blame us!" Unfortunately the litigious society we now live-in means shiney-arsed no-win/ no-fee companies will take-on anybody to make a buck.
c) Whilst one could argue with RAF Northolt that in all static-runs prop's would be facing the cameras & the prop-wash is in the opposite direction! You could argue that with a Static helicopter the rotor downwash at fast idle is negligible, but it aint gonna change nothing! The issue has been identified & can't be 'unseen'.
d) An additional measure has already been provided for aircraft or helicopters arriving or leaving within the guest attendance, "photographers may be asked to increase the distance to the aircraft while it is manoeuvring."to prevent the more likely "risk of injury or damage to cameras or equipment" & persons surely?
e) I also find the timing of this introduction spookily soon after the unfortunate incident involving 'Couteau Delta' #1 at RIAT arrivals day (P&V East) & the crazy behaviour of the #3 jet that had no need to select high-power at the 09 Hold. :facepalm: I predicted in the immediate aftermath that the next RIAT will see a more conservative facility & restricted aircrew behaviour @ P&V East & that other events will note the incident & risks to be mitigated? :wall:
PS:- Nice catch with the German Navy helicopters. :clap:

No doubt the RIAT incident will be investigated but the Pilot was genuinely embarrassed over what he had done and requested immediate transport to Park & View to deliver his personal apologies. I was told that all was fixed with the public when the Team posed for selfies, gave away autographs and gizzits!

Graf Zeppelin

Post by Graf Zeppelin »

Confirmed today:-

Merlin HM2 824 NAS :smile:
Cheers Phil

Excellere Contende