Review of the RAF Museum Hendon's new hangar

Re: Review of the RAF Museum Hendon's new hangar

Postby Wissam24 on Sun 08 Jul 2018, 3:54 pm

Alanko wrote:Hendon should be charging visitors £5 a pop.

Why?
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Postby Wissam24 on Sun 08 Jul 2018, 3:54 pm

MiG_Eater wrote:Better than information boards, better than touch screens, better than buttons to push... people to talk to.

I rather expect they're cheaper in a lot of cases too!

Well there were huge numbers of volunteers about on that day.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Postby farnboroughrob on Sun 08 Jul 2018, 4:17 pm

Ok I haven't been there yet, museums are a winter thing for me. But since my first visit in 1978 I have prob been there 30+ times. Why does it have to be all about engaging the yoof? Why can't we have lots of aircraft, and simple info boards for us old gits and interactive stuff for the yoof?I am not a technophobe, I am a early adopter, but there is no substitute for the look and smell of real aircraft. I would like to see more hands on aircraft. How about splitting a tornado in half to show people how it all works? The 'aeronauts' area at least has some point to the playthings, even if most of those playing there may not notice. Now they ahve finished this, can they redo the historic hangars galleries for us old gits?
farnboroughrob

Postby Alanko on Sun 08 Jul 2018, 8:55 pm

Wissam24 wrote:
Alanko wrote:Hendon should be charging visitors £5 a pop.

Why?

Hendon was looking tired and stale, so they decide to do a big, polarising revamp. A bigger trickle of income would allow them to make continuous improvements and keep the place looking tidy.
Alanko

Postby MiG_Eater on Sun 08 Jul 2018, 9:44 pm

farnboroughrob wrote:Ok I haven't been there yet, museums are a winter thing for me. But since my first visit in 1978 I have prob been there 30+ times. Why does it have to be all about engaging the yoof? Why can't we have lots of aircraft, and simple info boards for us old gits and interactive stuff for the yoof?I am not a technophobe, I am a early adopter, but there is no substitute for the look and smell of real aircraft. I would like to see more hands on aircraft. How about splitting a tornado in half to show people how it all works? The 'aeronauts' area at least has some point to the playthings, even if most of those playing there may not notice. Now they ahve finished this, can they redo the historic hangars galleries for us old gits?

Totally agree. Two great examples of engaging museums that don't compromise the exhibits are the National Railway Museum in York and the Museum of Science and Industry in Manchester. Both excellent museums that are engaging and yet set out in such a way that doesn't diminish the exhibits.
MiG_Eater

Previous

Return to Aviation Waffle