25 Squadron to reform.

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
The Baron

25 Squadron to reform.

Post by The Baron »

Not sure if it's been mentioned anywhere else but the RAF have announced that 25 Squadron is to reform on Hawk T.2s out of part of IV Squadron to take on the first phase of advanced fast jet training in support of IX and 12 Squadrons reforming on Typhoons.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Tmyers123

Re: 25 Squadron to reform.

Post by Tmyers123 »

Let’s hope for some squadron markings then :biggrin:

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

Tmyers123 wrote:Let’s hope for some squadron markings then :biggrin:

It has been quoted by base personnel that a "re-designed" squadron badge will be applied to whichever airframes are allocated to 25 Sqn. There is also the chance that one side of the fin might carry 4 Sqn and the other side might carry 25 Sqn, we are yet to find out.

Ouragan

Post by Ouragan »

Why does the word 're-designed' fill me with trepidation?

On the other hand, I always thought No.25 Squadron's Tornadoes were quite bland compared to its stablemates, so we might see something interesting. Not sure about the left side/right side idea though. Why not No.4 on 14 of the T.2s and No.25 on the other 14?

st24

Post by st24 »

Ouragan wrote:Why does the word 're-designed' fill me with trepidation?

On the other hand, I always thought No.25 Squadron's Tornadoes were quite bland compared to its stablemates, so we might see something interesting. Not sure about the left side/right side idea though. Why not No.4 on 14 of the T.2s and No.25 on the other 14?

Indeed, and that would make sense, which, as we all know in their 100th year the RAF are making absolutely no sense whatsoever... At least the Hawk fleet have been pretty reliable with markings over the years.
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Ouragan wrote:Why not No.4 on 14 of the T.2s and No.25 on the other 14?
Because it is easier to use the same aircraft for two different squadrons? It is not something unheard of, weren't/aren't the RAF Sentrys allocated to two different squadrons?
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

PeteM

Post by PeteM »

Or like most other types they could just remove the Squadron markings altogether and 'pool' them.

harkins

Post by harkins »

PeteM wrote:Or like most other types they could just remove the Squadron markings altogether and 'pool' them.

That's where my money would be given current trends. And if that was done, again, from the outside it wouldn't matter what squadrons they formed.

Can anyone explain why we appear to now have (or soon will have) just 10 Texan T MK1s as the basic trainers and 28 Hawk T2 fast jet trainers? Is the basic trainer course much shorter and thus supplies enough pilots to keep the fast jet trainers busy?

And one more question, how many Tucanos are currently active with 72 squadron? I'm assuming 10 or 12?

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Ten Texans as a lot of the training will be simulator-based, in the same way it is for Typhoon and Lightning conversion and ongoing training.

Quite surprised to see the need for more flying training on Hawk, perhaps a sign that the aircraft simulators aren't up to scratch?!

There's about 30 Tucanos still in service with 72 squadron I believe.

harkins

Post by harkins »

Cheers for that. I'd totally forgotten the reliance on simulator training now. Grim times for us enthusiasts.

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

harkins wrote:Cheers for that. I'd totally forgotten the reliance on simulator training now. Grim times for us enthusiasts.

Also not so good for:-

1. accruing flying pay
2. flypasts. (Unless we all get to log-in to the simulator server and virtually tag along).

GertrudetheMerciless

Post by GertrudetheMerciless »

cg_341 wrote:
Quite surprised to see the need for more flying training on Hawk, perhaps a sign that the aircraft simulators aren't up to scratch?!

Remember between the Tucano and Hawk T1 there were always 3 distinct main courses: BFJT (Tincan), AFT, and Tac Weapons (both Hawk).

It could therefore explain why you’d have approximately double the number of Hawks to T6 (without going in to the whys and wherefores of who owns what airframe and is responsible for attrition etc). :smile: