Spotting at Yuma

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
MiG_Eater

Spotting at Yuma

Post by MiG_Eater »

Sorry if this is in the wrong part of the forum but I wasn't sure where to put it.

I'm hoping to spend a bit of time at MCAS Yuma later this year and wondered if anyone had any advice. I've seen the Scramble guide, but was also concerned about general safety as I don't know what the area is like at all and wouldn't want to end up being mugged for my camera gear.

I've heard that with US bases the general rule is stay away from the fence and don't photograph onto the air base, but that aircraft in the air are generally ok?

Any advice is much appreciated!

Skymonster

Re: Spotting at Yuma

Post by Skymonster »

Points 1 and 2 in the Scramble guide are beside a fairly busy multi-lane road - I've never felt threatened while in those locations with camera gear. There is a large car park for the fairgrounds that can sometimes be accessed, otherwise a wide verge - in both cases on the opposite side of the road to the base, as you'll have an encounter with base security it you park next to the fence. I've not visited the south end of the base other than to drive into an airshow, but it's a lot more remote at that end.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Thanks Skymonster.

I thought the fairgrounds area looked pretty good. A proper car park is always appealing.

Is it a busy base? I like the idea of seeing a Harrier again, but my real priority would be catching an Adversary F-5... What are my chances?!

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

p.s. I'm only going to be there in the morning so Spot 1 looks like the place to be. Do you know where would be best to park?

Skymonster

Post by Skymonster »

The activity has its ups and downs - I wouldn't want to suggest a particular time that is best. Every time I have been there, the takeoffs have been on 21 (to the southwest) and landings from the northeast over the main road. If the fairground car park is open you park in there, but that's not good in the morning - otherwise on the verge along the north side of the road (it's just fields to the east of the fairground - or was!). If you are going to be there in the morning point 1 is most pertinent nearer to the junction with the road that goes up to the base entrance - there's space on the verge to pull off the road in that area.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Thanks for your response again.

Are you talking about parking on the verge of South Avenue 3 E? (As per Google maps!)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Yum ... 14.5947932

TomG

Post by TomG »

Was out there in late February this year and had no problems whatsoever - I always put the road between myself and the fence.

The 'threes' (03L & 03R) were in use (as they have been on my last three visits) so we were at the north of the field for departures where we used the two spots on the Google Earth map below. The location marked 'Verge' was used up until about 1230/1300 and then we moved over to the location marked 'Showground'.

Battling the light most of the day when on the threes to be honest. No F-5 or F-35 action all day but did get about twenty Harrier moves as there was a Cherry Point Det taking place.

ImageYuma by Tom Gibbons, on Flickr

This was taken in the morning from the 'Verge' - 300mm with 2x Extender on a 1D MkIV,

Image165427/WL-04 AV-8B+ US Marine Corps/VMA-311 "Tomcats" by Tom Gibbons, on Flickr

From the 'Showground', same camera but with the 1.4x on the 1D.

Image164141/KD-31 AV-8B US Marine Corps/VMAT-203 "Hawks" by Tom Gibbons, on Flickr

For landing shots on the threes its a bit of gamble. If they're using 03L then you can get some decent shots from the spot marked 'Dunes' below. However if on 03R then you're on a hiding to nothing as the threshold to 03R is way inside the airfield boundary.

ImageYuma2 by Tom Gibbons, on Flickr

Shot from the 'Dunes' location with the 1.4x on the 7D, aircraft landing on 03L.

Image164117/CF-25 AV-8B Harrier II VMA-211 'Wake Island Avengers' by Tom Gibbons, on Flickr

Hope that helps?

Tom

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Thanks that's really helpful. Great pictures by the way.

Probably a worthwhile post as I need to manage my expectations... what I really want to see is F-5s, and I suppose they are the least common aircraft at the base(?)

It'll be quite something to see a Harrier again though!

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

p.s. Where did you park for the 'Dunes' location?

TomG

Post by TomG »

MiG_Eater wrote:p.s. Where did you park for the 'Dunes' location?

Just pull off the road and onto the sand, 'dunes' is a bit misleading, sorry. The ground is fine to drive a vehicle onto just try to gauge where you are in relation to 03L.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

RE: Dunes, be careful going too far into the area off the road though.. the sand is quite soft further in.

We almost got stuck once and there was clear evidence that someone had. :facepalm:

These were shot from the "Verge" location with a 150-600.... personally, it is my favourite spot at Yuma.

Follow Toms advice above and you can't go wrong.

ImageF-5F Tiger by Andrew Evans, on Flickr

ImageMi-24 Hind by Andrew Evans, on Flickr

ImageEA-6B Prowler by Andrew Evans, on Flickr

ImageF-35B VMFA-121 by Andrew Evans, on Flickr

ImageE-8C by Andrew Evans, on Flickr

ImageC-130 by Andrew Evans, on Flickr

Image_DSC3422.jpg by Andrew Evans, on Flickr

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

Nice shots Andy, that’s quite a variety isn’t it?

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Thanks Boff.

Are those photos from just one day? The F-5s are just amazing. I really hope I get a similar amount of luck!

On a similar topic - how do the Americans perceive radio scanning? I was thinking of bringing my scanner but was concerned that it (or I) may get confiscated.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

We swapped between Yuma and El Centro over the course of two days as they’re less than 90min apart.

A good time to go is the week before Miramar Airshow (we went on the Wednesday and Thursday) as Yuma especially tends to be busy then - regularly Miramar aircraft are bolt holed in out the way.

Edit: an F-5 is usually launched first thing (around 0730) to act as weather ship to check the range.

PS thanks

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Thanks that's great info.

Whether we will make it for 7.30 is questionable as we'll be starting from Tucson that morning!

Ross Forsyth

Post by Ross Forsyth »

Just to add I visited Yuma about 4 years ago and arrived at 0730,the 03`s were in use so parked up at the Fairground and was only going to be there a couple of hours as I was heading to El Centro,by 0745 2x TAV-8B`s had recovered and 4x F-35 had departed so they do
like an early start!

Have a great trip

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Thanks Ross, sounds great!

Will have to set my alarm for 5am.