RC-135W role

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
FGR.4

RC-135W role

Post by FGR.4 »

Hi all,

I was reading about the RC-135W Rivet Joint, and it’s role comes under Signals Intelligence. But what signals would the aircraft be intercepting in RAF service, and for what purpose?

cg_341

Re: RC-135W role

Post by cg_341 »

toom317
UKAR Supporter

Post by toom317 »

Wonder if they listen in to Pop Master :grin:
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.

AndrewW

Post by AndrewW »

FGR.4 wrote:But what signals would the aircraft be intercepting in RAF service, and for what purpose?

Ask that question too many times, and you might get a visit from men in suits with dark sunglasses and funny ear-pieces :smile:

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Quite! I'd go with the 'Popmaster' theory if you want to avoid your 'jewels' being wired to the mains, not that anybody in the UK Forces know anything about the connection between testicles & electricity? :wink: :whistle:

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Stagger2 wrote:Quite! I'd go with the 'Popmaster' theory if you want to avoid your 'jewels' being wired to the mains, not that anybody in the UK Forces know anything about the connection between testicles & electricity? :wink: :whistle:

They do at London Zoo, I watched a TV prog years ago in which they wanted to artificially inseminate their female Gorilla, so they anaesthetised the male, shoved one electrode up his bum and another on his scrotum and threw the switch.

I always imagined him waking up with a hangover, aching testicles and a vague feeling of having been cheated! :shock:

woody

Post by woody »

hi
Basically they will try to monitor all communications within their area of operations/interest. At one time times they used basic radio scanning radios. I believe AOR (Japan) were a frequent supplier. Suspect they now use many software defined type radios so they can analyse at their convenience. We will never the real purpose but hope this helps. Would love to see some of their radio equipment onboard. At one time these were silent missions - not sure if they are still are. Hope the info is useful.

Regards
steve

FGR.4

Post by FGR.4 »

woody wrote:hi
Basically they will try to monitor all communications within their area of operations/interest. At one time times they used basic radio scanning radios. I believe AOR (Japan) were a frequent supplier. Suspect they now use many software defined type radios so they can analyse at their convenience. We will never the real purpose but hope this helps. Would love to see some of their radio equipment onboard. At one time these were silent missions - not sure if they are still are. Hope the info is useful.

Regards
steve

Thanks. :smile:

st24

Post by st24 »

FarnboroJohn wrote:
Stagger2 wrote:Quite! I'd go with the 'Popmaster' theory if you want to avoid your 'jewels' being wired to the mains, not that anybody in the UK Forces know anything about the connection between testicles & electricity? :wink: :whistle:

They do at London Zoo, I watched a TV prog years ago in which they wanted to artificially inseminate their female Gorilla, so they anaesthetised the male, shoved one electrode up his bum and another on his scrotum and threw the switch.

I always imagined him waking up with a hangover, aching testicles and a vague feeling of having been cheated! :shock:

Sounds like an average Saturday night.... :hypno:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Victor 23

Post by Victor 23 »

Maybe listening to what Corbyns up to!!

andrewn

Post by andrewn »

woody wrote:hi

Regards
steve

Agree on the AOR - there's a great in cockpit photo of an EA-6B on the web somewhere that clearly shows what looks like a AOR3000 scanner mounted in the cockpit! I had one of those myself at one point!