Jaguar returning to flight?

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Abbo46

Re: Jaguar returning to flight?

Post by Abbo46 »

Depends how you define 'recently'

SWAFHF Viggen & Draken appeared at Waddington in 2014.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

CJS wrote:
LN Strike Eagle wrote:We've had civilian-owned and operated afterburning jets operating on these shores before with the SwAFHF. I don't think afterburners are the issue they're made out to be, provided the aircraft has a suitable safety record and can be maintained to the required standard.

The Swedes just flew to Scampton, parked and then flew home again didn't they? If AB was used for take off it would only have been over the runway. Has any civilian jet used AB in a display recently (ever?)?

I'm discounting any appearances in the Channel Islands or at seaside shows by the way.

They flew the Viggen and Tunnan at Waddington 2013.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

Drakken flew at Ayr in '15. Over the sea though admittedly.

Inagine that though..Jaguar at Rhyl :love:

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Surely unless the plan would be to put it on a non-UK register, the argument that non-UK registered aircraft did or did not display in the UK is irrelevant?

If the plan would be to put it on the UK register, I'd have thought the biggest stumbling block wouldn't be whether or not the engines are equipped with afterburners even if they were subsequently disabled.
It would be the fact that it would almost certainly be classified as 'complex' in the same way that XH558 was.
This would mean that they'd need to have OEM / OEM-approved support ( as per XH558 )....does anyone really think that would be forthcoming?
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

CJS

Post by CJS »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
CJS wrote:
LN Strike Eagle wrote:We've had civilian-owned and operated afterburning jets operating on these shores before with the SwAFHF. I don't think afterburners are the issue they're made out to be, provided the aircraft has a suitable safety record and can be maintained to the required standard.

The Swedes just flew to Scampton, parked and then flew home again didn't they? If AB was used for take off it would only have been over the runway. Has any civilian jet used AB in a display recently (ever?)?

I'm discounting any appearances in the Channel Islands or at seaside shows by the way.

They flew the Viggen and Tunnan at Waddington 2013.

:up: didn't know that.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Register the Jag with a Civil registration like the Norwegian Vampires & Mig-15, based in Norway, lives at North Weald for the summer! (with the Noggy Historic Flight, who operated Jaguars a lot? :whistle:)

Abbo46

Post by Abbo46 »

To be fair, they didn't operate Mig-15s either. :tongue:

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Norwegian MiG-15 is American registered. N104CJ.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Mere Detail! :wink: Never let facts get in the way of a good idea! :biggrin:

effects

Post by effects »

reheat module wrote:
flashman8 wrote:Re the afterburner issue.........

Cant they just modify the throttle gate to stop the throttle going into the afterburners.............. :smile:

Then it would need a 20 mile runway, downhill at 45°, Earth's curvature and a hurricane force headwind to have any chance go getting airborne with min fuel.
Those engines were not called 'hand dryers' for nothing...
- Still, would love to see the return of a cat.

And a few helium balloons......
Nikon P900 (Sony DSC-HX400V, Sony DSC-HX300 and DSC-H2 retired)

Joe Spares

Post by Joe Spares »

Those advocating it could fly here and referencing the viggen at Waddington, should remember that was pre Shoreham, and restrictions brought in regarding pilot proficiency since then.....

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

It's certainly the most ambitious restoration project of a fairly unknown, outside of aviation circles, airframe.

Surely aiming to ground run the Jaguar is more sustainable and achievable future for the aircraft? Time will tell I suppose.
Last edited by Ryan. on Wed 17 Oct 2018, 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reds Rolling

Post by Reds Rolling »

I just can't see a Jaguar ever making it back to flight in the UK. As already mentioned the CAA/OEM hurdles would be huge and you'd need someone with VERY deep pockets to finance it.

If it went on the display circuit, it would probably never cover the costs of flight and would always run at a loss. Maybe if it had some sort of military contract it could earn its keep, but is there a need for this type of jet when there's already Hunters around?

My own thoughts are it'll only ever be a ground runner at best, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

Col. Chibani

Post by Col. Chibani »

I thought the plans of bringing back to flight a French Jaguar were cancelled, but I was wrong.
Some recent official info (in french) and some pics about this project can be found here : http://www.pilote-chasse-11ec.com/remise-en-vol-du-e23-point-de-situation/.

To summarize the milestones for those who don't have the privilege to understand this marvelous langage:
  • Airframe E23 (twin seat) has been selected and officially handed in june 2015 to the "Conservatoire Français du Patrimoine Aéronautique" ("French Conservatory for Aeronautic Heritage")
  • Mostly positive systems checks have been performed in june 2016
  • It has been proven in june 2017 to be asbestos-free (very sensitive subject in France)
  • Restoration can proceed, but financial resources must first be found

So, no technical or reglementary issues, but money is the ruler ...
Fingers crossed !

blackcat

Post by blackcat »

Let’s not forget ,The Reheat in the Jag just made the jet louder,Not more thrust.:-)

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

blackcat wrote:Let’s not forget ,The Reheat in the Jag just made the jet louder,Not more thrust.:-)

Sounds a bit like the turbo on the diesel engine in my Mrs' Peugeot 206 - pressing you right foot down didn't make it faster just noisier! :lmao:

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

Has anyone any further information on this ? a friend of mine saw it in the hangar a few months back and was asked not to photograph it...

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

...and was asked not to photograph it

Doesn't inspire confidence really, does it?

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

speedbird2639 wrote:

North Weald can be a bit touchy like that.

I have been over there a couple of times on proper open days and seen officials run over to tell people not to photograph what is in the hangars.

I wouldn't read too much into it.

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

FGR2 wrote:
speedbird2639 wrote:

North Weald can be a bit touchy like that.

I have been over there a couple of times on proper open days and seen officials run over to tell people not to photograph what is in the hangars.

I wouldn't read too much into it.

Only been to North Weald a couple of times and it isnt really any different from anywhere else that allows us access. Ive had mixed results at the hangars, but always allowed in to note whats there, not always allowed to take photos.

If we are not permitted to take photos, its not because they have something to keep secret, its because its someones property and they have a right to privacy.
Arabest,
Geoff.
52 in a year! We must be certifiable!