Unfamiliar Typhoon roundel.

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Tmyers123

Unfamiliar Typhoon roundel.

Post by Tmyers123 »

It may just be me going blind, but this No. 6 Squadron Typhoon (image credit to Marmarelis on Instagram) seems to have an unfamiliar squadron roundel, could anyone shed any light on this please?

Red Dragon

Re: Unfamiliar Typhoon roundel.

Post by Red Dragon »

It's this.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._6_Squadron_RAF#/media/File:RAF_6_Sqn.svg

just the run reflection off the bottom of it.

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

I think you may have missed my point. I’m aware of 6 Squadron’s roundel, but that’s why I’m confused; it doesn’t look like the one in the image I shared.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Roundel? You're talking about the squadron markings. That was explained in the post above - the bottom half of the decal is reflecting the sunlight.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:Roundel? You're talking about the squadron markings. That was explained in the post above - the bottom half of the decal is reflecting the sunlight.

Apologies. I, and many others who I have spoken to refer to the bands on either side of the RAF roundel as the Squadron roundel. And as for the previous post, I didn’t know what they meant by “run reflection off the bottom”.

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

That's what I get for typing the reply quickly.

“run reflection off the bottom” should have obviously red as “sun reflection off the bottom” :smile:

st24

Post by st24 »

Tmyers123 wrote:
LN Strike Eagle wrote:Roundel? You're talking about the squadron markings. That was explained in the post above - the bottom half of the decal is reflecting the sunlight.

Apologies. I, and many others who I have spoken to refer to the bands on either side of the RAF roundel as the Squadron roundel. And as for the previous post, I didn’t know what they meant by “run reflection off the bottom”.

Why would you call it a roundel when it's a rectangle?? They're squadron bars, along with roundels and fin flashes they have been so named since WW1...
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

st24 wrote:Why would you call it a roundel when it's a rectangle?? They're squadron bars, along with roundels and fin flashes they have been so named since WW1...

Does it really matter? It’s just what I’ve always called them.

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/Ca ... n_roundels

CJS

Post by CJS »

Be honest, you just made that page didn't you...;-)
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Binbrook 01

Post by Binbrook 01 »

Well the older generation usually say the roundel is flanked by the Squadron bars...

Beefy

Post by Beefy »

st24 wrote:
Tmyers123 wrote:

Why would you call it a roundel when it's a rectangle?? They're squadron bars, along with roundels and fin flashes they have been so named since WW1...

Being rather pedantic over this aren't we!? The generic term is "Roundel", the South African Air Force "Roundel" isn't "round", neither is Poland's "Square" but it is still called a roundel :wall: Neither is Brazil, Russia, Kazakhstan, even the US of Asses "Star & Bar" isn't round but they are ALL called "Roundels"!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beefy

Post by Beefy »

Add Slovakia to the "Un-round" roundel list too :wall:

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Going a bit OTT here aren't we chaps?
The roundel is the national marking whichever country you're in. Anything else is generally a squadron identity, in the case of the RAF in the form of 'bars'.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

New training sqn.

Binbrook 01

Post by Binbrook 01 »

Not sure what vulcan558 is on about

st24

Post by st24 »

Binbrook 01 wrote:Not sure what vulcan558 is on about

Not unusual... :tongue:

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

By the OP. simply not re-inventing terminology that's made things clear for years, this whole page would be un-necessary!
He only had to ask himself why the hell did the USAF call their insignia 'Stars & Bars' if the circular bit & the rectangular bits are both 'Roundels'? The white bars were added to the roundel in 1943 to assist in visual recognition of friendlies. After several iterations the centre red stripe was added to replicate the US. Flag. :whistle:
Yes, collectively the different insignia are referred to as 'Roundels' irrespective of shape (including triangular , Mexican, etc) in most associated studies/ reference works, but clearly include additional projections which in the case of the RAF are 'Squadron Bars'. (best not Google that as you'll get beer-vending structures on RAF Bases.) :facepalm:
Jeez though! It really grips my excretia when people are WRONG & move the goal-posts to avoid admitting they've been calling Black....White, when it plainly isn't! :mad: :wall:

CJS

Post by CJS »

Say what now?
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Amp

Post by Amp »

Meanwhile, aviation news and topics are discussed on other aviation forums.

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

Hi Guys, just to let you all know that I have just had another look at the picture and as somebody has already pointed out it is the normal 6 Sqdn Roundel Marking but the white looking streak through it is as has been stated the reflection of the sun while the Typhoon is flying on a nice Sunny Day.

Hope this does help.

st24

Post by st24 »

Unknown74 wrote:Hi Guys, just to let you all know that I have just had another look at the picture and as somebody has already pointed out it is the normal 6 Sqdn Roundel Marking but the white looking streak through it is as has been stated the reflection of the sun while the Typhoon is flying on a nice Sunny Day.

Hope this does help.

Thanks for the confirmation... :up: :tumbleweed:

But no, it's the normal 6Sqn bars around the RAF roundel...

Seahornet

Post by Seahornet »

Roundel...? Bars...?

"Sorry old man, we don't understand your banter...." :lol:
And as the smart ship grew,
In stature, grace and hue,
In shadowy silent distance grew the iceberg too....