Your 2018 Highlights

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Tom105

Your 2018 Highlights

Post by Tom105 »

Now that the season is over what were peoples highlights and possibly lows.
I'll start with mine in no particular order -
John Romain in PR.11 at race day show what a display and is certainly the best Spitfire display I've ever see. :clap: :clap:
Finally seeing the Freece Tricolor at RIAT always wanted to see there display in full having only see a practice at Culdrose in 2015.
French ALT2 at RIAT even if it did go home on the Wednesday was still nice to see its practice display.
Shuttleworth Season premiere as a whole much enjoyed and some nice displays and lovely weather!
The flying bulls DC6, BO105 and the Sycamore all new display types for me this year and what lovely displays they did.
16 Tiger moths at Duxford BOB, mainly because i was there on Sunday and it looked at one point like nothing was going to fly so to see aircraft on the horizon made getting soaked feel worth it.
Display of the year for me has to be the Trenchard plus display what a sight and sound and will never be forgotten. On that note the BBMF seem to have stepped it up this year all there displays appeared better with topsides at old warden and nice tributes displays for 617 squadron. :clap: :clap:
Lows not many but RAF 100 at RIAT with the flypast being scrubbed, Farnborough public days as the trade days had some nice displays including the LM100J only thing that made public days bearable is the Harrier. Also the weather mid season could have been slightly better especially at Bruntingthrope !
Anyway over to you!
Thomas

ted633

Re: Your 2018 Highlights

Post by ted633 »

I think the biggest highlight this year has to be the weather! I went to 7 displays this year, 5 of them were scorchers, another was a pleasant sunny day and the other just cloudy. Never had a season like it!

As for the displays, highlights would be Trenchard plus, finally getting to see the USAF heritage flight properly, the return of AR501, all those Lancaster topsides at Old Warden and a few new types for me in the form of the Sycamore, P-47, B-2, Blackburn monoplane and a non-centaurus powered Sea Fury.

Lows would be the farewells to a couple of legendary types in British service (Sea King and Tornado), sad to see them go but at least they put in an appearance and didn't just disappear.
Only other low of what I saw was the somewhat inconsistencies at Shuttleworth with regards to the bend and display heights, especially after the great season premiere. Hopefully will return to normal next year.

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

My highlights:
5: Bristol Sycamore. Fantastic to see. Even more so when it popped into Westland allowing me a real close up look at it.
4: MiG 29 and Hurricane formation at Cosford.
3: Noratlas at Evreux. The noise on start up is brilliant.
2: La Ferté Alais. It's just always brilliant and produced some stunning displays this year. The Sea Fury T20 solo, the Atlantic, the C-160 landing.
1: Cosford. An all round brilliant show. Great out-the-box thinking putting all displays in chronological order, a great line up both on the ground and in the air.

Not an airshow moment but I'm really pleased to have photographed all three remaining Breguet Deux-Ponts in three months.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

alisdairanderson

Post by alisdairanderson »

+1 for the Lancaster topsides at Old Warden!!!

Cheers
Alisdair

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Shuttleworth's opening evening display. My first time at this show and certainly not my last.
Seeing the Mig-29 at Cosford was brilliant.
617 Squadron flypast at RIAT was great - nice to hear a bit of noise from the Tornado in its final year.
Ukrainians arriving at RIAT... even if it was identical to last year - this is a sight that I thought, for a long time, would be consigned to memories of '90s airshows.

aceyone

Re: Your 2018 Highlightsws

Post by aceyone »

Couteau Delta at RIAT a superb display of power and grace,everything that is good about airshows :clap: :clap:
Don't know about those jets ,they spoil a very nice place

MetMan
UKAR Supporter

Post by MetMan »

+1 for Cosford - one of the most enjoyable airshows I have been to in the last 20 years - fantastic ground display

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Highlights

9 Tornado's in formation flypast at RAF100 Flypast in London
Cosford Airshow - Fantastic day
Swiss Classic Formaion Dakota & 3 Beech 18s at Portrush
BBMF Lancaster with 3 Spitfires, 2 Hurricanes and the Dakota at RAF100 flypast
22 Typhoons in 100 formation
Seeing a Harrier parked up in my home town as part of the National Aircraft Tour

Lows
Portrush having so many cancelled displays
My local shows flying being cancelled due to horrible weather arriving minutes before displays were due to begin after blue skies all morning and early afternoon.

MiG_Eater

Re: Your 2018 Highlightsws

Post by MiG_Eater »

aceyone wrote:Couteau Delta at RIAT a superb display of power and grace,everything that is good about airshows :clap: :clap:

100% agree. :up:

tache3
UKAR Supporter

Post by tache3 »

Ukrainian SU-27s at RIAT arrivals. A grand entrance and wonderful very slow taxi past P&V West (with a long pause for photos). Superb.

Agg
UKAR Staff

Post by Agg »

My personal highlight of the 2018 season was the Danish Airshow in June, what a fantastic event that was! The spotter's day the day before the show was the perfect example of how these events should be organized, fantastic access, and really welcome and helpfull staff. And even though the weather took a turn for the worse on the day of the show I still walked away with some memories that will stay with me for a long time - like seeing the Starfighter take off for it's first international (and second overall) display.

The lows were, sadly, more numerous. First I'd like to mention the awful Tiger Meet event in Poznan. While it was a nice day out, with nice company, and a lot of fast jet movements, I really have nothing good to say about the organization. No real access to the aircraft, as we were placed on the opposite side of the airfield, with the sun in out face, and the area designated for spotters was far to small for the amount of people they let in.

Another low for me this year was RIAT, what was touted as the main celebration of the RAF's centenary over three full show days turned out to be nothing but a bog-standard European airshow, but at a significantly higher price. Add to that all the rules and regulations and this year's RIAT really didn't do it for me. With so many other great shows around Europe I think it's going to be a while before I do another RIAT.

Smog Monster

Post by Smog Monster »

Off the top of my hean and in no particular order:

Eastern front routine at Duxford in September

Couteau Delta at RIAT

Su 27 display on Friday at RIAT

Tornado GR4 final pass at Cosford

Tornado F3, Black Mike Phantom, Lightning & Hunter line up at Cosford

Defiant outside at Cosford

Hurricanes at Legends

I'm sure there are others if I thought a bit longer.

Euan Buchan

Post by Euan Buchan »

Mine was returning to a Airshow after so many years not going the day started dull but turned out to be a beautiful glorious sunny day. mu highlight was boarding a Corncorde at the Airshow was simply fantastic.
The Concorde Forum
A Site Dedicated For Concorde Fans
http://theconcordeforum.freeforums.net/

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

What's a Corncorde?
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

Euan Buchan

Post by Euan Buchan »

AlexC wrote:What's a Corncorde?

The Corncorde was a iconic aircraft through the 1970's right to the sad crash with a Air France flight in Paris 2000. The Corncorde sadly retired in 2003 but you can still see them at Museum of Flights across the world.

The Concorde Forum

Ian G
UKAR Staff

Post by Ian G »

AlexC wrote:What's a Corncorde?

Garf's website and Flickr Photostream

"Which road can I close for you today?"

#tapestries

CJS

Post by CJS »

"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Jakesplanes

Post by Jakesplanes »

Don’t worry Euan, just ignore their banter, they don’t mean any harm. I’ve appreciated your many posts lately, good to see the next gen coming up, keep going :clap:
IG profile "jakesplanes"

Airwolfhound

Post by Airwolfhound »

Love the way this very helpful forum goes out of its way to ridicule, yet offer no friendly advice (and to think we supposedly have 'teachers' on this board........... :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: ).

Euan, it's Concorde (or at least was) and not Corncorde :smile:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)

Jakesplanes

Post by Jakesplanes »

My highlights, sadly I didn’t get back to the UK this summer (missing my first Yeovilton Airday in forever), but I did get to see:
The Nummijarvi fly-in where private aircraft land on a frozen lake.
Finnish F-18 Hornets and Learjets operating from a public road
Finally got to see flying MiG-21s in Croatia.
IG profile "jakesplanes"

Euan Buchan

Post by Euan Buchan »

Airwolfhound wrote:Love the way this very helpful forum goes out of its way to ridicule, yet offer no friendly advice (and to think we supposedly have 'teachers' on this board........... :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: ).

oppsie didn't mean to put that in :lol:
The Concorde Forum

austinp

Post by austinp »

High's

The French watching/listening to the World Cup final, and their celebration of the win at a very hot RIAT.

Seeing the 617 flypast at RIAT. A bit sad that it was the last time a RAF Tonka will be at a airshow :-(

Low's

NORAD Hornet not flying Sunday at RIAT (and I didn't get any pics of it displaying on the Saturday).

Not getting to Cosford.

Chris G

Post by Chris G »

Seeing the Red Bull Matadors and Shuttleworth Avro XIX at Southport was great to see, as for RIAT that was fantastic, especially the Trenchard plus formation and the 617 tribute. The lows had to be the B2 and the rediculous dropping of the Osprey on the Saturday.

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

Euan Buchan wrote:
Airwolfhound wrote:Love the way this very helpful forum goes out of its way to ridicule, yet offer no friendly advice (and to think we supposedly have 'teachers' on this board........... :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: ).

oppsie didn't mean to put that in :lol:

I was actually beginning to think that Euan was some sort of aviation enthusiast until I read about his adventures with a Corncorde, I think that he should stick to his birding hobby instead!

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

Highlights. All the air shows I attended.

Lows. All the air shows I was unable to attend.
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....