Do you get views of passing aircraft where you live?

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
138EAW

Re: Do you get views of passing aircraft where you live?

Post by 138EAW »

I live in South Lincolnshire. So week days lots of Typhoons, F-15s, Tornados, Grobs. The Typhoons and F-15s perform BFM/ ACM the other tend to transit. Working nights at the moment, never thought I'd say it but the noise can get annoying when your trying to sleep :lol:

Activity did drop off when the Harrier were canned, used to have them over low heading to and from Holbeach and transiting
Gary

rob68

Post by rob68 »

We're under the approach to Birmingham from the north, probably about 15 miles away, but low enough to see registration if want to. Above that is traffic from Manchester but high. We also got F15s at the end of the Lichfield corridor. 4 year grandaughter can tell the difference in the engine noise now between the civil and military stuff and I never prompted her!!! Once had the RAFAT fly past the living room, didn't even have to get off seat to see them and have had a BBMF flypast while cutting the grass. Can see the ISS from living room as well

Cole

Post by Cole »

rob68 wrote:We're under the approach to Birmingham from the north, probably about 15 miles away, but low enough to see registration if want to. Above that is traffic from Manchester but high. We also got F15s at the end of the Lichfield corridor. 4 year grandaughter can tell the difference in the engine noise now between the civil and military stuff and I never prompted her!!! Once had the RAFAT fly past the living room, didn't even have to get off seat to see them and have had a BBMF flypast while cutting the grass. Can see the ISS from living room as well

Sounds like my house :lol:

Sure we aren't neighbours? :lol: :biggrin:
Canon 800D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um..

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Cardiff / St Athan area.
Lots of whiney midges ( Grob Tutors ) pretty much every day, plus the various SAR, Plod & Helimed helicopters.
It doesn't take long to get sick of them. :lol:
Military usually consists of Hawks, Chinooks & Merlins, plus the odd A-400, Voyager & Typhoon ( depending on their routing )
Occasionally get something interesting up out of St Athan ( depending what Horizon's working on ) or the odd foreign military flight.

Other than that, civi commercial & light aircraft.

Unfortunately, gone are the days of all the military stuff in/out of St Athan, or watching D-School carrying out ACMs :sad:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Steve p

Post by Steve p »

Apart from high altitude civil stuff and Iight aircraft from nearby Staverton not much of interest over my part of Gloucestershire. Very little in the way of military fast jets though C-17 and Atlas are occasionally seen at low level coming and going from Brize and very occasionally low level US stuff from Fairford (have seen a few low C-5s and on one occasion a B-2 about 18 months ago). Also get the usual dose of helicopters, civil stuff from Staverton and Chinook, merlin, wildcat, puma and apache plus them black and while Dauphins the SAS use.
Edit, As i posted this a Bristow AW 189 G-MCGX just passed over at around 700ft Staverton bound.
Last edited by Steve p on Sun 04 Nov 2018, 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

CJS

Re: Do you get views of passing aircraft were you live?

Post by CJS »

CJS wrote:Military or civil? Lots of boring civil stuff over me, the occasional military stuff but not often.

Just ne of Bristol by the way.

To clarify: occasional C-130s, Apache and Chinook helicopters are the military bits we tend to get overhead. At least once a season we seem to get the BBMF transiting over head and the RAFAT too usually a couple of times (but does anyone not get that!?).

We used to get the RR Spitfire regularly playing close by when it was based at Fulton, but those days are sadly now gone. :-(
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

CJS wrote: The RAFAT too usually a couple of times (but does anyone not get that!?).

Yes. :wave:

RAF4EVER

Post by RAF4EVER »

We used to get the RR Spitfire regularly playing close by when it was based at Fulton,quote CJS

I take it you mean FILTON,and as for the Sparrows never see them in transit[no,not the van] :smile: :smile:

CJS

Post by CJS »

Yep, fat fingers :-o

I think you mean ARROWS, by the way... :tongue2:
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

RAF4EVER

Post by RAF4EVER »

Aways called them Sparrows,ever since I was in R.A.F. :smile: :smile:

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

Where do I start, bear in mind I collect number so any aircraft is on interest. I live on the south side of the Blackbushe ATZ, just about base leg in the circuit for 25. Airport is under new management and getting busy. Just to the south is Farnborough and can see 26 arrivals and 06 departures. I am also under the M3 helicopter corridor so lots of civil and mil traffic. We also get lots of light aircraft transiting north south, quite a few Spitfires, Harvards, Yaks etc in the summer. Then we have all the traffic in out of the London airports and the higher stuff over the pond and to europe. Probably one of the busiest bits of airspace in the world.

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

Although I live close to Farnborough (was good when it was RAE when almost anything could turn up, for example once when driving past Southwood golf course saw two German F-104s parked up and of course all the RAE circuit stuff; not so good now except sometimes when show is on) I don't see much at home as I am surrounded by higher buildings and trees. I see more where I work (part time) which is almost exactly halfway between Farnborough and Odiham, so see lots of bizjets, several military helicopters (and some occasional fixed wing military) plus frequent light traffic and also constant airline traffic at higher altitudes arriving/departing Heathrow and Gatwick
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

IP1960

Post by IP1960 »

Tmyers123 wrote:
CJS wrote: The RAFAT too usually a couple of times (but does anyone not get that!?).

Yes. :wave:

We had an overhead transit by the Reds earlier this year. I've lived in this house for 25 years and can't remember one before :smile: The perils of living on the edge of a built-up area.

Ken Shabby

Post by Ken Shabby »

I live under the flight path into Biggin Hill, about six miles from touchdown, so get to see a lot of biz-jets. Sadly the light GA has all but disappeared now that they've squeezed-out most of the flying clubs there.

Also get Heathrow traffic holding overhead, or flying out, depending on the wind direction, plus stuff going into London City. On a clear evening, driving on the A20 near Swanley, I can see Heathrow, London City and Biggin traffic, as well as in the distance, stuff going into, or coming out of, Gatwick.

Not much military apart from the odd Chinook, two to three times a week.
Ken

neilos

Post by neilos »

Airwolfhound wrote:Aviation central where I live. Stansted and Luton airports not far from me, as is Duxford and Old Warden. Frequently get Spitfires overhead in the Summer months, plenty of helicopter action as well, usually Apaches, Merlins and Chinooks. I live in North Hertfordshire, with good road links to Mildenhall and Lakenheath should I want to drop in, they are only around 45 minutes away :-)

Same here too.

Early mornings can be fun sometimes. At least 7 Whizz Air flights all following each other into Luton.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Brevet Cable wrote:Cardiff / St Athan area.
Lots of whiney midges ( Grob Tutors ) pretty much every day, plus the various SAR, Plod & Helimed helicopters.
It doesn't take long to get sick of them. :lol:
Military usually consists of Hawks, Chinooks & Merlins, plus the odd A-400, Voyager & Typhoon ( depending on their routing )
Occasionally get something interesting up out of St Athan ( depending what Horizon's working on ) or the odd foreign military flight.

Other than that, civi commercial & light aircraft.

Unfortunately, gone are the days of all the military stuff in/out of St Athan, or watching D-School carrying out ACMs :sad:

D-School? ACMs? Sorry, I don't understand...

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

UKTopgun wrote:D-School? ACMs? Sorry, I don't understand...

Air Combat Maneouvres. :up:

Slinger65

Post by Slinger65 »

We are also below the Lichfield Corridor, so regularly get mid level military traversing, mainly F-15s, plus in the distance views of traffic going into East Mids when there's an easterly wind. Low level traffic nowhere near what it used to be, but they tend to follow the Mease valley presumably for navigation. Cosford and Southport airshow days usually bring some interesting variety. Over the years we've had close encounters with...

Lancaster (from the garden, en route from Cosford)...

B17
Vulcan (low level, literally straight over the house, lining up to go over the National Memorial Arboretum at Alrewas)
Hercules

Merlin (again, lining up for the NMA)

Dakota
Mustang (Ferocious Frankie)
Spitfires a-plenty, plus the odd Hurricane
Harrier
Tornado
Vampire
Apache
Puma
Chinook
Red Arrows
Hot Air Balloon, dropping in...

Slinger65

Panasonic Lumix FZ1000

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

UKTopgun wrote:D-School? ACMs? Sorry, I don't understand...

.....you missed SAR.

D-School? Ah, sorry, I should have elaborated by putting RN D-School, given that it's a WAFU thing.

ACMs? They're like DACMs but with only one aircraft type & they could be BVR, WVR, or a mix of the two & involve either simulated guns, AAM, or both......Oh, and at times they also included AWACS.

Alles klar :up:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

skidd40

Post by skidd40 »

On route to and from Odiham / Wallop and onward to Salisbury plain ... lots and lots and lots of roof top height crockery shacking rotary

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

I feel severely short changed after reading these posts, down here in the garden of England we get zero military and only civil stuff on its way into City or Gatwick or very high traversing across from the US / continental Europe. Used to get some interesting odds and sods when Manston was open but not now.

NAM Updater

Post by NAM Updater »

Whilst not quite where I live, the museum does attract quite a lot of 'passing' and the occasional visiting traffic, as listed on this page of its website!

http://www.newarkairmuseum.org/NAM-Low-Fly-Log
Howard Heeley - Newark Air Museum Trustee
Every museum visit counts!
http://newarkairmuseum.org

lambo17841

Post by lambo17841 »

I live in Seaford so plenty of stuff over the top.Plenty of traffic along the coast both military helicopters and the odd jet and light aircraft into Shoreham from the east and some cross channel movements.
Do not do regs these days only graphs but post stuff of interest on message boards seen on the screen.

John in Seaford

Webby74

Post by Webby74 »

Chinook, Merlin and Wildcat pass by my work on Portsmouth harbour. Search and rescue helicopters, lots of civil stuff and the bonus of the boultbee spitfire at the moment over my flat from the airfield at lee on the solent

SPLAT

Post by SPLAT »

City airport , so just civvies