New St Athan Museum

New St Athan Museum

Postby Brevet Cable on Mon 26 Nov 2018, 8:39 am

Whatever your opinions on the 'Black Mike' saga, this is where it's ended up....
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/first-look-inside-amazing-new-15453037?fbclid=IwAR0Tzshqn0Ir7CB_b7mTusQqez7urgq5BIbu7z1jgEtSdtc4IKXOugJX0qM

Not much information as to just how accessible it's going to be.
Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Re: New St Athan Museum

Postby iainpeden on Mon 26 Nov 2018, 10:41 am

A bit far for a day trip but it's good that the airframes are undercover and being looked after by a team which seems to know how to look after a/c. Is that the Raspberry Ripple Tornado which was at Bruntingthorpe?
iainpeden

Postby Brevet Cable on Mon 26 Nov 2018, 11:09 am

Yep, it is....

There are other ex-Bruntingthorpe airframes there, as well as ones from elsewhere.
Most - if not all - are listed on the SWAG website:
http://www.southwalesaviationgroup.co.uk/p/gjd-aerotech.html
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby farnboroughrob on Mon 26 Nov 2018, 5:08 pm

I think it is a good move. There is a interesting collection at St Athan but is is totally inaccessible, and no view from outside.
farnboroughrob

Postby TYPHOON3 on Thu 29 Nov 2018, 5:58 pm

I thought they were intending to fast taxi the Tornado at Brunty eventually but obviously not any more.
TYPHOON3

Postby HeyfordDave111 on Thu 29 Nov 2018, 6:11 pm

I seem to remember people thinking Newquay was a good idea when it first started down there. :facepalm:

St.Athans not much use for anything except their core business in my opinion. Hardly a tourist trap.
Got to love Russianhardware
HeyfordDave111

Postby GertrudetheMerciless on Thu 29 Nov 2018, 7:10 pm

I think in this case the core business is maybe more suited to the collection being assembled. Better educational possibilities too.
GertrudetheMerciless

Postby Brevet Cable on Fri 30 Nov 2018, 3:29 pm

HeyfordDave111 wrote:St.Athans not much use for anything except their core business in my opinion. Hardly a tourist trap.

Yep, because there are no other popular tourist attractions & museums in the area, are there..... :whistle:

Depending on which rumours you listen to, there are some suggesting that they may be looking at having an airshow there in the future - I'd have thought it unlikely given the other companies there, but you never know.
The museum plans look to be more focussed on organised visits as opposed to catering for anyone just turning up on-spec ... again, no surprise.
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby GertrudetheMerciless on Fri 30 Nov 2018, 9:15 pm

No major university cities either, motorways or international airports.
GertrudetheMerciless

Postby FarnboroJohn on Sat 01 Dec 2018, 7:07 am

Brevet Cable wrote:
HeyfordDave111 wrote:St.Athans not much use for anything except their core business in my opinion. Hardly a tourist trap.

Yep, because there are no other popular tourist attractions & museums in the area, are there..... :whistle:

Depending on which rumours you listen to, there are some suggesting that they may be looking at having an airshow there in the future - I'd have thought it unlikely given the other companies there, but you never know.
The museum plans look to be more focussed on organised visits as opposed to catering for anyone just turning up on-spec ... again, no surprise.

Maybe they expect to be part of an aircraft engineering STEM project to inspire and educate today's youth! :lol:
FarnboroJohn

Postby Brevet Cable on Sat 01 Dec 2018, 12:43 pm

Plenty of hangar space there for a big triangular-shaped aircraft..... :biggrin:
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby iainpeden on Sat 01 Dec 2018, 7:15 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:Plenty of hangar space there for a big triangular-shaped aircraft..... :biggrin:

Carried by 3 Chinooks I presume.
iainpeden

Postby Brevet Cable on Sat 01 Dec 2018, 8:53 pm

It would have to be a swallow.....not sure if an African or European one, though. :biggrin:
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby FarnboroJohn on Sat 01 Dec 2018, 9:36 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:It would have to be a swallow.....not sure if an African or European one, though. :biggrin:

Its too large for a European Swallow...... :lol:
FarnboroJohn

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 09 Jan 2019, 7:52 pm

If anyone's interested, they now have a facebook page : https://www.facebook.com/SouthWalesAviationMuseum/?hc_location=group
Scrolling down, there are a number of other airframes earmarked for there.....
Herald G-CEXP from Gatwick
VC-10 ZA147 from Bruntingthorpe ( interestingly they mention the posibility of a ferry flight )
Buccaneer XX889 from Bruntingthorpe
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Tom105 on Wed 09 Jan 2019, 8:25 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:If anyone's interested, they now have a facebook page : https://www.facebook.com/SouthWalesAviationMuseum/?hc_location=group
Scrolling down, there are a number of other airframes earmarked for there.....
Herald G-CEXP from Gatwick
VC-10 ZA147 from Bruntingthorpe ( interestingly they mention the posibility of a ferry flight )
Buccaneer XX889 from Bruntingthorpe

Also the DC6 from Coventry i believe is due to go there! I believe XX889 is still at Cosford but not 100% sure.
Thomas
Tom105

Postby Abbo46 on Wed 09 Jan 2019, 8:42 pm

Yes, Buccaneer is at Cosford now, can't remember when it's due to leave for St Athan.

Quite the collection forming there, look forward to visting! :up:
Abbo46

Postby rob68 on Thu 10 Jan 2019, 11:27 pm

St Athan was an off shoot of RAF museum in the 80,s . Drove from Staffordshire just to see the two seat FW190 run up that is now in Hendon so it seems as if the place is going full circle
rob68

Return to Aviation Waffle