RAF Tucano display 2019

RAF Tucano display 2019

Postby JJC on Tue 11 Dec 2018, 6:20 pm

Appears to be returning to the circuit next year...a welcome return!

According to the 72 squadron’s boss on twitter at least:

https://twitter.com/72squadron/status/1072546169950298112?s=21
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''
JJC

Re: RAF Tucano display 2019

Postby The Baron on Tue 11 Dec 2018, 7:19 pm

I have to say that I'm very surprised by this announcement, but happy to hear it!
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.
The Baron

Postby Abbo46 on Tue 11 Dec 2018, 7:32 pm

Rather excellent news that. :clap:
Abbo46

Postby Tom105 on Tue 11 Dec 2018, 7:46 pm

Really good new in the day and age when the RAF are always making cuts. Look forward to seeing it again it will be 5 years since it last displayed!
Thomas
Tom105

Postby Cole on Tue 11 Dec 2018, 8:23 pm

WOW, I am shocked, never thought I would see it again.

Well done RAF, never thought i would say that again either :lol:
Canon 750D & Canon 75-300

The Jacket kid

Sorry Goose, but its time to Buzz the tower...

Dudley, West Midlands
Cole

Postby G-CVIX on Tue 11 Dec 2018, 8:30 pm

Good news, hopefully it'll wear a nice new scheme. Could it be the last year of the Tucano solo?
G-CVIX

Postby minnie the moocher on Tue 11 Dec 2018, 10:33 pm

well thats me happy for 2019 :smile:
minnie the moocher

Postby jasonT1981 on Wed 12 Dec 2018, 2:20 pm

Brilliant, I spoke to the Tucano OC at RIAT in 2017 and he was saying he was wanting one last display season. Glad he got it :) Built just up the road from me in Belfast and I watched many of them roll out for their first flight.
jasonT1981

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 12 Dec 2018, 2:43 pm

Meh!

Double-Meh! if/when it takes up one of the display slots at RIAT.
Unofficial forum brauer und winzer
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby CJS on Wed 12 Dec 2018, 2:51 pm

Oh I dunno, I think for a small aircraft it has always displayed pretty well. The PC-9 displays of recent years have always been met with general approval, especially the Slovenian one. And the two types aren't that different, not really.
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?
CJS

Postby MiG_Eater on Wed 12 Dec 2018, 3:01 pm

The Slovenian PC-9 is a staggeringly good display and i'm sorry to say the Tucano never got close to it in my view.
MiG_Eater

Postby CJS on Wed 12 Dec 2018, 3:18 pm

MiG_Eater wrote:The Slovenian PC-9 is a staggeringly good display and i'm sorry to say the Tucano never got close to it in my view.

I agree with that, my point was that a Tucano and a PC-9 are not so different that both could not (in theory) be displayed effectively at RIAT, in response to BC's meh.
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?
CJS

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 12 Dec 2018, 4:17 pm

Granted it's not as big a Meh! as a Grotty Tutor display.
Brevet Cable

Postby BossMann on Wed 12 Dec 2018, 5:55 pm

Could no.72 Sq work up a display similar to the Slovenian PC9?

Just a thought - if they had a 2 ship 'synchro' display then the RAF could offer a team display to all the shows in July/ August/ September/ October to make up for the Reds not being there?? therefore no need to be like the Slovenian solo PC9..... until the RAF Texan display comes along!

Anyway its great to have another display from the RAF in 2019

Good luck to the team
BossMann

Postby capercaillie on Thu 13 Dec 2018, 9:59 am

Far too many blind to the everyday object.

The RAF Tucano routine has always been an absolutely first class piece of display flying, tight, energetic and constantly full of direction change and non stop action.

It might not be your cup of tea, fair enough, but personally I've always found it every bit as good as the Slovenian PC9. I'm sure had it been wearing a couple of Eastern European roundels instead and seen but once a year, the responses would be far more gushing. :dunno:
"The surrogate voice of st24"
capercaillie

Postby Wes_Howes on Thu 13 Dec 2018, 10:05 am

BossMann wrote:until the RAF Texan display comes along!

:lmao: With only 10 on the books, we'll be lucky if one turns up in a static park
Wes_Howes

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 13 Dec 2018, 10:07 am

I'm sure had it been wearing a couple of Eastern European roundels instead and seen but once a year, the responses would be far more gushing. :dunno:

Nah, it would still be a Meh! from me.
Brevet Cable

Postby Wrexham Mackem on Thu 13 Dec 2018, 4:02 pm

capercaillie wrote:Far too many blind to the everyday object.

The RAF Tucano routine has always been an absolutely first class piece of display flying, tight, energetic and constantly full of direction change and non stop action.

It might not be your cup of tea, fair enough, but personally I've always found it every bit as good as the Slovenian PC9. I'm sure had it been wearing a couple of Eastern European roundels instead and seen but once a year, the responses would be far more gushing. :dunno:

Exactly. Tucano demos have always been top quality aerobatic displays.

BossMann wrote:Just a thought - if they had a 2 ship 'synchro' display then the RAF could offer a team display to all the shows in July/ August/ September/ October to make up for the Reds not being there??

That's a good shout. During the Tucano's term of service I kept up a slim hope of the return of the Poachers, Blades or Swords, although in all reality a second RAF aerobatic team was never going to happen. However, a Gemini Pair reboot would seem feasible, and I agree, could be used to compensate in a small way for the Reds' absence. I'm sure it could be done, if someone were prepared to make the push.
its time to kick the tyres and light the fires

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151934326@N08/albums
Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Postby jasonT1981 on Thu 13 Dec 2018, 7:01 pm

Fully agree, the 2014 display was fantastic, especially the stall recovery routine.
jasonT1981

Postby GertrudetheMerciless on Mon 17 Dec 2018, 7:51 am

Wrexham Mackem wrote:
That's a good shout. During the Tucano's term of service I kept up a slim hope of the return of the Poachers, Blades or Swords, although in all reality a second RAF aerobatic team was never going to happen. However, a Gemini Pair reboot would seem feasible, and I agree, could be used to compensate in a small way for the Reds' absence. I'm sure it could be done, if someone were prepared to make the push.

Sadly the doubled cost, the need for two (serviceable) aeroplanes (so most weekends needing at least 3 if not 4 available) and losing 2 instructors for most of the summer would rule it out.
GertrudetheMerciless

Postby Spotty_Jag on Mon 17 Dec 2018, 10:13 am

So much pessimism. Prepare to be pleasantry surprised..! :ninja:
Spotty_Jag

Postby toom317 on Mon 17 Dec 2018, 10:30 am

BossMann wrote:.... until the RAF Texan display comes along!

If we ever see one flying. :biggrin:

As a fan of the warp speed, back end on fire, style of air display, I've always had a soft spot for the Tucano. Some nice paint jobs as well.
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.
toom317
UKAR Supporter

Postby Wissam24 on Mon 17 Dec 2018, 10:48 am

Spot on as always. Familiarity breeds contempt.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Postby Spiny Norman on Tue 18 Dec 2018, 10:34 am

The more the merrier. Look forward to seeing it.
Spiny Norman

Return to Aviation Waffle