William goes SAR

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
scarecrow450

Re: William goes SAR

Post by scarecrow450 »

Sorry mate but you are bang out of order in my opinion

and mine. I'd better tell tell the guys training on the Griffins at my work, don't worry SAR is a piece of we-we, its not danerous at all. Get real mate !!
:looser: :looser: :looser:

chrisb306

Post by chrisb306 »

scarecrow450 wrote:
Sorry mate but you are bang out of order in my opinion

and mine. I'd better tell tell the guys training on the Griffins at my work, don't worry SAR is a piece of we-we, its not danerous at all. Get real mate !!
:looser: :looser: :looser:

carry on :tumbleweed:

scotthldr

Post by scotthldr »

Is SAR a high risk job, yes. Is it dangerous, No. At the end of the day the crews only utilize the skills that they have learned, they do not place themselves or the a/c in harms way or go beyond their capabilities. As for Piper Alpha how was that dangerous for the crews? They could'nt get near the the rig cause of the heat and risk of explosion, and I fail to see what is so dangerous about winching some poor soul from a roof top in the middle of Sheffield. What they do is a great service and one that requires alot of skill no doubt about that, but you cannot put it in the same context as the crews in theatre that are flying nap of the earth, taking off/ landing in Brown out conditions while always under the threat of Manpads and small arms fire.

As for Wales doing it, why should he be allowed to fast track his training for his wings and be exempt from alot of training in doing so.

Height is Good

Post by Height is Good »

scotthldr wrote:Is SAR a high risk job, yes. Is it dangerous, No. At the end of the day the crews only utilize the skills that they have learned, they do not place themselves or the a/c in harms way or go beyond their capabilities. As for Piper Alpha how was that dangerous for the crews? They could'nt get near the the rig cause of the heat and risk of explosion, and I fail to see what is so dangerous about winching some poor soul from a roof top in the middle of Sheffield. What they do is a great service and one that requires alot of skill no doubt about that, but you cannot put it in the same context as the crews in theatre that are flying nap of the earth, taking off/ landing in Brown out conditions while always under the threat of Manpads and small arms fire.

As for Wales doing it, why should he be allowed to fast track his training for his wings and be exempt from alot of training in doing so.

You sir,with respect,I am afraid have no idea what you are talking about. Take it from one who has done both of the jobs you describe. Both can be equally as dangerous. Fact. :confused:
Last edited by Height is Good on Thu 18 Sep 2008, 6:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ben H
UKAR Supporter

Post by Ben H »

I was wondering how long it would take before you turned up, Gareth! :smile:

F-86

Post by F-86 »

Good luck to him.

Maybe a few people on here should take a look at the Wessex crash around 15 years ago and then say there is no danger, It doesn't have to be a bullet that brings down your aircraft. Just a simple mechanical failure is all it takes. I bet there is quite a few people in the world that owe their lives to a bright yellow helicopter and the crews that brave the weather just to rescue them.

scotthldr

Post by scotthldr »

You sir,with respect,I am afraid have no idea what you are talking about. Take it from one who has done both of the jobs you describe. Both can be equally as dangerous. Fact. :confused:[/quote]

Well that's your opinion, doesn't make it fact does it .

chrisb306

Post by chrisb306 »

F-86 wrote:Good luck to him.

It doesn't have to be a bullet that brings down your aircraft. Just a simple mechanical failure is all it takes. .

Totally agree with that and same applies to all flying. Yes SAR would be riskier with the added bad weather and tricky locations of where poeple are in need of help. I dont believe though that what they do is dangerous no more so than any other flying. All this comes down to perception. With some inexperienced guy at the controls maybe situations could be dangerous, but these pilots are highly skilled and the i am sure would only get involved in a rescue if it was safe to do so. I just cant see how William is showing bottle for wanting be a SAR pilot. I take nothing away from what a great job SAR crews do - lets hope the RAF continue to do it and its doesnt get privatised (but thats another story)

GertrudetheMerciless

Post by GertrudetheMerciless »

scotthldr wrote:As for Wales doing it, why should he be allowed to fast track his training for his wings and be exempt from alot of training in doing so.

And do you really think he'll go straight to the SAR OCU? Nope. It has been published in the press that his further training will take 18months. On can assume that this will include a top up at EFT (the rest of the course), DHFS (most of the course I suspect, which will take the majority of a year I suspect) followed by the standard OCU course (six months or so? Not being a heli-walla I don't know the figure).

I suspect once he arrives at the OCU, he'll be as qualified as any other graduate of Shawbury.

scotthldr

Post by scotthldr »

GertrudetheMerciless wrote:
scotthldr wrote:As for Wales doing it, why should he be allowed to fast track his training for his wings and be exempt from alot of training in doing so.

And do you really think he'll go straight to the SAR OCU? Nope. It has been published in the press that his further training will take 18months. On can assume that this will include a top up at EFT (the rest of the course), DHFS (most of the course I suspect, which will take the majority of a year I suspect) followed by the standard OCU course (six months or so? Not being a heli-walla I don't know the figure).

I suspect once he arrives at the OCU, he'll be as qualified as any other graduate of Shawbury.

Oh yes the press, the same press that stated he is going to RAF Kinloss for 18mths to continue training, on what I may ask??? I wasn't refering to the training to become SAR qualified, but the fast track training that was adapted for him alone in order to receive his wings in the first place. Please read the post.

Russ

Post by Russ »

scotthldr wrote:
You sir,with respect,I am afraid have no idea what you are talking about. Take it from one who has done both of the jobs you describe. Both can be equally as dangerous. Fact. :confused:

Well that's your opinion, doesn't make it fact does it .

I think Gareth is somewhat more qualified to comment than you, on whether it's dangerous or not. :whistle:

Mister Tee

Post by Mister Tee »

As usual the instant experts are on the loose again (someone who knows less and less about more and more until he knows f**k all about everything)

Yes Gareth is probably more qualified to to make his comments however I feel I am more qualified to comment on the pure SAR side. As for the hot sandy places, no comment as I have not been only seen some cracking reporting on TV and of course Ross Kemp.

Back to SAR. Yes it can be dangerous, especially if you are the winchman trying to get onto a fishing boat in a rough sea. However if at any time any member of the crew has his doubts about the safety aspects he just has to say so and the situation will be re-assessed. The SAR helicopter is not neccesarily the best method of rescue. Most crews do their damdest to get the job done but without putting their lives on the line.

You quote hovering over someones house over Sheffield can not be dangerous. Lose an engine and there is a fair chance that the aircraft is going to end up on the roof! Piper Alpha - lot of helicopters flying around in the dark, risk of a mid air pretty high while looking for survivors. Ocean Odessy three months later again a lot of helicopters flying around in low visibility with a high risk of a mid air. At one stage our crew was flying within 400 yards of the rig looking for the radio operator (sadly the only casualty). It was hot and I suppose it could have blown at any time but we got on with it because we all said lets give it a go. Try winching at night in the Cuillin mountains (Skye for the southerners) at night in 50-60kt winds. I could go on just from personnal experience.

Perhaps dangerous is the wrong word to use compared with what the SH guys are going through in Iraq and Afghanistan. Challenging perhaps? Still good luck to HRH, at least he picked the premier SAR force and not the navy!

Mister Tee

scotthldr

Post by scotthldr »

[quote="As usual the instant experts are on the loose again (someone who knows less and less about more and more until he knows f**k all about everything)

Back to SAR. Yes it can be dangerous,

You quote hovering over someones house over Sheffield can not be dangerous. Lose an engine and there is a fair chance that the aircraft is going to end up on the roof!

Perhaps dangerous is the wrong word to use compared with what the SH guys are going through in Iraq and Afghanistan. Challenging perhaps? Still good luck to HRH, at least he picked the premier SAR force and not the navy!

Mister Tee[/quote]

I'm no expert and at no point did I say I was. Yes we know it can be dangerous just not (in my opinion, if am allowed to have one on here) as dangerous as SH flying in operational theaters . As for losing an engine, well that can apply at any time to any form of flying(except gliding) not just SAR so that isn't anymore dangerous.

Your last statement is what I have been saying all along SAR has it's risks but not in the same league as SH flying in war zones.

This is my opinion so if people on here disagree and get upset then tough.

GertrudetheMerciless

Post by GertrudetheMerciless »

scotthldr wrote:
GertrudetheMerciless wrote:

Oh yes the press, the same press that stated he is going to RAF Kinloss for 18mths to continue training, on what I may ask??? I wasn't refering to the training to become SAR qualified, but the fast track training that was adapted for him alone in order to receive his wings in the first place. Please read the post.

I did. If you read my post, you'll see that I was explaining that he will very probably make the "fast track" wings, substantive, and merely pointing out that at then end of it, he wouldn't really have been expemted from anything. :smile:

flygirl

Post by flygirl »

fg1 wrote:But what will one do for polo when one is stuck in Anglesey?

One will improvise! :grin: :grin: Well done William. :grin:
We're not lost. We're locationally challenged. http://planemadanna.blogspot.com/

StephenEThomas

Post by StephenEThomas »

F-86 wrote:Good luck to him.

Maybe a few people on here should take a look at the Wessex crash around 15 years ago and then say there is no danger, It doesn't have to be a bullet that brings down your aircraft. Just a simple mechanical failure is all it takes. I bet there is quite a few people in the world that owe their lives to a bright yellow helicopter and the crews that brave the weather just to rescue them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDj6oYaYrR8

Not dangerous at all is it?

Providing he completes the full training course and proves his competence then that's fine as far as I am concerned. I wouldn't take anything away from anyone that wants to take an opportunity to use their skills to the full.

Just give us a wave at the fence when you get back to Shawbury William :wink:

Hellfire

Post by Hellfire »

SAR crews facing an easy job? Hardly!
I'd hope he gets Boulmer just to see him at the local :grin:
Wasn't meant to say anything but seen as the Sun has already released the info, before he goes SAR he is doing a army flying stint from Wallop on the squirrels and possibly Apache. Saw him there last week, very nice chap and am happy that he is at least being put to use in his forces role by going SAR.
Anyone saying SAR crews have an easy job may like to look at such videos from Boscastle and the likes where risk to their life is apparent and also the added pressure of other peoples lives being in danger every minute you spend looking for them. Lets not also forget these crews have likely been in warzones in their career also.