Bruntingthorpe Cold War Jets Open Day 25th August 2019

Post by @Britishjets »

Cold War Jets Open Day

Sunday 25th August 2019

Bruntingthorpe Airfield

Gates open at 9am
First taxi run 11am

Visit the largest collection of running Cold War Jets in the UK
see newly restored De Havilland Venom WR470 and Comet 4C Canopus. Witness the four engined power of legendary Handley Page Victor K2, Vickers VC10, and Hawker Siddeley Nimrod MR2. If that isn’t enough jet noise for you they will be joined by Blackburn buccaneers
English Electric Lightning’s, Hawker Hunter T7 and Royal Navy GA11,English Electric Canberra WT333. Also Jet Provosts MK3 & MK5, Iscra and L29

Work continues returning the worlds only running Sea Vixen XJ494 to taxiable condition as well as Armstrong Whitworth Meteor NF11 WM167.

Program subject to aircraft serviceability

AndrewW

Re: Bruntingthorpe Cold War Jets Open Day 25th August 2019

Post by AndrewW »

Plan to be there ! Hoping for better weather than last August.

@Britishjets

Post by @Britishjets »

So do we please spread the word and follow @britishjets and @cometcanopus on twitter

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

Welcome to the forum :love:

Thoroughly enjoyed my first visit last weekend. Hearing has just about returned to normal now :biggrin:

The thing that most struck me was the access visitors get to the aircraft. It’s not every day you get to sit in the cockpit of a Comet. Being so close to the taxiway is some experience too.

Will certainly be coming back in August.

Del

Post by Del »

What time does the event end ? (just working out travel arrangements)

@Britishjets

Post by @Britishjets »

No later than 6pm but we aim 4:30pm

@Britishjets

Post by @Britishjets »

borismorris wrote:Welcome to the forum :love:

Thoroughly enjoyed my first visit last weekend. Hearing has just about returned to normal now :biggrin:

The thing that most struck me was the access visitors get to the aircraft. It’s not every day you get to sit in the cockpit of a Comet. Being so close to the taxiway is some experience too.

Will certainly be coming back in August.

There is no event like it, where you will get the access to the aircraft and teams that look after them. We need your help to promote the event as costs are increasing and if we don’t get more people attending It may become too expensive to hold! Help us make this the biggest yet

sdad

Post by sdad »

"We need your help" - who is "We"?

robterry99

Post by robterry99 »

sdad wrote:"We need your help" - who is "We"?

It's a good question. Who is the 'we' which runs the Open Days? I always assumed it was Dave Walton with his Cold War Jets hat on.

So what's this Classic British Jets Collection?

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

Its certainly someone or some persons associated with Canopus (the Brunti Comet) or generally with the cold war collection there. A twitter search for @cometcanopus will reveal this.

I'm suspecting that other forum bods on here wish to know who exactly is behind this new profile right?

NAM Updater

Post by NAM Updater »

I felt quite proud to get a 'name-check' on that twitter timeline the other week; not sure if I'm a "bod" though! :snack:
Howard Heeley - Newark Air Museum Trustee
Every museum visit counts!
http://newarkairmuseum.org

robterry99

Post by robterry99 »

borismorris wrote:I'm suspecting that other forum bods on here wish to know who exactly is behind this new profile right?

I'd just like to know where my £20 I paid at the gate goes. Is it to Dave Walton's Cold War Jets? Or this mystery 'Classic British Jets Collection'? Or is it split between the various groups (Lightning Preservation Group, Buccaneer Aviation Group, VC10 Preservation Group, etc) to keep the various aircraft running and topped up with fuel?

Equinox806

Post by Equinox806 »

The open day gate money goes to the Walton's, it's in exchange for the various groups to operate rent free from the site, it is also used to pay for toilets and catering on the day. The comet is owned by the Walton family, but classic British jets group have assisted getting it back on its feet, the Walton family also use some of the money to cover fuel costs for the aircraft they own namely comet, nimrod,Victor,buccaneer XX900 and the iskra.

@Britishjets

Post by @Britishjets »

robterry99 wrote:
sdad wrote:"We need your help" - who is "We"?

It's a good question. Who is the 'we' which runs the Open Days? I always assumed it was Dave Walton with his Cold War Jets hat on.

So what's this Classic British Jets Collection?

The Classic British Jets Collection is one of the resident groups of aircraft owners/volunteers. For those of you that read flypast you will know of the AW Meteor NF11 ‘s arrival at Bruntingthorpe in January (by air no less) well it’s this Classic British Jets Collection that made this happen. She is also registered to us on the CAA registration.

The CBJC also operate the 2 JPs, Hunter GA11, Sea Vixen XJ494, Venom WR470. So we are far from a mystery group!!!

Feel free to follow our twitter account @britishjets and @

We were also in this months flypast with the sea vixens 60th Anniversary event.

Hope that clears up any questions as to our status!

Kind regards
Mark
CBJC

sdad

Post by sdad »

It does now but you should have made it clear from the start, particularly by following the Forum recommendations on signatures.

If you are recognised as a legal "person" by the CAA, is your structure being formalised or are you just "a group of volunteers"?

robterry99

Post by robterry99 »

sdad wrote:If you are recognised as a legal "person" by the CAA

The Classic British Jets Collection is not recognised by the CAA.

The aircraft in question, G-LOSM, is registered personally to Dave Thomas.

He gives his address as:

DAVID GEORGE THOMAS
CLASSIC BRITISH JET COLLECTION
BRUNTINGTHORPE AIRFIELD
LUTTERWORTH
LE17 5QS

... but equally that could read:

DAVID GEORGE THOMAS
SECOND PORTALOO ON THE LEFT
BRUNTINGTHORPE AIRFIELD
LUTTERWORTH
LE17 5QS

The inclusion of CBJC in the address of the registration means absolutely nothing. It is not a formalised organisation and has no means of owning property or entering into contracts.

There's a distinct lack of transparency here. Does money donated to CBJC go straight into Dave Thomas's pocket?

sdad

Post by sdad »

I love Brunty but when I went on an ordinary Sunday (non-taxi day), there was definitely only one portaloo!

AndrewW

Post by AndrewW »

Personally I think the team at Bruntingthorpe (owner + volunteers) do a fantastic job at keeping these aircraft running and accessible to the public on open days and Sundays. They deserve our full support.

I have no problem at all with the £20 ticket price and I have a high level of confidence that it is used to benefit the jets and cover the direct costs of the open days.

(I have no connection to Bruntingthorpe except as a visitor).

@Britishjets

Post by @Britishjets »

To those who are supportive of ours and the other groups at Bruntingthorpe’s continued preservation work please accept our thanks. We hope to see you at the August open day. To the detractors if you think you can do better please feel free to volunteer your time and come and help!!! If not take your negativity elsewhere!

Kind regards
Mark
Classic British Jets Collection

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

It's a great event, if only I lived closer I'd be able to attend it more easily. Exciting times too, with the Venom already joining the running fleet and the Meteor and Sea Vixen to follow.

Just a shame IMO for any keen photographers to have those white and blue barriers in the background of every shot ever since the event moved to the other end of the runway.

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

The Nimrod did its bit to remove a few of the hefty bollards at the last run. Most amusing.

I noted that it took two chaps to retrieve them from the trees too- the awesome power of the Jet blast :grin:

On the subject of negativity- what does it matter if the money is going in Tom, Dick or Harrys pocket- you wont see a Victor / Canberra/ Lightning/ Comet/ Nimrod etc moving under its own power anywhere else as far as I know.

@Britishjets

Post by @Britishjets »

Thank you guys hope to see you in August follow the updates on Facebook and Twitter for work ongoing in the lead upto the event

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

Just looking for some information, can anyone let me know what time roughly the last taxi run is please ?

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

lynothehammer wrote:Just looking for some information, can anyone let me know what time roughly the last taxi run is please ?

usally around 4 i think however the last time i went it was more bunched together due to the v.heavy rain!
Thomas

Roughcutter

Post by Roughcutter »

Does anyone know which end of the runway is being used on Sunday?