2010 Abingdon Charity Air & Country Show

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
RickIngham

Re: 2010 Abingdon Charity Air & Country Show

Post by RickIngham »

30 April 2010

Abingdon Air & Country Show – Official Statement

Due to circumstances beyond the organisers’ control, no fixed-wing aircraft will be operating from Abingdon Airfield for the Abingdon Air & Country Show on Sunday 2nd May 2010.

This is due to an issue surrounding the sign-off by Defence Estates, which owns the airfield, of the licence which is required to operate fixed-wing aircraft from Abingdon for the event.

The show’s flying display will still be going ahead as planned.

The fixed-wing aircraft that were due to operate from the airfield will no longer be able to do so, however these aircraft will now be operating from nearby RAF Brize Norton and flying in to Abingdon, without landing, to perform their displays.

The only aircraft on the ground during the show will be the helicopters forming the static display.

It is hoped some of the aircraft that were scheduled for the static display – including the RAF C-17 Globemaster – will be able to perform fly pasts during the afternoon flying display, while organisers are also working to secure additional items for the airshow to help ease this disappointing situation.

The Abingdon Air & Country Show would like to apologise to the public for any disappointment this will cause. They are keen to reinforce that the flying display is still going ahead as planned and that the show’s other attractions on the ground will be unaffected.

Ends

Taken from a post on Fighter Control........
Last edited by RickIngham on Fri 30 Apr 2010, 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeanW

Post by DeanW »

That's a shame, but I wonder how something like that can happen?! I did wonder why everything was going in to Brize!

captchaos

Post by captchaos »

At least those complaining about parked aircraft blocking their view will be happy.

Abingdonman

Post by Abingdonman »

Thats a damn bad show by the MOD people old chap,but hey ....lets get an airshow in quick before all the spending cuts start!

DamienB

Post by DamienB »

J35 Draken wrote:That's a shame, but I wonder how something like that can happen?! I did wonder why everything was going in to Brize!

You can blame Defence Estates. Not content with raising the cost by thousands each year - taking money directly from charity in effect - they have from all accounts been ever more obstructive to the show each year, and this latest edict that the airfield cannot be used to operate aircraft is their latest stunning PR move.

The Dutch F-16 crew inspected the runway today and found it perfectly suitable to operate from - if it were not for Defence Estates, you would have seen an F-16 taking off from Abingdon on Sunday along with all the other display acts.

At least the show is still on and the flying display will now be longer to make up for the lack of fixed wing aircraft on the ground.

Defence Estates: http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/Microsite/DE/ :loser:

Mr OAG

Post by Mr OAG »

The RAF Benson based Merlin and Puma helicopters arrived late afternoon today(though even these were only approved by MoD(DE) at lunchtime today)..and also on view is Dave Webbs immaculately restoreed ex-Culham labs Hunter GA11 cockpit section,WV381

Colin
Abingdon Air & Country Show
www.abingdonairandcountry.co.uk

Oxfordshire Aviation Group

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

This is terrible news!

Colin, can you tell us DE's reasoning for this at all?

Andy

Mr OAG

Post by Mr OAG »

boff180 wrote:This is terrible news!

Colin, can you tell us DE's reasoning for this at all?

Andy

Would rather not at this stage if you don't mind mate

see you Sunday

DamienB

Post by DamienB »

DanO1978 wrote:You could almost taste sour grapes, after the failure of the "official" Spirit of Avarice shambles there...

I should think that's a clear case of nail - head - hit.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

With a pre-paid ticket I will be there, just hoping the BBC/Met is wrong on the weather, otherwise its now going to be a long soggy morning!
To quote BBC weather..
Sunday will be very wet and rather windy, and turning much colder through the day.

May I suggest a UKAR protest gathering near the radio Caravan at 1000hrs?

Andy

Oldtower

Post by Oldtower »

Hi all - as you will have seen the DE had at 36hrs prior to showset up almost kyboshed the show. Myself & my father and the merry band of volunteers were choked at this decision & i won't say exactly how i feel right now, because that would be wrong - but to say myself & my father and one other memeber of the team have tried over a 72 hour period to negotiate.. as have many others in much higher places.

My decision was today after a final battle (which at least allowed the Military heli's in from Benson - two users of the airfield!!!) aswell as a few others to come from the base - the A109 & UH60 is still coming too!

My decision was to extend the Flying Display without a shadow of a doubt to help rememdy the situation, to now nearly being a 4 hour afternoon flying display sched which with alot of thinking and re-planning (again) 7 hopeful re-accomodating at nearby airfields i have produced the following:

Jet Provost T3
Harvard tbc
T28 Fennec
Swifts Glider Team
Hunter T7
DC3
Twister duo
RAF Hawk
RAF Tutor
RAF Tucano
R' Neth F16
Vampire
RAF VC10 (flythru's)
RAF BBMF
RAF C17 (Flythru)
And of course the Air Ambulance EC135 flythru's - to which we do the show for to which now i will ask if they can operate from us being as the non fixed wingers operating!

This has taken abit of juggling but there we go... the best i can do at short notice,

The full ground side will still carry on & Flying Display will start now around 1230ish... rather than 1.30...

Thanks for the many calls of support!
Last edited by Oldtower on Fri 30 Apr 2010, 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Team Merlin

Post by Team Merlin »

We are not really in a position to comment on the reasons for what has happened but just to confirm that 'P for Popsie' was safely delivered to Abingdon airfield this afternon where she is sat beside her Puma stablemate from 230 Sqn.
It looks like a helicopter only static this year and we expect to be very busy talking to you all. There are plenty of freebies to take away once again, including posters designed by UKAR's very own Dan Butcher.

If you don't know which one is a Merlin, look out for nice shiny UKAR/Team Merlin banner.

Please come and support Abingdon Air and Country Show who will still put o a great event despite the last minute setback Neil and his team have received.

Kind regards from allof us.

Ned Ludd

Post by Ned Ludd »

"No Fixed winged aircraft to operate from...." Has anyone told that to the resident VGS?

Iwishiwasapilot

Post by Iwishiwasapilot »

Rick wrote:
Oldtower wrote:
Static:
+ 1 tbc on the day!

Tease.........

Is it appropriate to say what the 'tbc' item was going to be, seeing as the bureaucrats have put paid to the static displays? :mad: I have travelled down from Cheshire today and whilst I will still be attending the show to show my support, these developments have left a bad taste in my mouth as I'm sure it has with others.

Oldtower

Post by Oldtower »

1 item tbc was to have been a C130J !!!

NAM Updater

Post by NAM Updater »

I did a talk at Welford last night and there were a few whispers doing the round about ‘ongoing negotiations’ – sorry to hear that it didn’t work out!

Nevertheless I hope you have a great show in support of some good causes! :clap:
Howard Heeley - Newark Air Museum Trustee
Every museum visit counts!
http://newarkairmuseum.org

Iwishiwasapilot

Any chance of a fly-through for the Herc?

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Considering all public bodies are subject to a Purdah right now, that is a very good point Dan! It may even have been a crime under the Purdah!

Mr OAG

Post by Mr OAG »

DanO1978 wrote:I trust the local papers are on the case? This threat to an event which boosts the local economy is a strong news story - especially at Election time... :whistle:

Local papers,radio and TV have been informed............

On behalf of Neil and the rest of his gang of Merry Men(& Ladies) a huge Thanks for all the messages of support at this difficult time...these have been a big help!!!!!!!!!

Hopefully between us all,the AACS organising committee have managed to still provide a good,value-for-money day out and that all things considered people will go home Happy and Satisfied after their day with us

see you all Sunday,and Thanks again
Colin &
Neil,Andy,Sue,Jason,Malcolm,Adrian,Brian and Jenny

patrouille2001

Post by patrouille2001 »

Hi Everybody
Even with this news, my brother and I will still be travelling down from Newcastle and hope everybody still supports this brilliant event.

Paul :smile:

DrBenR

Post by DrBenR »

Let's hope Dave Cameron (being a Witney boy!) can shame Brown into submission (again!!) God forbid a Nick Clegg governed airshow :biggrin: :biggrin: First the tiffie, then the rest!

Ben R

Benson Boy

Post by Benson Boy »

I'll be there on Sunday rain or shine!

Just wondering, but are all practises still on, and at the same times?

Cheers, BB

stuart n

Post by stuart n »

Oldtower wrote:Hi all - as you will have seen the DE had at 36hrs prior to showset up almost kyboshed the show. Myself & my father and the merry band of volunteers were choked at this decision & i won't say exactly how i feel right now, because that would be wrong - but to say myself & my father and one other memeber of the team have tried over a 72 hour period to negotiate.. as have many others in much higher places.

My decision was today after a final battle (which at least allowed the Military heli's in from Benson - two users of the airfield!!!) aswell as a few others to come from the base - the A109 & UH60 is still coming too!

My decision was to extend the Flying Display without a shadow of a doubt to help rememdy the situation, to now nearly being a 4 hour afternoon flying display sched which with alot of thinking and re-planning (again) 7 hopeful re-accomodating at nearby airfields i have produced the following:

Jet Provost T3
Harvard tbc
T28 Fennec
Swifts Glider Team
Hunter T7
DC3
Twister duo
RAF Hawk
RAF Tutor
RAF Tucano
R' Neth F16
Vampire
RAF VC10 (flythru's)
RAF BBMF
RAF C17 (Flythru)
And of course the Air Ambulance EC135 flythru's - to which we do the show for to which now i will ask if they can operate from us being as the non fixed wingers operating!

This has taken abit of juggling but there we go... the best i can do at short notice,

The full ground side will still carry on & Flying Display will start now around 1230ish... rather than 1.30...

Thanks for the many calls of support!

I'm sure all of those who go on Sunday will appreciate the hard work you've put into making sure the show goes on :worship: :clap:

Iwishiwasapilot

What's the plan for the flying display considering the forecast doesn't look too good? Will the Brize-based aircraft be ok to make the short hop to Abingdon and do a 'flat' display?

Vulcanhopefull

Post by Vulcanhopefull »

What a low blow to be dealt so close to a great event. Why would someone be so petty to restrict the use of an airfeild - beats me and at its 10th Aniversery is beyond contempt. I am so gutted for all the hard work that everyone has put in - it kind of make us all the more determined rain or shine to support such a worthy cause. I have phoned around all my freinds who were comiing and will spread the word to bring along even more to make it a succsess. I guess at this late hour the decision is cut and dried but even so really looking forward to a great day out and wish you all the best to make it a record day.
I for one will be making an extra donation to the Charity to show the beurocrats that people are more and mean more than some silly decision made by a spitefull beancounter can ever hope to achive.

Lets hope your event will grow even stronger as a result of all of this. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Nick.